Main Street Priorities - Speech in Phoenix
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:53:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Main Street Priorities - Speech in Phoenix
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Main Street Priorities - Speech in Phoenix  (Read 129 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »

PHOENIX, ARIZONA
7:00 PM, August 16, 2017

Good Evening-

A few months ago I made a statement that Main Street Federalist was about good schools, good roads and good healthcare. Today I will elaborate on that somewhat and articulate some precise actions we have taken and those I plan to push for in the eighth Congress if reelected to the People's House.

For me, main stream federalism is a combination of conservatism with an acknowledge of a responsibility to build up our society and work to bring people together as a strong, more vibrant community. It does believe in smaller government, it most certainly believes in a small government in Nyman. But at the same time it acknowledges that government has areas of responsibilities and that it has an obligation to the people to look after those responsibilities.

On healthcare, the federal government should strive to minimize its role in favor of the regions and there should be a preservation of market choice and competition to boost quality and reduce costs through innovation. At the same time the government has to ensure that wealth is not a determination of health care access and that health care is universally available regardless of one's income and wealth. Universal access, does not necessitate a monopoly, nor does it necessitate a highly centralized solution. It is very possible to achieve universal access regardless of income in a program that is both decentralized and gives people multiple coverage options.

The present health care bill accomplishes all those major points. It consolidates and reduces the role of the federal government in health, returning much to the regions in terms of regulatory authority, moving away from the top down regulatory approach of real life, including both the ACA and prior regulatory frameworks. At the same time it increases resources available to the people who need it, to ensure that income and wealth is not a barrier to access. This also will enable the regions more flexibility to determine the nature of their healthcare system, without costs presenting a prohibitive factor as has been so many times before.

Another Main Street Priority, is the promotion of small business and entrepreneurship. This requires several changes. It requires a responsible set of bank regulations that protect hard working entrepreneurs in Georgia or Idaho, from the poor business decisions made in New York City. We have passed a 21st century Glass Steagall act, and we should move to pass a set of banking laws that put the ultimate responsibility for poor decision making on those who make those bad choices. Capitalism is suppose to hold those responsible by having them lose their money, but too often the system is rigged by those in power to prevent consequences for for those who deserve it, while everyone else feels the pain. It is our job as policy makers to center those consequences and prevent collateral damage.

Another important means to assist small business is to reform and simplify the tax code so that those without advanced legal teams and an army of lawyers can compete just as well in the economy as the big conglomerates.

This also applies to regulations and we have taken steps, like with the Preserve our Future Act, to ensure that the red tape is minimized and that the agencies don't try to extend beyond the scope of the legislation.

While there are more Main Street priorities that I plan to discuss, I will leave it at healthcare and small business for now and save the rest of subsequent speeches. I thank you for your time and ask for your vote this weekend.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies