Death Penalty (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Death Penalty  (Read 28666 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 30, 2003, 01:11:24 PM »

I am opposed to capital punishment in all cases.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 01:33:03 PM »

See jravnsbo!  I'm not the only one.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 11:00:33 AM »

Yes but still in the minority of Americans.  37 states have it and the fed and military systems have it.

I'm in the minority in almost everything.  So it doesn't bother me.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 02:47:32 PM »

good then you won't feel bad after election day 2004. Smiley

Yes but still in the minority of Americans.  37 states have it and the fed and military systems have it.

I'm in the minority in almost everything.  So it doesn't bother me.

Did you feel bad after election 2000?  47.87%
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 04:28:28 PM »

no, because we won in the electoral college and that is all that matters and then had both houses of Congress for the first time in 50 years, it was great!  and since then the GOP majorities in the states and federal levels have only expanded.
Your candidate had the second most votes of anyone running for president in 2000.

GORE FOR PRESIDENT 2008
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 05:24:20 PM »

Gore in '08 would have a better chance.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 06:48:27 PM »

New York has the death penalty but has never executed anyone.  I believe Texas has executed over 300 people since they reinstated the death penalty.  Many states have the death penalty but never put it into effect.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 09:02:16 PM »

Connecticut also has the death penalty but has not used it since 1960.  I think New York last used it around that time.

I support the death penalty because I believe in the saying that "mercy for the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."  There are some people who deserve no better than death.

But I think it has to be used very carefully.

I would probably be happy with if killers were given a true life sentence with no possibility of parole.  But we can't trust liberal states like New York to keep these people behind bars.

It makes my blood boil that NY state released Kathy Boudin, who participated in the 1981 Brinks robbery in which several policemen were killed.  She did only 22 years for those murders, while the families of those killed are effectively serving a life sentence.  She should never have been released.
Neither way is perfect.  But execting the innocent is the worst thing you can possibly do.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »

I am personally opposed to the death penalty, but many who live around me are not.

Well, here's the kicker:
To house a criminal for 30 years, it costs about $800,000.
To execute a criminal, including all appeals, etc., it costs about $2,000,000.

We can debate the morality of the death penalty all day, but the numbers do not lie.
The death penalty costs much more money, and when every state is in money trouble, it is too expensive.
good point.  Most people think that housing a criminal is more expensive, but that is not the case.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 03:11:16 PM »

but what is a human life worth to you?

I keep pointing to the TX case where the thugs got life and then escaped and went ont he killing spree.  Plus how about the killer in Massachusets that killed the priest that was a child molester.  He killed and nothing will happen to him further, maybe it wasn't mass, was a non death penalty state.

Not for child molesters at all, but example iof a killer with life able to kill and no punishment, what is his deterent?

I am personally opposed to the death penalty, but many who live around me are not.

Well, here's the kicker:

We can debate the morality of the death penalty all day, but the numbers do not lie.
The death penalty costs much more money, and when every state is in money trouble, it is too expensive.
How is the life sentence not punishment?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 03:16:49 PM »

It is a punsihment but I was giving 2 quick examples of how life sentence does not stopa  killer from killing again unlike the death sentence, which stops killers from killing again.  

but what is a human life worth to you?

I keep pointing to the TX case where the thugs got life and then escaped and went ont he killing spree.  Plus how about the killer in Massachusets that killed the priest that was a child molester.  He killed and nothing will happen to him further, maybe it wasn't mass, was a non death penalty state.

Not for child molesters at all, but example iof a killer with life able to kill and no punishment, what is his deterent?

Well, here's the kicker:

How is the life sentence not punishment?
And I'm sure there are 2 cases where an innocent person was given the death penalty.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2004, 03:28:51 PM »

http://www.justicedenied.org/executed.htm
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2004, 10:57:44 PM »

Well, here's the kicker:

Why does it cost so much though? There doesn't seem reason enough to justify such costs. Some countries execute their convicted killers right away after being taken out of the courtroom. Let's do that? What? The price of a few High Powered Rifles and bullets. Done.
You want to shoot the convicted criminals?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2004, 12:53:13 PM »

Ah, but Christopher, bullets were deemed too expensive as a way of execution in Germany 60 years ago, and thus they used gas chambers instead. Gas chambers are clearly the most efficient and least expensive way to kill people. So really, we ought to use those instead, right?
Why not the Chinese way? You charge the executed person's family for the cost of the bullet.
Yeah, that makes  alot of sense.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2004, 05:56:48 PM »

All I'm gonna say is that I support the death penalty.
Who would have guessed!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2004, 07:31:00 PM »

You're never 100% certain, but I do take Dean's point.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2004, 11:07:44 AM »

Yeah, yeah, Dan.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2004, 12:41:47 PM »

I oppose the death penalty because I believe that government should not have the right to execute its citizens under any circumstances. I feel that the government should set a moral example and not stoop to the levels of the criminals. I do not believe in an eye for an eye, I feel that we as a society should be better than the criminal. The death penalty breeds a culture in which killing is considered acceptable for moral reasons. The murderers probably have their own twisted warped moral reasons for why what they are doing is correct, and thus any acknowledgement that murder is acceptable for any moral reasons at all helps to breed these attitudes.
I feel that life in prison is, in some ways, a greater punishment than death. It gives the person the rest of their life to live with what they have done, and to not have any freedom to be a part of society.
Good post.  And, yes, life imprisionment is a greater punishment than death.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2004, 09:35:20 AM »

Half the time I can't understand what he says...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2004, 09:35:40 AM »

Migrendel, that is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies