Opinion of Millennial bashing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:40:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Millennial bashing?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
FM

HM

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Opinion of Millennial bashing?  (Read 2058 times)
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »

Bad idea. As a Gen Xer I think millennials are great.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:32 AM »

In ten years, Millenials will be bashing the next generation just as well. And after twenty years, said generation will bitch about those who followed them.

Are you implying this is bad?

I'm just saying this is natural order of things.

Oh, I completely agree. Every single generation has been worse than the one before it since the beginning of time.

Indeed. How dare some younger folks remind me that I'm not going to live forever.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 10:08:10 AM »

In ten years, Millenials will be bashing the next generation just as well. And after twenty years, said generation will bitch about those who followed them.

Oh, I completely agree. Every single generation has been worse than the one before it since the beginning of time.

Indeed. How dare some younger folks remind me that I'm not going to live forever.

Who would want immortality in a world such as this?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 10:44:50 AM »

Who would want immortality in a world such as this?

A masochist?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 11:33:30 AM »

Millennials deserve plenty of hate (inasmuch as it is proper to hate a class of people), though I suspect that the worst snowflakish tendencies of this generation are not nearly as ubiquitous as their detractors assume.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2017, 11:55:49 AM »

bashing millennials is fun and easy....like your mom

Dammit Deadman. Such an inane and juvenile joke, and yet you still got me to giggle like a fifth grader
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »

bashing millennials is fun and easy....like your mom

Dammit Deadman. Such an inane and juvenile joke, and yet you still got me to giggle like a fifth grader

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 12:38:41 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2017, 01:31:17 PM by Senator Scott »

One must remember that (1) Boomers destroyed America; and (2) every subsequent generation has had to deal with the social fallout for that, that said, this does not excuse Millennials for the way they appear to have wholeheartedly embraced the disgusting trappings of modernity. This is not political; it simply stands that many strands of youth culture with regards to fashion and fads are God-awful. Social media, when not used sarcasticakkt, is garbage. Politically, a number appear denationalized or, conversely, to have embraced some sort of faux-patriotism handed down to them that consists mainly of drinking domestics while shouting "Lock 'er up, boyz!" I will nevertheless grant them that they (1) appear to live more "sustainable" lives than those of their materialistic forebears; and (2) have helped call into being some great postmodern television shows. I suspect Z will be even worse.
Utterly lame. Not only does it follow literally millennia of similar "what about those kids today" criticism, it's more unjust than most considering how bad the baby boomers have screwed up and what the millennials have to "look forward to" in this country. 

Agree with both these posts.

I mostly like to bash the Boomers because ultimately they are the generation that helped steer us toward a things-oriented society from a person-oriented society.  The "Alex P. Keaton generation," if you will.  (And this is mostly something I blame on the younger Boomers... the hippies were not saints and I wouldn't have been on board with a good amount of the libertine practices that went on during that subculture, but at least they valued tight-knit communities and rejection of mass-produced consumer trash.  Sort of like the Amish in a way but without the shunning and bizarre religious practices.)

When the younger Boomers started growing up is when sht started hitting the fan.  The 1980s marked the start of the current fusion between cheapened Westernized religious faith and the ruthless acquiring of... well, stuff.  Lee Atwater said it best: the '80s were all about acquirement - acquiring wealth, acquiring power, acquiring prestige.  We have not moved past that decade at all.  If anything, we (myself included) have allowed ourselves to become worse in that regard because we increasingly make decisions based on what is most expedient for us.  What is going to allow me to feel the most "pleasure," not taking into account the consequences which affect us or nature or the people around us.  Now we are paying the price spiritually as well as physically and mentally.  The environment is collapsing more by the day as we withdraw further from nature.  Humans have become over-socialized - well beyond what nature and evolution intended.

And, with that, I question whether there are any feasible political solutions available.  I really don't think there are.  Humans will continue to over-consume and the earth will continue to deteriorate under our feet.  Technology, in a very ironic sense, could be our last saving grace in undoing the damage we've caused over the last century to our own planet, but will it be enough?  That is what remains to be seen. Whether we can regain our spiritual health, as well as our moral conscience, is a whole 'nother question.

Unfortunately, per usual, I am not optimistic. *unclenches lapel*
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:27 PM »

It's hilarious how people who do it think they're being very clever and provocative, even though all they are doing is parroting conventional wisdom.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »

I just saw an Instagram post that uses "Boomerang". Burn everything.

How had you managed not to see one before? I've always thought this was very common.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2017, 03:06:48 PM »

Silly and stupid. I don't believe this nonsense that some generations are better than others.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2017, 03:44:00 PM »

I just saw an Instagram post that uses "Boomerang". Burn everything.

How had you managed not to see one before? I've always thought this was very common.

I only first saw one recently, thank God, but I usually forget about the damned "thing" after a few seconds.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »

One must remember that (1) Boomers destroyed America; and (2) every subsequent generation has had to deal with the social fallout for that, that said, this does not excuse Millennials for the way they appear to have wholeheartedly embraced the disgusting trappings of modernity. This is not political; it simply stands that many strands of youth culture with regards to fashion and fads are God-awful. Social media, when not used sarcasticakkt, is garbage. Politically, a number appear denationalized or, conversely, to have embraced some sort of faux-patriotism handed down to them that consists mainly of drinking domestics while shouting "Lock 'er up, boyz!" I will nevertheless grant them that they (1) appear to live more "sustainable" lives than those of their materialistic forebears; and (2) have helped call into being some great postmodern television shows. I suspect Z will be even worse.
This post is 100% Cathcon. Beautiful. Nothing to add.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2017, 06:56:53 PM »

Generational labels are so stupid
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2017, 07:14:30 PM »

If you're gonna attack millennials, you need to attack us on the right things. I wrote about this in another post, but a lot of the social indicators that many social conservatives like to point to to prove the moral fabric of society is deteriorating just isn't true. In fact millennials have reversed a lot of those negative societal indicators.

This should get more attention imo.

Honestly, I do and I don't understand the Millennial hate by older folks. On one hand, of course older generations dislike Millennials - they are much different in their views/politics, and that makes them an easy scapegoat (eg "If only those Millennials would think and vote like us, we wouldn't have these problems (that we helped create and perpetuate)!"), however, on the other hand, Millennials have not yet had a large enough impact on this country to really deserve any hate. Politically-speaking, they have yet to truly flex their muscle in voting strength, and so far contribute anemic levels of politicians. As far as the cultural aspect goes, along with impacts to things like crime, education, etc - Millennials have contributed much more positively than Boomers ever did.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2017, 09:04:17 PM »

Utterly lame. Not only does it follow literally millennia of similar "what about those kids today" criticism, it's more unjust than most considering how bad the baby boomers have screwed up and what the millennials have to "look forward to" in this country. 

I mostly like to bash the Boomers because ultimately they are the generation that helped steer us toward a things-oriented society from a person-oriented society.  The "Alex P. Keaton generation," if you will.  (And this is mostly something I blame on the younger Boomers... the hippies were not saints and I wouldn't have been on board with a good amount of the libertine practices that went on during that subculture, but at least they valued tight-knit communities and rejection of mass-produced consumer trash.  Sort of like the Amish in a way but without the shunning and bizarre religious practices.)

When the younger Boomers started growing up is when sht started hitting the fan.  The 1980s marked the start of the current fusion between cheapened Westernized religious faith and the ruthless acquiring of... well, stuff.  Lee Atwater said it best: the '80s were all about acquirement - acquiring wealth, acquiring power, acquiring prestige.  We have not moved past that decade at all.  If anything, we (myself included) have allowed ourselves to become worse in that regard because we increasingly make decisions based on what is most expedient for us.  What is going to allow me to feel the most "pleasure," not taking into account the consequences which affect us or nature or the people around us.  Now we are paying the price spiritually as well as physically and mentally.  The environment is collapsing more by the day as we withdraw further from nature.  Humans have become over-socialized - well beyond what nature and evolution intended.

And, with that, I question whether there are any feasible political solutions available.  I really don't think there are.  Humans will continue to over-consume and the earth will continue to deteriorate under our feet.  Technology, in a very ironic sense, could be our last saving grace in undoing the damage we've caused over the last century to our own planet, but will it be enough?  That is what remains to be seen. Whether we can regain our spiritual health, as well as our moral conscience, is a whole 'nother question.

As somebody who actually watched Family Ties in prime time, Alex Keaton's parents were actually the quintessential Baby Boomers. Keaton was a Gen Xer like me. (Well, not at all like me truth be told, but you get what I'm saying). 
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2017, 09:57:38 PM »

Freedom Move.

A good amount of millennials are HPs and its an overall mediocre generation.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2017, 10:12:21 PM »

As somebody who actually watched Family Ties in prime time, Alex Keaton's parents were actually the quintessential Baby Boomers. Keaton was a Gen Xer like me. (Well, not at all like me truth be told, but you get what I'm saying). 

Oh, I forgot about that.  I tend to unknowingly lump the Gen Xers in with the Boomers at times...*

So I guess it's the Gen Xers who matched the spirit of the 80s best, along with younger Boomers.  Although it is still mostly Boomers who run the world now, so that's why they get the bulk of the sht dumped on them.  That and paranoia over Social Security and Medicare, which are really idiotic things to hate an entire generation for.

*And Michael J. Fox was born in the early 60s, so... Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »

I do find it hilarious that millennials can't handle the same kind of generational criticism that every young generation faces. The fact that we have a thread about it sorta proves my point.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies