SB 2017-100: Federal Drug Policy Reform Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:52:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-100: Federal Drug Policy Reform Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 2017-100: Federal Drug Policy Reform Act (Passed)  (Read 2177 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »

Are there any senators who have reservations about this bill, particularly the rescheduling of peyote, ecstacy, or LSD?
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2017, 07:54:13 AM »

As someone who has family members where drugs like these have destroyed their lives. I am totally against this bill. I understand where the thinking is coming from, but these drugs destroy lives and people and we should do what we can to keep them off the streets.

First, I truly sympathize with what you and your family have had to deal with, vern.  With all due respect, however, drugs are already on the streets, and the evidence is pretty overwhelming that the current "War on Drugs" policy simply hasn't worked.  This bill isn't being used as a catalyst to legalize hard drugs like crack cocaine or methamphatamine, which would remain illegal (and decriminalized under prior legislation).

If you have a specific objection to the drugs we are rescheduling, please make your case and we'll be happy to consider.

I agree that the "War on Drugs" isn't working. But, I don't believe making these drugs legal is the answer. These drugs are dangerous and lead to death and addiction. I think that if a drug can't be used for a medical reason then it shouldn't be legal for the public. I think you are just opening up a door for more people to get hurt from drugs. People while on these drugs aren't in their right state of mind and can't make a good judgement call. They hallucinate, which can lead them to harm themselves or others. I know we aren't able to fully stop people from getting ahold of these drugs, but just because we can't fully stop it doesn't mean we should just stop trying and let the drugs run free on the streets.

Once again, the drugs this bill proposes to reschedule are not dangerous, even the hallucinogenics.  It will remain illegal to drive or work under the influence of any of these substances.  However, by taking a softer approach to these drugs, we weaken the cartels which are far more of a danger to Atlasians than soft hallucinogenics - which do not lead to physical addiction and are not dangerous when used responsibly.  Alcohol causes 88,000 deaths each year and is one of the most dangerous substances when taken in excess, yet it is perfectly legal for adults.  A couple of teenagers taking mushrooms doesn't pose a danger to anyone.

None of this is to say that there are no dangerous hallucinogenic drugs.  PCP in particular is something I would never even consider legalizing.  This bill does not change our policy on hard drugs.

You're comparing alcohol to these drugs, but you can't do that because one is legal and the other is illegal. I can guarantee you if you legalize these drugs in the same numbers of deaths will be for the others. The reason why alcohol is so dangerous is because it alters your state of mind. The same goes for these  drugs. It is also to be noted that I am not for alcohol either. I believe anything that can alter the state of mine should not be legal for the public because it is dangerous. But, I am not an elected official so my voice does not matter.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:07 PM »

Are there any senators who have reservations about this bill, particularly the rescheduling of peyote, ecstacy, or LSD?

I am fine with rescheduling these drugs to draw down the War on Drugs. If nobody else has any comments, I will bring this bill to a final vote in 24 hours.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »

A final vote is now open on this bill. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 02:22:40 PM »

Aye.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »

Aye
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2017, 02:36:42 PM »

Ayyyyyyyyyyye lmao
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »

Aye
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2017, 02:52:07 AM »

But, I am not an elected official so my voice does not matter.

I will vote Nay for you.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2017, 12:29:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Atlasian Senate
Passed 5-1 in the Atlasian Senate assembled
Be it resolved, X Senator PiT, PPT
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies