CA, NY, and WA announce the formation of the US Climate Alliance
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:26:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CA, NY, and WA announce the formation of the US Climate Alliance
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: CA, NY, and WA announce the formation of the US Climate Alliance  (Read 3559 times)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2017, 08:36:13 AM »

Where's jfern to tell us that this is a useless stunt that is not good enough?

It is not. You should have the basic level of intellect & intelligence to understand that, otherwise you should learn the basics before making such an embarassing posts.

Considering a large part of the coal will not be into these 3-4 states, it doesn't go & address coal issues. Then you have vehicle emission issues, new standards. These states altogether don't even represent half of the population. You can do it by 3-4 states hobbling together. Are people even arguing about this?

I mean this is better than nothing, but this is pretty meaningless unless there are central guidelines for emission norms from power-plants, vehicle standards & huge boost to renewables !

You do know that most states are effectively tied to California's emissions standards for vehicles because of its size, heft and strictures, right?

Most =/= All. And secondly vehicular emissions are only 1 aspect. Coal & Fossil fuel electricity generation is a second aspect which has to be phased out with speedy transition to renewables. Then you have, reducing emissions through better technology from existing coal & fossil fuel plants (because it will take 30 years atleast to phase out fossil fuels). And you need to generate tremendous energy from renewables, especially in the Sun belt ! Some of the areas with the most renewable energy potential is the South where you have massive sunlight.

This is a global planetary crisis. What sort of approach is it in which the Federal government steps away & a handful of states instead try to manage. This is like - Not having an International agreement (Paris) & instead having 20-30 countries try & let the other countries do whatever they want. The whole purpose of the Paris agreement was to have every country in the world united for this. And it would absolutely require every country & every corner to fight to keep global temperatures below 2C.

US is already falling short of his target & having the Federal government pull out & leaving CA, NY & WA to deal with will meet a massive short-fall from the target ! I don't think people are understanding the magnitude of the problem !

My point is that CA standards become standards elsewhere by virtue of the size of CA's market
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2017, 08:38:18 AM »

It is not. You should have the basic level of intellect & intelligence to understand that, otherwise you should learn the basics before making such an embarassing posts.

Considering a large part of the coal will not be into these 3-4 states, it doesn't go & address coal issues. Then you have vehicle emission issues, new standards. These states altogether don't even represent half of the population. You can do it by 3-4 states hobbling together. Are people even arguing about this?

I mean this is better than nothing, but this is pretty meaningless unless there are central guidelines for emission norms from power-plants, vehicle standards & huge boost to renewables !

You do know that most states are effectively tied to California's emissions standards for vehicles because of its size, heft and strictures, right?

Most =/= All. And secondly vehicular emissions are only 1 aspect. Coal & Fossil fuel electricity generation is a second aspect which has to be phased out with speedy transition to renewables. Then you have, reducing emissions through better technology from existing coal & fossil fuel plants (because it will take 30 years atleast to phase out fossil fuels). And you need to generate tremendous energy from renewables, especially in the Sun belt ! Some of the areas with the most renewable energy potential is the South where you have massive sunlight.

This is a global planetary crisis. What sort of approach is it in which the Federal government steps away & a handful of states instead try to manage. This is like - Not having an International agreement (Paris) & instead having 20-30 countries try & let the other countries do whatever they want. The whole purpose of the Paris agreement was to have every country in the world united for this. And it would absolutely require every country & every corner to fight to keep global temperatures below 2C.

US is already falling short of his target & having the Federal government pull out & leaving CA, NY & WA to deal with will meet a massive short-fall from the target ! I don't think people are understanding the magnitude of the problem !

My point is that CA standards become standards elsewhere by virtue of the size of CA's market

Yeah, it's like Texas and school textbook standards.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:38 AM »

I love being able to breathe.

Some issues must be above states' rights, you know.

Yeah, I agree. It was meant as a joke (and it's great that these states have to ability to take responsibility and reduce carbon emissions). The GOP's stances on climate change and some social issues are really frustrating.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »

Some other states are working on Paris Agreement, such as Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Virginia and others.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-u-s-states-cities-vow-to-press-ahead-1496395806?mod=e2tw

TX Huh

Thanks god I live in a state that has a great governor.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:27 AM »

Yeah, it's like Texas and school textbook standards.

A more depressing example
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »

Some other states are working on Paris Agreement, such as Illinois, Texas, Michigan, Virginia and others.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/climate-change-u-s-states-cities-vow-to-press-ahead-1496395806?mod=e2tw

TX Huh

Texas is investing bigly in wind and solar these days iirc. I think the most Oil Strong states now are North Dakota and Oklahoma.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2017, 11:04:44 AM »

TX Huh

Texas is investing bigly in wind and solar these days iirc. I think the most Oil Strong states now are North Dakota and Oklahoma.

I'd probably add Louisiana to that list, too. Texas throwing its weight behind renewables has been really nice to see
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »

Based on his statement it sounds like Vermont too.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 06:05:50 PM »

So far we have:

1) NY
2) CA
3) WA
4) CT
5) MA
6) RI
7) VT

People are going to be drawing hypothetical lines for a future US breakup by the time this is done.

I wonder how closely the holdouts will map to the Confederacy?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »

So far we have:

1) NY
2) CA
3) WA
4) CT
5) MA
6) RI
7) VT

People are going to be drawing hypothetical lines for a future US breakup by the time this is done.

I wonder how closely the holdouts will map to the Confederacy?

And Appalachia.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »

This should be expanded to other issues too, like single payer health care. States should band together and establish single payer if the federal government won't do it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2017, 08:10:42 PM »

Good for him
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2017, 08:11:47 PM »

This should be expanded to other issues too, like single payer health care. States should band together and establish single payer if the federal government won't do it.

I'm curious if there'd be issues of interstate commerce clause stuff there. Anyone who knows constitutional law have any insight on that?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2017, 08:15:11 PM »

I'm curious if there'd be issues of interstate commerce clause stuff there. Anyone who knows constitutional law have any insight on that?

Article I, Section 10 might apply:

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »

Congress gave its consent when it notoriously refused to pass single payer.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2017, 08:34:05 PM »

Congress gave its consent when it notoriously refused to pass single payer.

That's not how Congressional consent works
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »

Take it from someone who lives in WA - this will prove less than the paper its printed on. Population booms mask the fact our state government is chronically terrible at handling projects.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2017, 10:50:38 PM »

Take it from someone who lives in WA - this will prove less than the paper its printed on. Population booms mask the fact our state government is chronically terrible at handling projects.

^^^^ this may be the understatement of the year
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2017, 11:47:05 PM »

Rhode Island has joined.

I'm sure other states have too.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »

Hawaii has joined.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 06:25:27 PM »

Potential states
CO
DE
MD
MN
MT
NC
OH
PA
PR
VA
DC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Climate_Alliance

http://www.iflscience.com/environment/eu-ignore-white-house-work-directly-states-paris-agreement/all/
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies