Do y'all use food stamps?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:30:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do y'all use food stamps?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Do y'all use food stamps?  (Read 391 times)
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »

This just came to me when I was watching something bout embarrassment of using food stamps.

Yes my family uses food stamps and I'm not embarrassed by it (as you all can probably tell I know quite a few people around here who use food stamps and are often excited by getting them. Tongue)

Anyways, do you use them and are you embarrassed by using them or other people around you using them if you don't?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 05:34:14 PM »

No, but there's no reason to be embarrassed of it.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 05:48:12 PM »

No, but there's no reason to be embarrassed of it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:44:33 PM »

I used to grocery shop for my disabled mom who had food stamps...and it was a little embarrassing.  But I wasn't ashamed and I knew I shouldn't be embarrassed.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:16 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:01:59 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 11:08:30 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

Food Stamps are one of the best Social Benefit Programs this country has ever established. That any man, woman, or child should be able to buy food for themselves should be a guarantee in our nation. I am sickened the way this program has been attacked or even cut by some who view it as a good way to gain reputation, by starving those who are in need of assistance in the assurance of their basic human need to not be hungry.

But, no, I would not feel ashamed, nor would I take it for grantite, as I try not to with all of the privleges I have been given by being born into a family where there is no worry about the next meal.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »

No, all my postage is inedible.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »

No, although my dad is a disabled veteran so a large majority of my parents' income is from the government. So not technically, although kinda since the money helps support us. So just more indirect food stamps.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »

No, and even though there should be no embarrassment I think there is among some users.,  especially when they have to check out twice - once for the items covered by the card, and once for the items not included under the card.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 01:59:06 PM »

No

You shouldn't feel embarrassed using them.  Unless you're wearing $300 worth of clothing when you do it, or drove there in a $25k vehicle.  And perhaps you should feel guilty if you're a healthy adult and have been on them for years.  But if you're in need, no, you shouldn't feel embarrassed and anybody that gives you sh**t for it is an asshole.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »

No, and even though there should be no embarrassment I think there is among some users.,  especially when they have to check out twice - once for the items covered by the card, and once for the items not included under the card.

I never realized that was the case. I guess it has to be unless you're buying nothing off the food stamp card, but that sucks
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »

I never realized that was the case. I guess it has to be unless you're buying nothing off the food stamp card, but that sucks

I know cigarettes aren't covered by the card but there seems to be several other things.......I do the weekly shopping so I've noticed it more than a few times.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 03:41:00 PM »

I know cigarettes aren't covered by the card but there seems to be several other things.......I do the weekly shopping so I've noticed it more than a few times.

I believe candy and pop are off the list. Can't say that's a bad thing. Alcohol obviously.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 03:54:05 PM »

I believe candy and pop are off the list. Can't say that's a bad thing. Alcohol obviously.

The list is weird. Candy, soda, and gum are eligible. "Prepared" food like you would get at a restaurant is not. Rotisserie cooked chickens like they sell at Wal-Mart are not eligible if you get them from under the heat lamp, but the exact same chickens, cooked on the same date and packaged exactly the same are eligible if you get them from the ice. The difference is the hot chicken is considered "prepared" and the cold chicken is not, even though both have been cooked, and the cold chickens are often just the hot chickens they were unable To sell that day. Seems unnecessarily complicated and inconvenient.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 05:46:14 PM »

The list is weird. Candy, soda, and gum are eligible. "Prepared" food like you would get at a restaurant is not. Rotisserie cooked chickens like they sell at Wal-Mart are not eligible if you get them from under the heat lamp, but the exact same chickens, cooked on the same date and packaged exactly the same are eligible if you get them from the ice. The difference is the hot chicken is considered "prepared" and the cold chicken is not, even though both have been cooked, and the cold chickens are often just the hot chickens they were unable To sell that day. Seems unnecessarily complicated and inconvenient.

I think there has been some proposal to change this. Definitely should be, considering some of the very poorest do not have the facilities available to them to prepare food.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies