The Myth of the Kindly General Lee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Myth of the Kindly General Lee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Myth of the Kindly General Lee  (Read 2814 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 09, 2017, 10:19:31 PM »

Underrated by Northerners, Overrwted by Southerners.

His writings on slavery don't seem any more racist than Abraham Lincoln's, and his racial problems were societal problems.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »

Lee was raised by a family, in a society, dedicated to promoting slavery. It was their livelihood, so they had to support it. The divide widened in a dangerous display of opinion-based brinkmanship and escalation: as the North become more anti-slavery, the South become more pro-slavery. Lee had to become even more pro-slavery than his ancestors because the more the North pushed, the more pressure was put on the more moderate slaveowners.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:14:37 PM »

I just listened to a podcast from Tom Woods from a few days ago on James Madison and the protest against his name on a high school as a part of overall iconoclasm that was associated with figures from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Near the end of the podcast they mentioned about white Southerners one or two generations ago having pictures of Robert E. Lee hanging on their walls next to Jesus.

My grandparents who lived in Nashville were Methodist educators and did not make overt mention of the war of Northern Aggression or say 'the South will rise again" or hang Confederate flags or pictures of Confederate figures or those times in their house. They lived in the same neighborhood as Lamar Alexander - literally two houses down the street from him. So my experience there and with my cousins was not one like that but then that was the 80's and in a fair-sized city. And in college also in Nashville at Vandy I did not see that. The first time I really saw the old stereotype full on was when I lived in Morristown in eastern TN - not as much in Morristown itself but in the surrounding rural counties. I suspect there could be a few old guys there who still felt that way.

What about in Arkansas from your experience?

The Confederate flag and its like are unanimously seen as deplorable in my circles, but among those who are hurting, among those in poverty, there is an unfortunate amount of Confederate flags. These are the people Howard Dean famously said he wanted the vote of and was so viciously attacked for saying. These are the people who are hurting and who are ignored and have been for so long. I don't defend their views, but I will defend them as people who are radical for good reason.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »

Let us judge all men relative to their time, region, and culture, for otherwise we live in a world of absolutes, and in a world of absolutes there is no room for error.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies