The Myth of the Kindly General Lee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:56:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  The Myth of the Kindly General Lee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Myth of the Kindly General Lee  (Read 2839 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 12, 2017, 09:14:38 PM »
« edited: July 12, 2017, 09:16:30 PM by PR »

Let us judge all men relative to their time, region, and culture, for otherwise we live in a world of absolutes, and in a world of absolutes there is no room for error.

This discussion reminds me: as utterly loathsome and horrifyingly racist Woodrow Wilson's views on black people and many immigrant groups obviously were, was he really that out of the ordinary for a well-educated white Southerner who came of age through the Civil War and Reconstruction and who, being an elite American/Western academic/intellectual of his time, subscribed to the same kinds of elitist, elaborately constructed (intellectually speaking) racist and classist ideologies that were so fashionable in elite circles during the late 19th and early 20th centuries (with such unforgettable contributions from this period including eugenics)?

I guess what I'm saying here is that Wilson was very much a man of his time - specifically, a man of his regional, cultural, generational, and social class background. None of this excuses Wilson, of course; rather, it damns the many more of that era who were like Wilson, to one extent or another, in addition to Wilson himself.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies