UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:58:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK General Election, 2017 - Election Day and Results Thread  (Read 146528 times)
Angrie

« on: June 08, 2017, 07:28:41 PM »

Have there been any con gains so far at all (have I missed any, since I hadn't seen any, or are there just none?)

It looks like maybe the Con vote is getting very inefficiently distributed, with most of their gains coming in safe labour areas in the north?
Angrie

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »

Have there been any con gains so far at all (have I missed any, since I hadn't seen any, or are there just none?)

It looks like maybe the Con vote is getting very inefficiently distributed, with most of their gains coming in safe labour areas in the north?

Pretty much that. May thought the election was won, got arrogant and went for places she didn't really need instead of protecting the areas she truly needed. This, plus a very poor campaign overall, explain this appalling result. Hillary 2.0.

I bet she resigns tomorrow and since an autumn election is likely, there will be pressure for a quick solution for the leadership of the Conservative party. Boris is probably a very happy man right now.

It also seems (from what I can make of the results, anyway) like Conservatives are also making gains in Scotland, but similarly this is not likely to translate into seats. Meanwhile, Labour is making some gains (apparently) in Wales, which seems more likely to translate into seats. So apparently the overall popular vote will probably not be changed very much, but it could end up with significant seat changes to labour, simply because of the distribution of the vote. To me, this is an indictment of the FPTP system, similarly to the way in which the USA's electoral college and single member congressional districts/states (for Senate) is unrepresentative.
Angrie

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:47:06 PM »

This posted earlier is good.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/06/08/world/europe/british-general-election-results-analysis.html
Angrie

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:01:42 PM »

Probably a stupid question, but why exactly is there such a large swing to CON in Scotland? Labour is underperforming in many SNP-held seats, it seems.

I am certainly no expert on this, so someone who actually knows something about Scottish politics can correct me if I am wrong... But I think maybe a lot of the usual CON voters in Scotland (what few there are) went SNP last time in 2015, and now have switched back.
Angrie

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:12:50 PM »

Lib Dems have yet to win a single constituency...

I remember from watching previous UK elections, it usually takes them a while to win anything even if they are doing relatively well. They do badly in the early reporting seats, for some unknown reason.
Angrie

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:50:54 PM »

Angrie

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »

Elmo may only have gotten 3 votes, but each vote for Elmo counts for 10,000 regular votes. Therefore Elmo actually kept it pretty close against May. A fantastic race by Elmo!
Angrie

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 09:30:54 PM »

Northern Ireland is going to dick this whole thing up for Labour with the Sinn Fein members not showing up and the DUP/UUP potentially working with the Tories.

No, it is really going to be Scotland's fault.
Angrie

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 12:21:37 AM »

So if you get 292,316 votes, then you are the DUP and you get 10 seats and huge influence over the government, potentially tipping it (or not) into a majority coalition.

But whatever you do, you had better be sure not to increase your votes up to 515,902. If you do that, then you are the Green Party and only get 1 seat.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies