'Van hits pedestrians' on London Bridge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:39:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  'Van hits pedestrians' on London Bridge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 'Van hits pedestrians' on London Bridge  (Read 5597 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 05:59:10 PM »

Isis is not representative of Islam and most mainstream Muslims are disgusted by them BUT isis and related groups are a product of long running theological and organisational movements within Islam. They wouldn't exist without the theological cover provided by mainstreamised anti semitism, rampant ultra-sectarianism, the unending war for mythical 'purity', the patriarchal power structures etc etc

The mainstream Imans do not condone for a second this sort of violence or the idealogy of Isis (with good sense, as they would be the first ones up against the wall if Isis did take over) but they are responsible for the mindset that has allowed violent extremism to fester.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »

Except this is not Islamic terrorism. We don't know even know who is responsible yet. Given past events, it may be ISIS related, which would be part of an extremist faction completely unrepresentative of Islam.

No True Scotsman.
No, Castro is correct. That doesn't scuttle the fact that these incidents keep happening, and that they are coming from a certain segment of the population. But the religion itself isn't to blame, nor are the overwhelming majority of its followers. That is no canard.

Claiming that ISIS has nothing to do with Islam is the "no true Scotsman" argument fallacy, plain and simple.

I'm not commenting yet on who did this attack, but I am willing to bet that it wasn't the Amish or Mormons.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 06:02:57 PM »

Isis is not representative of Islam and most mainstream Muslims are disgusted by them BUT isis and related groups are a product of long running theological and organisational movements within Islam. They wouldn't exist without the theological cover provided by mainstreamised anti semitism, rampant ultra-sectarianism, the unending war for mythical 'purity', the patriarchal power structures etc etc

A lot of blame belongs to our dear Saudi friends, who spent billions of their petrodolars on spreading the wahhabi school of Islam all around the world. It wasn't uncommon for the to offer "humanitarian aid" in war- or disaster-affected places "for free, just attend our little madrasa we set up Smiley".

Can't think of a country that done more longterm damage in recent decades.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2017, 06:05:45 PM by DavidB. »

Call it for what it is. Some posters here would have no problem calling out White Terrorism, so call out Islamic terrorism. Stop beating around the bush.

Except this is not Islamic terrorism. We don't know even know who is responsible yet. Given past events, it may be ISIS related, which would be part of an extremist faction completely unrepresentative of Islam.
Spare us this bs.

Would you call, let's say, the LRA representative of Christianity? We can argue about the scale, but I can't possibly subscribe to this line of thinking.
ISIS are obviously not "representative" of Islam but that doesn't mean they don't base their actions on Islamic scripture and theology. Baruch Goldstein surely wasn't "representative" of Judaism and yet that doesn't mean it wasn't Jewish terrorism either. But that was one attack, and it now seems we can't even have a week without Islamic terrorism in Europe. Doesn't mean most Muslims agree with it, that's fortunately not the case, but let's not lie to ourselves about the source of these radicals' thoughts.

Edit: Crabcake formulated this way more eloquently. I agree with him.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 06:05:20 PM »

Call it for what it is. Some posters here would have no problem calling out White Terrorism, so call out Islamic terrorism. Stop beating around the bush.

Spare us this bs.

Would you call, let's say, the LRA representative of Christianity? We can argue about the scale, but I can't possibly subscribe to this line of thinking.
ISIS are obviously not "representative" of Islam but that doesn't mean they don't base their actions on Islamic scripture and theology. Baruch Goldstein surely wasn't "representative" of Judaism and yet that doesn't mean it wasn't Jewish terrorism either. But that was one attack, and it now seems we can't even have a week without Islamic terrorism in Europe. Doesn't mean most Muslims agree with it, that's fortunately not the case, but let's not lie to ourselves about the source of these radicals' thoughts.

All right, thanks for clarifying. They base their actions on very vulgarized and twisted interpretation of Islam. Heh, you can vulgarize every thought to justify your actions.

I'm not denying there's a problem and that they weren't Muslims, or at least considered themselves ones.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 06:09:42 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 06:11:46 PM »

Cab driver is a FF.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 06:13:28 PM »

Apologies for my thoughtless post, everyone.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »

Trump using this to push for the Travel Ban again.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2017, 06:23:08 PM »

Trump using this to push for the Travel Ban again.

Already?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2017, 06:24:07 PM »

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/871143765473406976
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »

Yeah, that's not going well.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2017, 06:31:48 PM »

I'm more convinced each week that a travel ban is necessary. Glad it's being expedited to the SCOTUS for clarity.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »

These terror attacks have to end. Nobody should be forced to deal with the ever looming threat of some random attack taking the lives of citizens as they go about their daily activities. Not in London, nor in Kabul, nor in any other city. People have a right to live peacefully and without needing armed soldiers posted on every street.

I'll reiterate what TSA said, which has been confirmed by other Muslims with whom I've spoken, that the Wahhabism school of Islam being spread globally by Saudi Arabia's foreign investments is a leading cause of this crisis. Couple that with imperialistic interventions into the "Islamic world," using religion as a cover for politically motivated attacks, mental illness and alienation, socioeconomic instability, and widespread Islamophobia, and you have the perfect recipe for terrorism.

We must find a way to resolve this crises before countless more innocents die.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2017, 06:32:45 PM »

I'm more convinced each week that a travel ban is necessary. Glad it's being expedited to the SCOTUS for clarity.

Even when the vast majority is caused by people ALREADY born in the country?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2017, 06:40:05 PM »

May confirms that it's treated as potential act of terrorism.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2017, 06:47:21 PM »

It could be the IRA as well.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »

the joke is, that the travel ban should have ended since....well...months, according to trump's schedule.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »

Yeah, and it could be Santa Claus as well. Who are you kidding?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »

Even when the vast majority is caused by people ALREADY born in the country?
Which is why more can't come here until the situation resolves itself. Which it will.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »

They declared a permanent ceasefire nearly twenty years ago and have destroyed all their weapons. Various dissident Republican groups exist but this sort of thing is really not their style for about eighty different reasons.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2017, 07:16:01 PM »

And if people want to clutch their lapels and pontificate 'pon the implications for American politics or whatever, I'm sure they can do so elsewhere...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2017, 08:17:50 PM »

My sympathy to the British, again. Been there, and it feels awful.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2017, 08:31:34 PM »

I heard on MSNBC that three attackers entered a bar and began stabbing patrons? That sounds horrifying.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »

I heard on MSNBC that three attackers entered a bar and began stabbing patrons? That sounds horrifying.

yeah, as a reaction they got attacked with chairs and bottles.

those terrorists are lacking any shred of human behaviour.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies