MN-08: Nolan won't run for Governor, will defend seat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:20:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN-08: Nolan won't run for Governor, will defend seat
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MN-08: Nolan won't run for Governor, will defend seat  (Read 1732 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:23:57 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Trump won this district 54-39; Obama won 52-46 in 2012. 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 11:37:57 AM »

This district will likely flip the moment he retires, but at least dems have it until 2020 now.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 02:18:29 PM »

Smart move. I like him and I wouldn't want to see him get lost in a crowded governor's race.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »

I like the guy. While he would make a good Governor, it's important to prevent a Trump-type from winning his seat.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 05:00:23 PM »

This was a smart choice for him and for Minnesota Dems in general.  If he ran for governor, the seat would be gone (probably even more gone than MN-01 is because at least Rochester is trending Dem there) and he would probably just split the rural and moderate vote with Walz and let a far left some dude through the primary.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »

He's a lot more left-leaning than Colin Peterson (by quite a big margin...) and he's quite popular in his area,  so this is definitely a win for the Dems.   
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 06:37:57 PM »

This was a smart choice for him and for Minnesota Dems in general.  If he ran for governor, the seat would be gone (probably even more gone than MN-01 is because at least Rochester is trending Dem there) and he would probably just split the rural and moderate vote with Walz and let a far left some dude through the primary.

If Trump's margin in MN-08 is the new norm, then Dems are in big trouble going forward at the statewide level in Minnesota.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »

I don't see this seat flipping now.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 06:42:53 PM »

If Trump's margin in MN-08 is the new norm, then Dems are in big trouble going forward at the statewide level in Minnesota.

In the long run, yes.  But Clinton still won statewide and there is probably some more swing left in MN-03 and possibly MN-02 to counteract what is happening in the outstate for a couple more cycles.    
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2017, 04:12:05 PM »

That is a humongous if
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2017, 04:42:27 PM »

Wrong. Starts at Lean D, at least.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2017, 05:28:38 PM »

In the long run, yes.  But Clinton still won statewide and there is probably some more swing left in MN-03 and possibly MN-02 to counteract what is happening in the outstate for a couple more cycles.    

MN-02 swung towards Trump, so I suspect that the GOP will be ok there. One of these districts is due to be dissolved, but that will strengthen the Republican performance in the outstate districts.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »

There is generally no "right" or "wrong" when it comes to ratings, especially at this point in time. I'm not surprised that we disagree here (like always), but let's not argue about this.

Nolan starts out as slightly favored, but this race is definitely winnable for Republicans with the right candidate (granted, a big if here). It's probably similar to the Wisconsin Senate race.

I'll concede the former, but Nolan is himself, exceptional. Yes, he won the last election by a point, but he won with 9% of the vote in '12. If Mills runs again and it turns out to be yet another Republican year, he could go down, but I'd expect something more like a 4-point win ATM.

As Badger said, there's a big "if" at play.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

I don't even think Mills is the right kind of Republican for this seat. I think someone who's more blue collar (mold of Lou Barletta) needs to run to win this seat back for the GOP.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 11:11:28 AM »

My dad was good friends with him, and I know him semi-personally, and as much as I would love to him be Governor (he'd be great, by the way), I worry about the vulnerbility of the seat without him in it. He'll continue to make the 8th Proud, though.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 01:25:03 AM »

Uh, Chris Coleman or Rebecca Otto are not "far left" by any definition of the term. Tina Liebling is to the left of both, but she's actually from Walz's district.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2017, 03:49:33 PM »

I don't even think Mills is the right kind of Republican for this seat. I think someone who's more blue collar (mold of Lou Barletta) needs to run to win this seat back for the GOP.

I don't think Stewart Mills is the right kind of Republican for any seat IMO.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

If the Dems hold the Gov and win the legislature in 2018-20, I expect them to combine the reddest parts of MN-7 and 8 when MN loses a seat. If Dems pick up MN 2,3 in the next two cycles I certainly expect them to take parts of MN-4 and 5 and move them into 2,3 to strengthen whoever wins in 2018 or 2020.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies