Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:01:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]
Author Topic: Comey Senate Intelligence Committee Testimony Thread  (Read 11116 times)
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 08, 2017, 11:57:21 PM »

I forgot to update earlier, but I did make it into an overflow room on the third floor. As soon as I left, I went into the elevator, which stopped on the second floor. Then, in walks none other than John McCain. I got a picture with him, then I left and got some pizza.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #251 on: June 09, 2017, 12:15:37 AM »

This is devastating testimony. Whatever positive image the President may have had among those who like his agenda, he has left too many questions of his fitness as President.  

Yeah, their best defense is quickly becoming "Well...Trump was too stupid to realize what he was doing!"

Which is just pathetic.

What kind of "experience" or "intelligence" does one need to to not make a barely-veiled threat to a subordinate to drop a criminal investigation of a close ally out of "loyalty" rather than truth, and thereafter fire the subordinate when he doesn't comply? This is basic right and wrong that most 10th graders with a conscience would know is an abuse of power.

How does this differ from Trump's modus operandi since birth of covering the asses of he and his own, and demanding absolute "loyalty" (i.e. blind obedience, right or wrong) to him by everyone around him?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #252 on: June 09, 2017, 01:09:30 AM »

I forgot to update earlier, but I did make it into an overflow room on the third floor. As soon as I left, I went into the elevator, which stopped on the second floor. Then, in walks none other than John McCain. I got a picture with him, then I left and got some pizza.

How did McCain seem to you? I, along with a lot of other people, was concerned about his health following his performance.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #253 on: June 09, 2017, 07:15:22 AM »

How did McCain seem to you? I, along with a lot of other people, was concerned about his health following his performance.

Eh he seemed fine, just like a normal old guy. He was chatting with one of his aides when he walked in, and acted pretty casual.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #254 on: June 09, 2017, 08:32:39 AM »

BREAKING: Donald Trump feels totally vindicated by former FBI Director's testimony in which he called Trump a liar at least half a dozen times.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #255 on: June 09, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »

Someone needs to tell Trump an his idiots that his conversations with Comey aren't classified thus he didn't do anything wrong when he/his friend released them to the press
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: June 09, 2017, 09:32:29 AM »

This is devastating testimony. Whatever positive image the President may have had among those who like his agenda, he has left too many questions of his fitness as President.  

Yeah, their best defense is quickly becoming "Well...Trump was too stupid to realize what he was doing!"

Which is just pathetic.

What kind of "experience" or "intelligence" does one need to to not make a barely-veiled threat to a subordinate to drop a criminal investigation of a close ally out of "loyalty" rather than truth, and thereafter fire the subordinate when he doesn't comply? This is basic right and wrong that most 10th graders with a conscience would know is an abuse of power.

One of the best-known (if flawed) guides to personal behavior, the Ten Commandments, is written at a level that a child can understand, except perhaps on 'adultery', and for that one one would have to have reached puberty to find the violation a temptation. What could be unduly complex about "Thou shalt not steal"?

I am reminded of the level of intellectual achievement of the typical mobster -- and it is not very high. One needs little formal education to succeed in the Mob world, one in which life is all stealing, scheming, and protecting the organization -- and living as if in the Leisure Class, except without the cultural constraints that come with a solid education. Most of us have seen Goodfellas, right?   Great movie despite the loathsome characters. The mobsters get the best mass entertainment -- being entertained by the likes of Henny Youngmann and Bobby Vinton. Art or opera, both of which are endemic to the more educated and sophisticated Italian-Americans? That's for Moonstruck, a much more flattering view of Italian-Americans, which
has no Mob types. (Were I an Italian-American, that would be the image of my group  that I would seek to promote. to persons not Italian-American).

Goodfellas depicts mostly Sicilian and to a lesser extent Jewish and Irish mobsters, people from cultures  that have some clear virtues. Henry Hill (Sicilian mother) gets fascinated by "the Life", but family members are troubled by the poor report cards coming from school by mail. His mob buddies get to the letter carrier and convince him very forcefully to make sure that his parents never get the young Henry Hill's  parents.

Yes, Henry Hill is a sociopath (and he's gone to that great haven for them in the Underworld -- the one with demons, overpowering stench, and other affronts to normal sensibilities)... but so are all mobsters. They play on the basest drives in human nature, and when that does not work, they turn to fear. But stealing, dealing drugs, operating gambling scams, loan-sharking, and ripping off contractors or unions is far easier than starting an honest business or doing honest-to-Horatio Alger work.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Born to privilege, Donald Trump manages things much like a Mob boss. One can't blame his ethnicity. There has been only one big German crime syndicate, the Nazi Party; so far as I know, the Scots have been clean of organized crime syndicates. Maybe he has schmoozed with mobsters to a great extent and learned a few tricks of the trade. "Mob boss" is one of the simplest ways of managing possible. It's "Theory X" at its purest -- appeal to human greed but control people with abject fear.  

This method of exercising power is perfectly good -- until one runs into people like the military, the FBI, the CIA, and federal prosecutors (or any other people with civil courage) who can resist that method by at the least refusing to participate in it.

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #257 on: June 09, 2017, 10:58:08 AM »

Former GOP Congressman:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #258 on: June 09, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »

Former GOP Congressman:

What Ryan said really seemed more like a Mitch McConnell-thing - Mitch is supposed to be the one who shamelessly acts like the past never happened.

As for the statement, not sure if it was already posted here:

Which is such a lie that it is almost comical. As Inglis said, the modern Republican Party actually did impeach a Democrat for less.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #259 on: June 09, 2017, 02:40:22 PM »

To Senator PiT, per our conversation yesterday, Trump has offered to testify under oath. Now, if he does, openly we would be forced to consider his testimony on equal basis with James Comey. But that's if he actually does. (I'm not sure yet if he's grandstanding or was verbally tweeting).
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #260 on: June 09, 2017, 03:02:47 PM »

So it's probably very unlikely there are no tapes like Trump said, to confirm his and Comey's conversations.

If Trump lies under oath, how can anybody prove him wrong?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #261 on: June 09, 2017, 05:20:59 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 06:15:40 PM by Virginia »

www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-ratings-idUSKBN1902X6

edit (7:13pm):

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2017/06/09/james-comey-testimony-tv-ratings-239368

So including online views (even if only partial), 18 + 2.7 + 26 = 46.7 million

That is a lot of eyes! I wonder what his Gallup approval ratings will be through the weekend.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #262 on: June 09, 2017, 05:22:40 PM »

www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-ratings-idUSKBN1902X6

That is a lot of eyes! I wonder what his Gallup approval ratings will be through the weekend.

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #263 on: June 09, 2017, 05:31:08 PM »

.... I wonder what his Gallup approval ratings will be through the weekend.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies