Texas Middle School Says Student Called ‘Ape’ And ‘Slave’ Wasn’t Bullied
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:10:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas Middle School Says Student Called ‘Ape’ And ‘Slave’ Wasn’t Bullied  (Read 1094 times)
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 09:02:17 AM »

Is this on a real news site somewhere? It's a little too much to believe.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:33:50 AM »

Dallas News
Daily Mail
NY Daily News
NY Post
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »

The same story is reported in the Austin American-Statesman.

I don't find it hard to believe, but then I have a 12-year-old who attends a public school.  Lots of bullying happens in school.  I hear about it every day.  I think that in most cases the children don't really mean harm because they're young and ignorant, and usually not much harm is done.  Clearly the student at Tippit Middle School was bothered and she told them to stop.  The school even issued a report saying the girl "was a victim of more than one incident of racially harassing conduct," so I don't think it's a question of whether this happened.

I have noticed that children start to think about ethnicity quite a bit at that age.  My son has started to specifically describe classmates as "this black boy" or "this Asian girl" and the like.  And it's not just him.  I hear it from his mates as well.  He also has commented that someone asked him, "what is your nationality?" and he asked, "what do you mean?" and the other child said, "you know, like Italian or Puertorican or Mexican or Indian..."  There's not necessarily anything wrong with noticing ethnicity, but it is noteworthy that the children do start to think about such things at this age.  

I also think they're starting to study the history of society in more detail than they did in elementary school.  They read "Diary of a Young Girl" and learn about the Shoah.  They read about the westward expansion of the US and the corresponding destruction of the native cultures.  They read about the trans-Atlantic slave trade and the Middle Passage.  They learn that for many decades after Jefferson wrote that men are "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" planters were still enslaving millions in this country.  They need time to process such unsettling information.  

I think the girl's father mainly is dissatisfied with the handling of the matter by the school.  He says it was a teachable moment, and he's right.  Here's a very interesting quote from the father:  "It makes me feel like the school district is sweeping this under the rug.  Georgetown ISD has had a least a few suicides in the last five years resulting from bullying. … I don’t have that concern for my daughter, but I’m sure other parents didn’t think their kids were suicidal either."
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:35 AM »

Yeah, this is terrible. Children sometimes do terrible things, and they have to be disciplined so that they don't turn into monsters as adults.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 09:48:23 AM »

What an idiot.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »

Yeah, this is terrible. Children sometimes do terrible things, and they have to be disciplined so that they don't turn into monsters as adults.
I agree, and bullying in particular should be punished severely and not treated as simply "kids being kids". Yes, we humans have the capacity to be exceptionally mean and cruel to one another, but no one should grow up thinking that makes bullying "all right".
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »

Apparently they were assigned some community service and something called "re-teaching" happened.  The father has a problem with the fact that they didn't use the word "bullying."  He's a lawyer so he probably has some training in manipulating people with words.  I tend to agree with him.  It's just a word, but given that it's so emotionally charged these days it's an important label.  If the children are made to understand that they are being bullies, then they'll probably think twice about it.

The father also pointed out that these children are probably learning bigotry at home.  (I'm paraphrasing.)  He might be right, but it's hard to say.  He told the reporters that he also asked the mother of the girl involved in two of the incidents to meet with him, but that she wouldn’t.  That was probably a good move, because it'll make the mother nervous enough to handle her daughter.  It could backfire, though.  Many bullies are bullied at home.  That's where they learn it.  If she's being smacked around and humiliated by her parents, making Mama nervous could make matters worse. 

I don't think the schools should squash every bit of creativity and freedom in the students--and sometimes it seems like that's what they're doing--but I do think that if a student is being such a jerk that it creates a hostile learning environment for another student, then you have to involve the parents of the abusive child, and the school psychologist.  The point isn't to embarrass or torture the child--I disagree with kneejerk suspension policies and "three strikes" rules--but to make them understand that they're hurting others and, ultimately, themselves unless they can learn social skills.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:23:38 AM »

I tend to agree with Angus. When the one 12 year old boy allegedly denied having racially ton of the girl with the defense of you wouldn't take a black person's word over a white person would you comma that's pretty damn indicative they are getting some awful lessons at home. Also note to him is future client if he moves to Ohio, things like that are not EX culpatory.

I remember when I was maybe 9 years old or so the family we're all driving home from a Pirates game with the windows down. Slow rate of speed traffic and pedestrians when some middle-aged guy with his wife called out to their daughter who's about my age starting to go to the street, saying in his nonchalantly as could be, hunting come back here now before some crazy Niger runs you over. Again, he didn't say this angrily, but just as nonchalantly as hey dear please tie your shoelaces. I in my entire family first out laughing at the guy. It took a full block or two before we could stop laughing at this guy's idiocy. After we had calm down though my mother made the Salient point that she really felt sorry for that little girl because she was going to grow up in a home where attitudes and language like that where the norm, and idolizing her parents as most kids do at that age she would in all likelihood adopt the same ignorant racist mentality now I'm having much chance for an alternative.

I was like to think that girl went off to college and came home with her African-American fiance from graduate school for engineering or the like.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2017, 11:37:30 AM »

That's the modern youth for you all, it's quite common.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2017, 01:09:04 PM by Caripace Clavicle Moundshroud »

LOL. This is par for the course for minority children in America. They can't even play live multi player video games without being subjected to racial abuse, it's no surprise it's increasing in the real world.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »

Wait why would you distinguish racial harassment from bullying?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 05:03:58 PM »

Thank god we have the LEAST racist person ever as president!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 07:27:17 PM »

Thank god we have the LEAST racist person ever as president!
Another Canadian is racist against orange people. Shocking! (Not.)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 07:30:46 PM »

They're learning it from their president.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »

I think it's time to change your username. Nothing I have seen from your posting habits indicate you have any "independent" political views.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 08:09:05 PM »

I think it's time to change your username. Nothing I have seen from your posting habits indicate you have any "independent" political views.

Most political "independents" would agree based on opinion polls. Likewise most "independent" observers would likely agree Trump ran and governs using a plethora of race-baiting dog whistles (not to mention having literally the whitest administration in half a century (outside of token black arch-conservative loon Ben Carson).

When the paper reports on how lousy the local team's pitching was when they give up 10 runs in the first inning, it's not because the paper has an "unfair bias" against the team.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies