Is Joe Kennedy a viable candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:31:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Is Joe Kennedy a viable candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is Joe Kennedy a viable candidate?  (Read 602 times)
hueylong
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »

I've been impressed by him. A possible criticism of his candidacy might be that the rejection we saw in 2016 of both Jed Bush and Hillary may point to a public that is sick and tired of political dynasties/families, and while that is probably out there to some degree I don't think it's as meaningful a sentiment as some have made it out to be. Give people a strong, compelling candidate who's not buried in controversy and they won't really care what their surname is. It's also just as likely that his lineage helps, not hurts him. He's scandal-free and has a sincerity/earnestness that most other politicians do not. Even if you think he's disingenuous, what possible evidence do you have? He has an excellent record of public service, and he doesn't give off the impression at all that there's some murkiness hidden beneath the nice exterior. Contrast him with someone like Booker, who looks great on the surface but has a ton of baggage underneath it all. I saw a thread recently which discussed Dem messaging in 2020, and whether it should be a continuation of what we've seen or something nastier and more aggressive, something that 'goes for the jugular.' Most posters seemed to opt for the latter, which makes sense. The natural inclination is to pick the strategy that's been proven to work. But I don't think enough consideration was given to how the efficacy of a positive message can vary drastically depending on who's delivering it. Contrary to what many think, a 'when they go low, we go high' strategy CAN work, and work wonders, assuming you have the right candidate. In this sense, Hillary, as much as I respect her, obviously wasn't the right candidate.  You can claim the moral high ground when voters can reasonably believe you actually are morally and ethically superior to your opponent. Also, 'he doesn't have much experience' doesn't have much weight either, for obvious reasons. That too is becoming less and less important.

I'm certainly not the only one looking at this, considering his facebook and twitter pages are absolutely inundated with 'Run for pres!' posts, and he's been getting more attention as of late for his impassioned speeches on the House floor.

So, what are his flaws? I'm positive they exist (nobody is perfect), but he seems to be a far stronger candidate than most of the options floating around currently, like Warren and Booker.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 05:50:48 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 05:53:32 PM by Del Tachi »

He's a coddled rich kid who used his name and family money to get a seat in Congress without ever accomplishing anything of merit.

Please no more Kennedys - America's most overrated, ineffectual and corrupt political dynasty.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 06:34:40 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 06:36:49 PM by RFKFan68 »

One president from nearly 60 years ago who didn't even finish his first term is not dynastic to me. I would like to see him elected to the Senate or possible cabinet position in the next Democratic administration before he ran. By 2028, there probably will not even be anyone alive who actually remembers the JFK administration first hand and there will certainly be no coalition of voters that have an allegiance to him ala the Bushes or Clintons.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 06:35:44 PM »

double post
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2017, 07:08:08 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2017, 07:27:05 PM by Del Tachi »

One president from nearly 60 years ago who didn't even finish his first term is not dynastic to me.

Less we forget the other 15 Kennedys who have held public office since 1895.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wrong.  People who were in high school when JFK was President won't even be 80 by 2028.

I would challenge that the appeal of Dubya and Hillary were due to the fact that they came from political dynasties, if anything it was more of a liability for them.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2017, 07:28:40 PM »

I think he needs to get his hands dirty and get into the Governor's Mansion in 2022 or run for Senate when Markey or Warren retires.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 07:36:03 PM »

One president from nearly 60 years ago who didn't even finish his first term is not dynastic to me.

Less we forget the other 15 Kennedys who have held public office since 1895.

Wrong.  People who were in high school when JFK was President won't even be 80 by 2028.

I would challenge that the appeal of Dubya and Hillary were due to the fact that they came from political dynasties, if anything it was more of a liability for them.
On your first point I thought we were simply discussing the presidency. My bad.

I also did the math totally wrong when I made that second point so I stand corrected lol.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »

No. Too gingy.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 11:00:03 PM »

I agree. America just isn't ready for a ginger president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies