Activists protest against Islamic Sharia law in US-wide rallies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:35:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Activists protest against Islamic Sharia law in US-wide rallies
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Activists protest against Islamic Sharia law in US-wide rallies  (Read 2239 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2017, 12:52:20 AM »

Speaking out about what they believe are the ills of Islam, anti-Sharia law activists demonstrated nationwide Saturday, but were met by counter-protesters who assailed their rhetoric as insensitive and demeaning.

Members of Act for America, which has been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, gathered in parks and plazas across the country, organizing nearly two dozen so-called March Against Sharia rallies, stoking concerns and counter-events by Muslim leaders who say the group is spewing hate.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-anti-muslim-rallies-20170610-story.html
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 01:38:04 AM »

Yet they would be the first to support removing voting rights from women, criminalize homosexuality, ect. They only oppose bigotry when it's advocated by people of other ethnicities.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:01:18 AM »

And of course ..... they all voted for trump.
All white nationalist HATE groups just love trump.
He is their god.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:02:44 AM »

What a pointless thing to protest. Might as well protest about how you don't want the US to become a Soviet style communist state.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 02:13:24 AM »

They're protesting "sharia" because they're actually protesting Muslims but they can't say that.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 02:37:07 AM »

"We protest women who wear headscarves by wearing hats, sunglasses, and bandanas. That'll show 'em."
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:11:25 AM »

Ayyy lmao.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:37:26 AM »

Speaking out about what they believe are the ills of Islam, anti-Sharia law activists demonstrated nationwide Saturday, but were met by counter-protesters who assailed their rhetoric as insensitive and demeaning.

Members of Act for America, which has been labeled a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center, gathered in parks and plazas across the country, organizing nearly two dozen so-called March Against Sharia rallies, stoking concerns and counter-events by Muslim leaders who say the group is spewing hate.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-anti-muslim-rallies-20170610-story.html

What a bunch of losers...
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 04:02:19 AM »

What a pointless thing to protest. Might as well protest about how you don't want the US to become a Soviet style communist state.

What do you mean?  My demonstrations against Salic Law are perfectly normal!!
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 04:16:28 AM »

Anyone flying that stupid alt-right, Pinochet glorifying flag is not an activist for any American value. They're enemies of democracy.*

*They have the 1st amendment right do to it and protest, of course. But it's important to note that they're glorifying throwing dissidents out of helicopters. 
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 04:19:10 AM »

Can someone tell me what cities, counties or states are in danger of falling under Sharia Law in the US?
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 04:38:20 AM »

Can someone tell me what cities, counties or states are in danger of falling under Sharia Law in the US?

None. Not even Hamtramck, MI which has a majority Muslim city council. Not a single one.

Because, see, we have strict separation of church and state.

It's just a dogwhistle.

(I'm sure you know this, but this stuff makes me furious)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 04:44:02 AM »

What it boils down to (on top of outright bigotry) is deflection: the Christian right wants to impose religion as the law of the land, so of course they accuse Muslims of wanting to do this instead to distract people.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »

Well, Arizona, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming all seem to be in imminent danger of coming under relious law, but somehow I don't think that's what these fine specimens of Trumpism are protesting.

Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 06:59:53 AM »

What it boils down to (on top of outright bigotry) is deflection: the Christian right wants to impose religion as the law of the land, so of course they accuse Muslims of wanting to do this instead to distract people.

Be fair. The vocal religious right aren't actually Christian, they just  claim to be when they're on TV (or the internet). Just like with 'radical Islamic terrorism' (where most of the terrorists aren't actually practicing Muslims, or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing). I think that's an important distinction to make.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »

Be fair. The vocal religious right aren't actually Christian, they just  claim to be when they're on TV (or the internet). Just like with 'radical Islamic terrorism' (where most of the terrorists aren't actually practicing Muslims, or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing). I think that's an important distinction to make.
Their idea of "Christian" is to be white. They protest shariah, to protest Islam. They protest Islam to protest brown people.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 10:22:23 AM »

It's possible to rile people up about anything. It's the Orwellian Two Minute Hate. Now that Communism is no longer a threat, people of the type worried about the fluoridation of water as a Commie plot now have the Islamic plot.

Even if it is impossible to convince Muslims to abandon Islam (as if such were even desirable) we are wiser to convince Muslims who do not already accept liberal democracy that rule of law, human rights, and competitive politics are good things.   
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »

Don't you just love it when the die-hard blue avatars ignore threads like this.
They want to pretend that "their kind" really isn't affiliated with scum as depicted here.

White Nationalist Bigotry = trump
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »

They're protesting "sharia" because they're actually protesting Muslims but they can't say that.

Their idea of "Christian" is to be white. They protest shariah, to protest Islam. They protest Islam to protest brown people.

Exactly.
The people depicted in the images are so ignorant and really do believe that they can "fool" everyone to follow their cause by making it a supposed "anti-Sharia" protest.
Hilarious stuff.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 11:35:02 AM »

I oppose the idea of American law being replaced by shariah law or any other kind of religious law for that matter. However, these guys are just bigots.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »

This anti-Islamic bigotry sounded no better in the original Russian of the Protocols of the Elders of Zion or in the original German as used by Adolf Hitler, Josef Goebbels, and Alfred Rosenberg. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 11:41:53 AM »

I oppose the idea of American law being replaced by shariah law or any other kind of religious law for that matter. However, these guys are just bigots.

Question.

Christianity is far more prevalent in American religion than Islam, right?

Okay.

So how come if something Christian, (bakers and gay weddings) comes up, you liberals get your panties in a bunch and get mad at the religious institution...but when it comes to something even less common, (islam) you defend it tooth and nail?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »

Question.

Okay.

So how come if something Christian, (bakers and gay weddings) comes up, you liberals get your panties in a bunch and get mad at the religious institution...but when it comes to something even less common, (islam) you defend it tooth and nail?

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I'm only liberal on some issues, but the difference is that Christianity has had a nasty history with the world. Plus, Muslims in America are a disadvantaged minority whereas Christians are a majority.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »

tendie's choice of words here is, of course, revealing
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »

Question.

Okay.

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I'm only liberal on some issues, but the difference is that Christianity has had a nasty history with the world. Plus, Muslims in America are a disadvantaged minority whereas Christians are a majority.

Well of course, but we're not talking about the crusades anymore, we're talking about the violence in the world today, so much of which is perpetrated by muslim extremists.

See, I've figured out the problem with the Democratic Party today. People say it's "identity politics" and they're right. However, liberals make an effort to sympathize with anyone who is "oppressed". Okay, fair enough. However, they refuse to sympathize with any majority that feels oppressed. Why? Perhaps they think the reason some feel oppressed is because others are no longer oppressed? But even still don't you then contradict yourselves?

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies