UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:55:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 73
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 145331 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: June 10, 2017, 02:25:08 PM »

Champion indeed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1551 on: June 10, 2017, 02:25:32 PM »

Is anyone up to drawing a net swing map by constituency? I'd be very interested in unpacking the patterns there.

Swing not particularly meaningful this election given the UKIP collapse and the mobilisation of the student vote.

I know that that's likely what we would see in a swing map, but why isn't it interesting to see?
I posted a link to one, in case you missed it.

I'd seen that NYT abomination before, yeah. That sure as hell doesn't qualify as a map.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1552 on: June 10, 2017, 02:53:10 PM »

I made my own swing map yesterday so there are probably a few small errors hidden around. Unfortunately because I am new (long time lurker) someone else should probably get it from the current location on alternate history forums's OTL maps and resources thread.

I added three way swings when I realized that Scotland wasn't making sense with the top two system. The also make an appearance in 3 way seats in the south.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1553 on: June 10, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »

If they had approved ranked choice voting, and you combined the votes of Labour and SNP, would Labour and SNP have a majority?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1554 on: June 10, 2017, 04:04:07 PM »

Which constituency has the lowest winning vote share? Ceredigion was won with 29.2%; are there constituencies which were won with less than that?
rob in cal
« Reply #1555 on: June 10, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »

What if the Boundary Review commission had finished its work for this election, with a 600 seat House of Commons.  Would Tories have done a little better?
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1556 on: June 10, 2017, 04:17:21 PM »

Which constituency has the lowest winning vote share? Ceredigion was won with 29.2%; are there constituencies which were won with less than that?

Is that in Wales?
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #1557 on: June 10, 2017, 04:23:37 PM »

Is that in Wales?

Yes, Plaid Cymru gain from Lib Dems.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1558 on: June 10, 2017, 06:03:09 PM »

Survation apparently has a poll out, where Labour leads 45-39.

Should kill any early election speculation and possibly finish off May.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1559 on: June 10, 2017, 06:19:11 PM »

To add to that, I've just been doing the rounds at various drinking holes and talking to a number of people (a majority of whom probably voted Tory on Thursday) and have come to the conclusion that the Tories will suffer a 1931-in-reverse result if May leads them into the next election.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1560 on: June 10, 2017, 06:20:50 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDdBY5sKAU

⚑

General question : the Beeb reported past G/E results by regions - did these regions consist of the same constituencies that make up the EU regions?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1561 on: June 10, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »

⚑

General question : the Beeb reported past G/E results by regions - did these regions consist of the same constituencies that make up the EU regions?

Yes (with the exception of Gibraltar, which is in SW region for European election and is not represented in Westminster).
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1562 on: June 10, 2017, 06:40:33 PM »

⚑

Yes (with the exception of Gibraltar, which is in SW region for European election and is not represented in Westminster).

Awesome - that makes things easier.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1563 on: June 10, 2017, 06:51:19 PM »

Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1564 on: June 10, 2017, 06:54:48 PM »

News reports there is no deal with DUP yet, apparently Downing Street sent the wrong press release.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1565 on: June 10, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »

General question : the Beeb reported past G/E results by regions

Link please? I haven't been able to find it.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1566 on: June 10, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »

General question : the Beeb reported past G/E results by regions

Link please? I haven't been able to find it.

2010 (click on a region)
2005 (click the drop-down on the right)
2001 (click the dropdown in the middle)
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1567 on: June 10, 2017, 08:41:44 PM »

It seems the 2001 and prior results don't follow the EU regions - the 2001 results just have 'North' with Cumbria's results in with the North East. 2005 onwards follow EU regions and have that in with the North West.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1568 on: June 10, 2017, 08:48:09 PM »

No 2015?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1569 on: June 10, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »

Not from the Beeb, no. Like this year's, they've changed (for the worse) how they present the results. But you can find them from a parliamentary document (pdf at the bottom).
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1570 on: June 10, 2017, 10:17:49 PM »

Liverpool wasnt a coal mining area though (a bit around St Helens, but not to anything like the extent of S Yorks other parts of Lancashire). It wasnt even a major manufacturing centre like Manchester. It was chiefly a port city, with a huge Irish immigrant population, so maybe that legacy has meant it stayed more outward looking?

I struggle to believe that Hillsborough would have had such a huge impact on local politics.

And yet Liverpool votes well to the left of other working class areas (80% labour, as opposed to 60% labour in Newcastle, Sheffield, Leeds - lower than that in smaller towns like Dewsbury)

And Liverpool was much stronger remain territory than Leeds, or Sheffield, or Birmingham. Which are all wealthier cities. Even Knowsley voted to remain, Knowsley!

I meant to say it's left-wingerism is equivalent to coal mining areas (and even more these days).

Militant was stronger in Liverpool than other working class cities.

Football, plays a huge part into it, from Hillsborough to Robbie Fowler's support of the docker's strike, and the club being generally left-wing.

Liverpool is the most left-wing city bar Glasgow in the UK.

I must confess that Liverpool has always had a special place in my heart since I first visited the City as a young Yank college kid way back in 1994...

The first morning I was there, I skipped the breakfast at the B&B and joined a student march of some 2,000 led by a Trot student association for "free tuition for college students".

http://www.redpepper.org.uk/welcome-to-liverpool-a-heartland-of-the-rebel-cause/

The next day, I spend some time walking around Central Neighborhoods in the City, and hung out in some of the joints in the article above, as well as the African-Caribbean-English Community of Toxteth, home to the Anti-Thatcher riots of '81 (Shortly after the Brixton Riots), caused by systematic racism and distrust between the local community and law enforcement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Toxteth_riots

So. as I'm walking through Toxteth, I have the following dub-reggae song going through my mind from arguably the best currently living Reggae artist in the world Linton Kwesi Johnson (LKJ)... who speaks in a mixture of prose, poetry, with an awesome beat in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9079wwVF84Y

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linton_Kwesi_Johnson

This was the legacy of Thatcherism in the UK.... massive urban unrest, major strikes, and demonstrations, especially in poor and working-class communities throughout England.

Ok--- so the next day us college kids are meeting with one of the top cops in the City, and I ask "What has the Liverpool Police Department done to improve relations with the Afro-Caribbean community since the riots of '81?".

He actually gave a pretty solid answer, although Thatcher being out of power and the City had just recently had a Trot "Militant" Labour Party majority, likely gave a bit more leeway politically towards a policy where the Police Department had dramatically expanded hiring of "Black Cops", focusing on "Community Policing", and working closely with various neighborhood and community associations throughout Liverpool.

Now, this was only a year before the legendary Dockworkers Strike in Liverpool ('95-97), but this is a Proud City, with arguably one of the most militant Unions in Modern UK History (Other than perhaps the Coal Miners in the '80s), and the colour of their Labour Party is Dark Red and not Light Red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_dockers%27_strike

Billy Bragg---"Never Cross a Picket Line"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojPTz4VAOMA

So. let's fast forward to 2010....

Look at the Council elections within Liverpool... the Tories haven't been players in forever, but look at what happens to the Liberal Democrats (Hint: Obliterated)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_City_Council

So, pretty clear this is ancestral Labour country with a fighting tradition, and although as elsewhere in the UK we had to beat the Fascists of the National Front back during hard times, even in our soccer pitches, we never once folded to the lies and deceit of the Tories and the UKIP over many decades.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-labour-popular-in-liverpool-sun-could-learn-a7726081.html

So myself, do not find it remarkable that Liverpool not only totally embraced a true Labour candidate like Corbyn, but also is one of the most Left-Wing cities throughout the UK.

Now although I'm not quite ready to do a compare and contrast with Glasgow, my son-in-law grew up there after this parent's fled the Troubles in Ireland, where he met my sister..

So, here's a classic Celtic supporter song, since there were various discussions about the power of Football Clubs in Liverpool and political identity....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awositUJYLM

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1571 on: June 11, 2017, 03:01:16 AM »

It was Ceredigion, followed by Belfast South and Lanark & Hamilton East; the latter was an absurdly close three-way result, with Labour only 360 votes behind the SNP winner but coming third.

Speaking of which, it's noticeable that Labour came very close in a lot of Scottish seats; there were seven where they were less than 2 percentage points behind the SNP winner.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1572 on: June 11, 2017, 06:09:17 AM »

A swing of just 2% from Con to Labour would see the party make 40 gains at next general election. Current total 262. Need 320 for majority.

A swing of just 1% from Lab to Cons at next election would yield 19 gains. Enough for a clear working majority of 16.

This is based on 2017 right? Which website are you using? Please share !
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #1573 on: June 11, 2017, 06:11:12 AM »

A swing of just 2% from Con to Labour would see the party make 40 gains at next general election. Current total 262. Need 320 for majority.

A swing of just 1% from Lab to Cons at next election would yield 19 gains. Enough for a clear working majority of 16.

This is based on 2017 right? Which website are you using? Please share !
http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground
This is the website
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1574 on: June 11, 2017, 06:55:02 AM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 07:06:58 AM by Shadows »

If I take the newest Survation Poll (Lab - 44.8%, Tory 38.9%) & put the regional break-up of data (Scotland, Wales, etc) instead of whole UK, here are the results -

Scotland -

SNP - 29 (-6)
Lab - 14 (+7)
Tory - 11 (-2)
Lib-Dem - 5 (+1)

Wales  -

Lab - 22 (-6)
Tory - 14 (+6)
Plaid - 4 (0)

England -

Lab - 270 (+43)
Tory - 253 (-43)
Lib-Dem - 8(0)

Net Lab Gain of 44 seats despite a 8% swing taking Lab seats to 308 seats (still not enough for a majority). So, Lab can't form a government on their own even with a 5% lead.

Lab - 56 Seats (out of 72) in Scotland in 1997 !
Lab - 56 Seats (out of 72) in Scotland in 2001 !
Lab - 41 Seats (out of 59) in Scotland in 2005 !

Lab needs 64 more seats vs 2017 (not considering Sinn Fein) . They need to hold their result in Wales, get atleast 40 more seats in England & realistically, Lab needs to win more than half of Scotland's seats, atleast get 30, otherwise it is literally impossible to form a Lab government !

Corbyn should focus on building Lab in Scotland !
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies