President Pence approval ratings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:04:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  President Pence approval ratings
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Pence approval ratings  (Read 1274 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2017, 12:37:17 PM »

Say Trump resigns or is impeached and removed from office.

Pence becomes president and pardons Trump.

What do you think his approval starts at?  Will he get a honeymoon period?  Will he be forgiven for pardoning Trump?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 12:39:01 PM »

Ford's approvals plummeted after he pardoned Nixon, I'd imagine something close to the same here. Also Pence might have been involved, so he could get removed too (if it came down to that).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »

Yeah. Agnew was toast. This is an apples to oranges situation. If anything, Ryan becomes President.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:46:07 PM »

Damn, I thought it actually happened before opening.

Screw you.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 12:49:19 PM »

He starts very low. Unlike Ford, who was brought in as VP to replace Agnew partially because he was a popular outsider to the Nixon administration without ties to its scandals, Pence is clearly deeply tied to the Trump administration and its scandals. On the other hand, he probably gets a smaller hit from pardoning Trump than Ford did simply because Ford was more popular (and had more outsider credibility) than Pence to destroy with a pardon.

On the other hand, depending on when President Pence happens in this hypothetical, he could have plenty of time before an actual election to put together a more competent administration and see his poll numbers recover.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »

Yeah. Agnew was toast. This is an apples to oranges situation. If anything, Ryan becomes President.
More reason not to impeach Trump.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »

I'd rather have Ryan than either one of them.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 01:14:55 PM »

Why do you hate other humans?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 01:18:00 PM »

Tbh this all would have been worth it if Paul Ryan ends up president and somehow keeps his majorities in 2018. Whoever ends up as president definitely shouldn't pardon Trump and possibly Pence.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 01:18:51 PM »

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 01:49:01 PM »

Even though I think Ryan would do a much better job of pushing the GOP agenda I dislike, for the good of the country, I'd have to agree.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »

This might not be a joke for long. I would not be surprised if someone in a military uniform with three or four stars attached tells the president some very bad news for his precious self-esteem.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 02:30:13 PM »

Tbh this all would have been worth it if Paul Ryan ends up president and somehow keeps his majorities in 2018. Whoever ends up as president definitely shouldn't pardon Trump and possibly Pence.

This. If Pence is guilty, move down to Ryan. If I can get Ryan, I will be more than fine. Romney-Ryan 2012 should've won over Obama-Biden.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 02:40:25 PM »

This. If Pence is guilty, move down to Ryan. If I can get Ryan, I will be more than fine. Romney-Ryan 2012 should've won over Obama-Biden.

The amazing thing is that Mitt Romney did so well against an incumbent President who has some charisma, had no scandals, showed effectiveness in foreign policy, and was an effective campaigner.  Ryan was a mistake as a VP nominee.

In the event that President Trump should resign, I can easily imagine Mitt Romney as VP. I find it hard to believe that after his speech excoriating Donald Trump that Trump could win the nomination. I don't know why he did not run in 2016 -- his wife's health?

To have some credibility as President he will need some Democratic votes for him in Congress. Democrats will not get a chance to nominate one of their own, but they can certainly ensure some quality control in the process of nominating a VP.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »

There has literally been no solid connections to Pence besides Louise Mensch's drivel.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2017, 03:40:30 PM »

Why do you hate other humans?

Ryan would be a sane and somewhat levelheaded leader.  Pence would be mostly levelheaded but would try to rollback nearly everything that has moved us forward as a nation.

I am not a Paul Ryan fan.  He's weak and ineffective as speaker and he has refused to stand up in any real way to this administration.  But I also don't think he'd personally rather doom the country simply to satisfy his ego, as Trump certainly would; nor do I think he'd make attempts to reverse things like marriage equality in an attempt to "make us great again" (i.e., before gays were free to be out and when women stayed home to work in the kitchen) like Pence probably would.  And if he won reelection in 2020, I'd be okay with that too for the reasons stated above. I wouldn't vote for him, but I wouldn't be scared every day that our days as a great nation are numbered were he to remain in charge--as I fear now with Trump and would still with Pence.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »

This would be a tougher race, but I have no doubt that a smart energetic woman like Kamela Harris can still beat the GOP.

The 2016 map was in the Democratic favor, but the Dems had GOP incumbants like Portman and Grassley that had 55% approval ratings running in the swing states.

In CO, Iowa, MI, VA, NH, ME and NC key swing states, the GOP in those states are suffering with below average approvals and Dems have high approval ratings.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »

Why is it that time an time again Pence has been proven to of lied about Flynn on Face the Nation yet it doesn't seem to get covered? Flynn "lying" to Pence was the whole basis of why he was let go
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 12:00:28 AM »

The amazing thing is that Mitt Romney did so well against an incumbent President who has some charisma, had no scandals, showed effectiveness in foreign policy, and was an effective campaigner.  Ryan was a mistake as a VP nominee.

In the event that President Trump should resign, I can easily imagine Mitt Romney as VP. I find it hard to believe that after his speech excoriating Donald Trump that Trump could win the nomination. I don't know why he did not run in 2016 -- his wife's health?

To have some credibility as President he will need some Democratic votes for him in Congress. Democrats will not get a chance to nominate one of their own, but they can certainly ensure some quality control in the process of nominating a VP.

Did so well? Obama is an amazing campaigner and he was always favored, but a decent Republican candidate (not that there were any running in 2012, maybe Huntsman but he would have angered the base) should've made it a lot closer given the economic circumstances. 51%-47% isn't a close presidential race imo. Romney would be an amazing president but he's an horrible candidate and his campaign was a trainwreck. Remember all the gaffes.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2017, 02:33:14 AM »

Did so well? Obama is an amazing campaigner and he was always favored, but a decent Republican candidate (not that there were any running in 2012, maybe Huntsman but he would have angered the base) should've made it a lot closer given the economic circumstances. 51%-47% isn't a close presidential race imo. Romney would be an amazing president but he's an horrible candidate and his campaign was a trainwreck. Remember all the gaffes.

If Trump gets ousted, we should not move down to Ryan, though I still prefer him to Pence. But I I see virtualy no chance that Pence would be removed from office as well. If so, I hope he appoints either Romney, Kasich or Haley as his VP.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2017, 10:30:15 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2017, 05:13:48 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

I don't get why people think Pence would come into office with high approvals or get a free pass from the media for more than a few weeks:

1) Even if Pence isn't involved in the Russia scandal or obstruction of justice, he'll still be tainted by association
2) Pence being president won't make the Freedom Caucus get along with the Tuesday Group or make Paul Ryan an effective leader, so good luck getting anything substantial through congress
3) The left will be emboldened, as will the anti-Trump elements of the right
4) a large portion of the base will be angry about Trump getting kicked out and see it as a stab in the back
5) Pence isn't a particularly good fit for Trump's coalition and his ideology is basically a caricature of a Bush-era Religious Right Republican. He's a man of the past and wouldn't easily be able to get things done or lead the party forward in the current environment
6) Nothing indicates that Pence is a particularly good politician: he only won election in 2012 by three points IN INIDIANA and might well have lost in 2016 due to the anti-gay law fiasco (see my point above about him being a man of the past)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2017, 07:14:54 PM »

The Obama strategy is to make the opponent make desperate gambles in an effort to win.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2017, 11:59:49 PM »

President Trump resignation wont happen before Nancy Pelosi becomes Speaker.  And the Damage will already be done, by Trump if that happens.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies