Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:50:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11
Author Topic: Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread  (Read 11259 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: June 08, 2017, 02:42:24 PM »

Oh and Trump's lawyers and aides will be believable if we get them under oath to swear Comey is unequivocally wrong. They should offer to swear out that statement in testimony to Congress. Until then they're full of it because at this point only one side has sworn under oath.
Showboat swore an oath did he. I guess that makes him super duper trustworthy.

Compared to the other side that didn't swear on oath in their statements? Yep.

People lie under oath all the time. I don't necessarily disbelieve Comey, but I am convinced at this point of something I have suspected since last October; namely, that he is a compulsive attention seeker. That tendency casts doubt on much of what he says.

Except that Comey doesn't have a history of lying when giving sworn testimony and at this juncture only one side is backing their statements with sworn testimony. Comey also documented everything and the other side, safe to say, did not.

I would take Comey's side over Trump's at this point given who is under oath and provided memos and documentation. Trump, of course, has a long history of lying and obfuscating and a longer history of misleading. And he's making statements without being under oath which is telling. If he's under oath I would consider his statements a little more carefully.

What youre doing is basically trying to cast both as equal liars through weasel words. This is not in fact the case.  

I have not tried to compare Comey's propensity to lie to Trump's. I am pointing out that speaking under oath does not make one's account more truthful and also providing my own interpretation that Comey is an attention whore.

What you are doing here, unlike in your previous post, is providing more substantive reasons to lend credibility to Comey's account. As I said, I do not disbelieve him, though what I saw struck me as being rather melodramatic.
elcorazon

« Reply #226 on: June 08, 2017, 02:49:39 PM »

The dow has risen 80 points over the course of the testimony.

That's telling.

That people thought it made it more likely that Trump would go and that the do-nothing GOP might pass something?

Or maybe that people thought this would ensure that the GOP would not be able to put anything damaging to the economy into law?

Or most likely, 80 points on the Dow these days is statistical noise. Even if it were significant, there's plenty of reasons one could plausibly give for the effect.
pretty sure it's noise. Been up and down since - Dow up 8 right now, Nasdaq up 21 S & P Unchanged
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: June 08, 2017, 02:54:17 PM »

That's telling.

That people thought it made it more likely that Trump would go and that the do-nothing GOP might pass something?
Or maybe that people thought this would ensure that the GOP would not be able to put anything damaging to the economy into law?
Or most likely, 80 points on the Dow these days is statistical noise. Even if it were significant, there's plenty of reasons one could plausibly give for the effect.

pretty sure it's noise. Been up and down since - Dow up 8 right now, Nasdaq up 21 S & P Unchanged

Agree.
We need to remember that there are many, many factors that steer the daily direction of the stock market.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: June 08, 2017, 02:57:53 PM »

The Republicans have turned their spin cyle to max after Comey's testimony:
https://jonathanturley.org/2017/06/08/did-comey-violate-laws-in-leaking-memo/
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/06/08/dershowitz-comey-confirms-that-im-right-and-all-democratic-commentators-are-wrong.html

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/336952-white-house-trump-is-not-a-liar

I find the White House's "Trump is not a liar" to be the funniest and least sophisticated of the bunch.
http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2017, 02:59:01 PM »

From CNN:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #230 on: June 08, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »

That's telling.

Agree.
We need to remember that there are many, many factors that steer the daily direction of the stock market.

One of the President's babysitters might want to remind him of that before he tweets again to take credit for it.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #231 on: June 08, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »

LOL.
This administration is insane if they believe that after Comey's testimony today, that the "public cloud is removed."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #232 on: June 08, 2017, 03:10:23 PM »

Comey is still toxic.  There's no middle ground.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #233 on: June 08, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »

LOL.
This administration is insane if they believe that after Comey's testimony today, that the "public cloud is removed."
The cloud was whether or not he was under investigation. That is removed. The white noise from Democrats will remain, and it will kill his Presidency. At least today we learned today once and for all that Hillary should've never come close to the Presidency.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #234 on: June 08, 2017, 03:31:20 PM »

Trump can say Comey was lying all he wants.  But the fact is, it means absolutely nothing until he himself goes under oath to denounce it all.  At that time, we'll have to decide who is telling the truth and who isn't.  But at the moment, Comey's testimony is credible and the only such we have on record, leaving the president looking even more like a liar than he did before and without a leg to stand on.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #235 on: June 08, 2017, 03:33:05 PM »

Trump can say Comey was lying all he wants.  But the fact is, it means absolutely nothing until he himself goes under oath to denounce it all.  At that time, we'll have to decide who is telling the truth and who isn't.  But at the moment, Comey's testimony is credible and the only such we have on record, leaving the president looking even more like a liar than he did before and without a leg to stand on.
So does that belief extend to the portions involving Loretta Lynch attempting to shut down the Clinton investigation? I'm curious.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #236 on: June 08, 2017, 03:33:54 PM »

LOL.
The cloud was whether or not he was under investigation. That is removed. The white noise from Democrats will remain, and it will kill his Presidency. At least today we learned today once and for all that Hillary should've never come close to the Presidency.

If Trump wasn't under investigation before, he certainly is now.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #237 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »

Oh and Trump's lawyers and aides will be believable if we get them under oath to swear Comey is unequivocally wrong. They should offer to swear out that statement in testimony to Congress. Until then they're full of it because at this point only one side has sworn under oath.

People lie under oath all the time. I don't necessarily disbelieve Comey, but I am convinced at this point of something I have suspected since last October; namely, that he is a compulsive attention seeker. That tendency casts doubt on much of what he says.

Except that Comey doesn't have a history of lying when giving sworn testimony and at this juncture only one side is backing their statements with sworn testimony. Comey also documented everything and the other side, safe to say, did not.

I would take Comey's side over Trump's at this point given who is under oath and provided memos and documentation. Trump, of course, has a long history of lying and obfuscating and a longer history of misleading. And he's making statements without being under oath which is telling. If he's under oath I would consider his statements a little more carefully.

What youre doing is basically trying to cast both as equal liars through weasel words. This is not in fact the case.  

I have not tried to compare Comey's propensity to lie to Trump's. I am pointing out that speaking under oath does not make one's account more truthful and also providing my own interpretation that Comey is an attention whore.

What you are doing here, unlike in your previous post, is providing more substantive reasons to lend credibility to Comey's account. As I said, I do not disbelieve him, though what I saw struck me as being rather melodramatic.

He can be a bit of a showboat absolutely. The downside for the Trump people, he's a showboat with substance. It's pretty rare, but it happens.

(For the record, the White House complaining about the divulging of "privileged communications" is ... awkward, because it presents that Comey has some of the facts right minimum. If not all of them).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2017, 03:38:25 PM »

LOL.

If Trump wasn't under investigation before, he certainly is now.
I bet he isn't. The FBI clearly doesn't investigate this stuff, and after the Lynch revelations today, to move forward against Trump when they failed to do so against Lynch would discredit the entire probe.

That won't stop the Special Prosecutor (a long time ally of the clearly political Comey) from going after him, but the public mood will likely flatline.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #239 on: June 08, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »

The movement is bigger than Trump. We'll just come back with someone else in 2020 if Pence goes globalist. EnglishPete is missing that point.

(((globalist)))
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #240 on: June 08, 2017, 03:41:01 PM »

The movement is bigger than Trump. We'll just come back with someone else in 2020 if Pence goes globalist. EnglishPete is missing that point.

(((globalist)))
You can smear us all you want, but what fueled Trump isn't going to go away and the more you piss on them, the angrier they'll get.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #241 on: June 08, 2017, 03:41:38 PM »

Wow I didn't really know what everyone was talking about in regards to Lynch (I missed the hearing). That is pretty bad for her too.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #242 on: June 08, 2017, 03:45:02 PM »

Can someone summarize this for me? I've been running around all day and wasn't able to follow this as it went down.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #243 on: June 08, 2017, 03:46:36 PM »

So does that belief extend to the portions involving Loretta Lynch attempting to shut down the Clinton investigation? I'm curious.

I missed the parts about Lynch, but if she tried to do virtually the same thing Trump tried doing, then of course the same applies.  This isn't rocket science, and it isn't politics--obstruction is a very serious crime and it shouldn't be tolerated (even if the person doing the obstructing was too dumb to know what they were doing).

But anyway, Comey's word under oath stands until the president either challenges the testimony under oath himself, or offers some shred of proof that Comey was lying under oath--and then this becomes a different discussion.  But until that happens, Trump remaining president is dangerous.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #244 on: June 08, 2017, 03:47:57 PM »

Can someone summarize this for me? I've been running around all day and wasn't able to follow this as it went down.
The Democrats think it's YUUUUGE!
The Republicans are all "but but Hillary!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #245 on: June 08, 2017, 03:55:39 PM »

... but when the President says it, that means it is not a lie.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #246 on: June 08, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »

He can be a bit of a showboat absolutely. The downside for the Trump people, he's a showboat with substance. It's pretty rare, but it happens.

(For the record, the White House complaining about the divulging of "privileged communications" is ... awkward, because it presents that Comey has some of the facts right minimum. If not all of them).

It really does lack the punch of a flat refusal. A competent liar denies all charges that cannot be independently verified, and there is good reason for that. At the same time, what isn't awkward about the current situation?
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »

So Sessions May of had a thrid meeting with Russians he didn't disclose https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/872939394260508673
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #248 on: June 08, 2017, 05:58:02 PM »

(((globalist)))
You can smear us all you want, but what fueled Trump isn't going to go away and the more you piss on them, the angrier they'll get.

The forest fire has burned itself out.  What was tinder that remains is now charred wood that has little potential for further burning. The remaining moonscape of American politics will be open for new plants to germinate.  

Many politicians are going down for this -- those who rode the Republican waves of 2010 and  2014.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #249 on: June 08, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »

(((globalist)))

The forest fire has burned itself out.  What was tinder that remains is now charred wood that has little potential for further burning. The remaining moonscape of American politics will be open for new plants to germinate.  

Many politicians are going down for this -- those who rode the Republican waves of 2010 and  2014.

We'll see. Swing voters will probably make the decision. Base voters alone can't carry the day--for both parties.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies