UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:42:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 144855 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:04 PM »

Least deprived Labour constituencies in England, including all in the bottom four deciles:
1. Sheffield Hallam
2. Stroud
3. Warwick & Leamington
4. Sefton Central
5. Cambridge
6. Reading East
7. Harrow West
8. Wirral South
9. Leeds North West
10. Warrington South
11. Canterbury
12. Wirral West
13. Penistone & Stocksbridge
14. High Peak
15. Gedling
16. Enfield Southgate
17. York Central
18. Tynemouth
19. City of Durham

Interesting that those are virtually all University, Northern or diverse parts of London consituencies.

Of the two that aren't, Stroud has always had a bit of a hippy/arty reputation, but what explains Gedling?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1676 on: June 14, 2017, 11:10:17 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2017, 11:19:24 PM by Shameless Bernie Hack »

lol Rees-Mogg. He isn't even the most powerful or interesting Traditionalist Catholic from Somerset on the British right.

Pshh, you're just jealous of his haute couture and his rapier sharp, Eton-Oxford wit.

(in all seriousness I just saw him on the BBC election night feed and was captivated by the fact that this very strange man on my computer screen appeared to have stepped out of a portal from 1895. He seems like the personification of the Upper Class Tory Twit IMHO.)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1677 on: June 14, 2017, 11:22:45 PM »

lol Rees-Mogg. He isn't even the most powerful or interesting Traditionalist Catholic from Somerset on the British right.

Pshh, you're just jealous of his haute couture

I mean I am, but that doesn't make him not a joke. Wink
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1678 on: June 14, 2017, 11:26:20 PM »

Least deprived Labour constituencies in England, including all in the bottom four deciles:
1. Sheffield Hallam
2. Stroud
3. Warwick & Leamington
4. Sefton Central
5. Cambridge
6. Reading East
7. Harrow West
8. Wirral South
9. Leeds North West
10. Warrington South
11. Canterbury
12. Wirral West
13. Penistone & Stocksbridge
14. High Peak
15. Gedling
16. Enfield Southgate
17. York Central
18. Tynemouth
19. City of Durham

Interesting that those are virtually all University, Northern or diverse parts of London consituencies.

Of the two that aren't, Stroud has always had a bit of a hippy/arty reputation, but what explains Gedling?

No clue, it's a wierd seat going by its results.
Labour majorities since 1997:
1997: 3802
2001: 5598
2005: 3811
2010: 1859
2015: 2986
2017: 4694

Seems extremely inelastic.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1679 on: June 14, 2017, 11:51:27 PM »

Pshh, you're just jealous of his haute couture

I mean I am, but that doesn't make him not a joke. Wink

He's definitely a joke, but I do think that a government where he's PM and BoJo is either home or foreign secretary is a perfect encapsulation of what the Tories still are deep down inside.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1680 on: June 15, 2017, 08:48:27 AM »

You're probably describing the run-away two most popular Tory MPs in the country, there.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1681 on: June 15, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

Gedling is a big slab of humdrum Nottingham suburbia; used to be mixed working class and middle class, now it's more working class with some middle class pockets (richer people, as is the pattern across England, have been moving further out into the countryside). Amusingly enough it used to be an area in which Labour grossly underperformed in and now the opposite is true. But the key thing is a popular and extremely effective incumbent - Vernon Coaker - and a very strong local government base.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1682 on: June 15, 2017, 06:28:37 PM »

Eastern:

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1683 on: June 15, 2017, 06:31:13 PM »

Pls rehost
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1684 on: June 15, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »

The images aren't showing? Finally thought I'd found a way to embed them.

You may as well just go the album: https://imgur.com/a/JRrs0
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1685 on: June 15, 2017, 06:55:40 PM »

Imgur doesn't work on this site cause Leip can't be arsed to send an email.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1686 on: June 15, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »

Imgur doesn't work on this site cause Leip can't be arsed to send an email.

I've been having issues with Twitter pictures not showing up. I can at least see the links to the imgur pictures. For pictures from Twitter, I have to quote the post and then get the URL from there.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1687 on: June 15, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »

For Tony:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_breakdown_of_the_United_Kingdom_general_election,_2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2017_(England)

Vote totals for each English region are there, as well as swings. They don't have detailed English region results in 2015, I'm afraid.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #1688 on: June 15, 2017, 11:47:09 PM »

You're probably describing the run-away two most popular Tory MPs in the country, there.

Is this serious?
adma
« Reply #1689 on: June 16, 2017, 07:24:43 AM »

It may be morbid to suggest this, but I can picture someone offering the politically charged observation that those who elected Labour in Kensington all died in the Grenfell fire...
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1690 on: June 16, 2017, 08:13:58 AM »

Theresa May is now almost as unpopular as pre-campaign Jeremy Corbyn, finds YouGov poll

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-jeremy-corbyn-less-popular-election-2017-campaign-leader-conservative-labour-poll-yougov-a7792006.html

Gary J
United Kingdom
« Reply #1691 on: June 16, 2017, 08:30:51 AM »

Is this serious?

Probably. In an age of cautious identikit politicians, both Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg are individuals who could not be mistaken for anyone else. They may be ridiculous, but they are far better known than about 640 of their colleagues in the House of Commons.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1692 on: June 16, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »

The North East
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #1693 on: June 16, 2017, 10:39:53 AM »

Is this serious?

Probably. In an age of cautious identikit politicians, both Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg are individuals who could not be mistaken for anyone else. They may be ridiculous, but they are far better known than about 640 of their colleagues in the House of Commons.

Also, Rees-Mogg's voice is one of the most soothing I've heard from a politician. At first I thought he was some character out of a Mitchell & Webb sketch but that man's voice is something else. That's an underrated advantage over his rivals
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1694 on: June 16, 2017, 11:49:17 AM »

You third-wayites are amazing. Corbyn just achieved the highest gains for Labour since Clement F**king Attlee and turned around a 17-point deficit (which, let's face it, was at least partly caused by the infighting that YOU triggered because you couldn't accept him as a legitimate leader) into a near-tie, electing more MPs in the process than the party has had since the Blair years, and somehow you still manage to find things to complain about him and insist that he's unelectable even as Labour has taken a lead in the polls.

Look, I get that you don't like Corbyn very much and strongly disagree with his views, and I respect that. I myself am not a fan of his foreign policies (though his domestic policies are excellent). But stop pretending that your issue with him has anything to do with his objective quality as a leader, because that's blatant bullsh*t.
FrancoAgo
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -6.66, S: -3.33

« Reply #1695 on: June 16, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »

Is Corbyn the most leftist of Labour leader since WW2? or more?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1696 on: June 16, 2017, 12:11:06 PM »

Yes, probably. However him personally is not the same as his platform, which is only really to the left of the New Labour manifestos (it is certainly nowhere near as left as 1983, which is what Corbyn would prefer to enact).
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1697 on: June 16, 2017, 12:14:50 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2017, 12:35:59 PM by Shadows »

You third-wayites are amazing. Corbyn just achieved the highest gains for Labour since Clement F**king Attlee and turned around a 17-point deficit (which, let's face it, was at least partly caused by the infighting that YOU triggered because you couldn't accept him as a legitimate leader) into a near-tie, electing more MPs in the process than the party has had since the Blair years, and somehow you still manage to find things to complain about him and insist that he's unelectable even as Labour has taken a lead in the polls.

Look, I get that you don't like Corbyn very much and strongly disagree with his views, and I respect that. I myself am not a fan of his foreign policies (though his domestic policies are excellent). But stop pretending that your issue with him has anything to do with his objective quality as a leader, because that's blatant bullsh*t.

Atlee was fairly uncharismatic & a moderate speaker. At a time when Corbyn's own party leaders didn't believe in him or his policy & the entire media & corporate & political establishment was against him, I don't know how valid are the expectations.

I also don't think a 3rd way person will support such an extreme right wing Tory government. Brexit is a contentious issue & was splitting the Lab party with a big chunk of both Leave & Remain voters potentially leaving - It was a losing stand. The amazing performance of Lab in getting Ex-Lab voters who had gone over to UKIP & anti-establishment Brexit voters as well as the huge remain section in urban areas & among the young voters, has vindicated Corbyn's strategy !
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #1698 on: June 16, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »

They are available on Principal Fish
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1699 on: June 16, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »

Yes, probably. However him personally is not the same as his platform, which is only really to the left of the New Labour manifestos (it is certainly nowhere near as left as 1983, which is what Corbyn would prefer to enact).

Michael Foot will probably be more left wing than Corbyn. Many of the pre-Margaret Thatcher leaders were broadly similar to Corbyn. Corbyn's manifesto apart from nationalization is a pretty tame left wing version & doesn't really represent his left wing economic policies adequately !
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies