Demographics of white Democrats in Mississippi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:55:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Demographics of white Democrats in Mississippi
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Demographics of white Democrats in Mississippi  (Read 6497 times)
Jesus save us
NJR
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:39:11 AM »
« edited: June 07, 2017, 08:40:48 AM by Jesus save us »

As I'm sure we're all aware, Mississippi whites vote overwhelmingly for the Republicans(+90% of whites in 2016). But what are the demographics of the handful of whites who vote Democratic? Are a significant number holdouts from the Solid South of yore who haven't gotten the memo? Are they demographically similar to white Democrats elsewhere(disproportianately young, college educated, urban, poor, and female)? Are they disproportionately in mixed-race marriages/partnerships?
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 10:32:38 AM »

Assuming that they are similar to white Democrats in Louisiana, they are younger, tend to more urban and are often college students. While there are exceptions to the rule, they are few in number.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »

As I'm sure we're all aware, Mississippi whites vote overwhelmingly for the Republicans(+90% of whites in 2016). But what are the demographics of the handful of whites who vote Democratic? Are a significant number holdouts from the Solid South of yore who haven't gotten the memo? Are they demographically similar to white Democrats elsewhere(disproportianately young, college educated, urban, poor, and female)? Are they disproportionately in mixed-race marriages/partnerships?

Up until about 10 years ago there were, but those people have mostly either died off or switched over to voting Republican. White Democrats in MS are mostly actual liberals nowadays, and are disproportionately young and from out of state.

IIRC (and this is half-remembered, possibly outdated information) Mississippi has one of the lowest rates of interracial marriage in the country, though the few who are are probably more likely to vote Democratic.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:53 AM »

Up until about 10 years ago there were, but those people have mostly either died off or switched over to voting Republican. White Democrats in MS are mostly actual liberals nowadays, and are disproportionately young and from out of state.

IIRC (and this is half-remembered, possibly outdated information) Mississippi has one of the lowest rates of interracial marriage in the country, though the few who are are probably more likely to vote Democratic.
Probably true. In 2000, MS had the lowest proportion of people identifying as mixed-race (0.6%) of any state.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 12:42:10 PM »

"I'm disproportionately a trial lawyer."

jk
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »

Maybe college students in such places as Oxford and Starkville, though most of them are probably Republican too.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:30:54 AM »

In all likelihood,

-Non-corporate lawyers in Jackson
-University professors/employees in Oxford, Hattiesburg, etc
-Doctors (especially younger ones or "provisionally white" ones, i.e. Jews, South Asians)
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:55:46 AM »

In all likelihood,

-Non-corporate lawyers in Jackson
-University professors/employees in Oxford, Hattiesburg, etc
-Doctors (especially younger ones or "provisionally white" ones, i.e. Jews, South Asians)

Is this also the case in WISsissippi?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2017, 12:33:28 PM by Tintrlvr »

"I'm disproportionately a trial lawyer."

jk

Close to literally all of the white Democrats in Mississippi over the age of 30 are probably either professors or plaintiff's lawyers.

Edit: Or teachers.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 04:30:49 PM »

Educated professionals in the Jackson area or college towns
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2017, 06:40:54 PM by Zyzz »

I would imagine the state Jewish percentage to be low, but since white Democrats are so pitifully low a percentage as well, maybe Jews could be a decent junk?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 06:52:50 PM »

Couldn't find anything on 2016, but in 2014, college grads were significantly more Republican than those without one, and the income trend was much steeper ... so I'm curious why you think educated professionals in MS are more attracted to the state Democratic Party than to the state GOP, when stats seem to suggest otherwise.  There isn't much reason, as far as I can tell, to believe an educated and professional White voter in MS is more likely to be a Democrat than a White without a degree or has a lower paying job.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 08:06:31 PM »

The thing is that we aren't looking for any one group that is majority Democratic, but, rather, groups that are 15-20% Democratic instead of 5-10%, and I would certainly look to urban whites and even some lower class rural whites.  When whites vote 90%+ Republican, the few stragglers are probably from a bunch of different groups.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »

Couldn't find anything on 2016, but in 2014, college grads were significantly more Republican than those without one, and the income trend was much steeper ... so I'm curious why you think educated professionals in MS are more attracted to the state Democratic Party than to the state GOP, when stats seem to suggest otherwise.  There isn't much reason, as far as I can tell, to believe an educated and professional White voter in MS is more likely to be a Democrat than a White without a degree or has a lower paying job.

No, I know that white college grads are more likely to be Republican than Democratic, I'm just saying that the white (especially liberal white) Democratic voting bloc here is disproportionately composed of young urban (by Mississippi standards)/college town professionals.

I would imagine the state Jewish percentage to be low, but since white Democrats are so pitifully low a percentage as well, maybe Jews could be a decent junk?
According to this website, there are only around 1,500 Jews in Mississippi.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 09:02:07 PM »

https://fusiontables.google.com/DataSource?docid=1UVNwaKv9xnAwuLv6Z7tFWxV5pu19qB6CIVGtIUsH#map:id=3

According to that link, white Democrats are numerous in Noxubee & Lafayette counties. They also make up a good portion in Jefferson and Claibourne counties (majority black, Delta counties).

Tom made a good point. Madison County is a highly educated county which contains some of Jackson's suburbs and has a sizable median income (higher than the national average). Clinton is estimated to have only garnered 12.5% of the white vote here (and whites swung towards her too). Desoto County is also in a similar situation. It has the second highest median income behind Madison and only 13.9% were estimated to vote for Hillary.

Clinton apparently didn't do much better in Hinds where most of Jackson lies (it's estimated she only got 17.6%).
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 12:28:50 AM »

There are few reasons besides ideology for white to run as a "Black (Democratic) party candidate", when he/she can make much better political career as Republican. Even for moderate conservative, even more so - for "pure conservative". And vast majority of whites in Mississippi belongs to one of these two categories.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »

What were the percentages of the white vote that Trump and Hillary got statewide?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2017, 03:08:42 PM »

What were the percentages of the white vote that Trump and Hillary got statewide?
Roughly 10% for Clinton, 88% Trump, I believe.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »

^ And that eesentially means - few liberal white professors and students here and there, may be - few trial lawyers, and that essentially all. I am aware of  exactly 1 (one) really liberal white Democratic legislator in Mississippi.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »

Lawyers, professors, some contractors, people that still live there but don't want to.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 01:10:34 PM »

Four places I can think of:
*Some suburban whites in DeSoto and Rankin counties
*White liberals within the city of Jackson
*College professors/students in Lafayette County at Ole Miss
*Maybe some along the gulf coast who work in the tourism industry
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »

Old whites with bad vision.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 02:16:02 PM »

White liberals, like white Democrats in every other state in the country.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2017, 10:31:03 PM »

Obligatory reminder that in 2012, Romney only won the under-65 crowd in MS by 5 points:

Relatively young (i.e. non-ancient) whites in Mississippi are probably no less Democratic than whites in, say, Georgia. They're not that much of an anomaly. You're still looking at a majority-white electorate (anywhere from 50/50 to 55/45) even in the 18-29 grouping, meaning that anywhere from 20-25% of those whites are voting Democratic.

It's pretty obvious when looking at both the exit polls and general demography of the state by age that older blacks do not really vote at all in Mississippi (the legacy of the times in which they were raised). This is the predominant problem with flipping MS, but once they - and their white cohorts that are voting 95% R - pass on, the state becomes much more competitive.

There's also potentially the issue of past exit polls in states like MS, AL & LA underestimating white Democratic support for some reason: it's something I encountered when doing my 2012 county breakdowns and when just delving into 08/12 exit polling data for these states, and have written about on here in the past.

There were instances where the exit polls did not match the confirmed demographic turnout whatsoever; instances where I maxed out black turnout beyond what was reported and gave 100% of the black vote to Obama and yet there was still a discrepancy that could only be explained by an underestimation of white Democratic support in these areas. I don't necessarily buy the 10% for MS & LA, nor the 15% figure for AL.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2017, 03:32:33 AM »

^ I guess vote by age statistics includes both whites and blacks?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies