Activists protest against Islamic Sharia law in US-wide rallies
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:56:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Activists protest against Islamic Sharia law in US-wide rallies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Activists protest against Islamic Sharia law in US-wide rallies  (Read 2259 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »

I oppose the idea of American law being replaced by shariah law or any other kind of religious law for that matter. However, these guys are just bigots.

Question.

Christianity is far more prevalent in American religion than Islam, right?

Okay.

So how come if something Christian, (bakers and gay weddings) comes up, you liberals get your panties in a bunch and get mad at the religious institution...but when it comes to something even less common, (islam) you defend it tooth and nail?

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I'm only liberal on some issues, but the difference is that Christianity has had a nasty history with the world. Plus, Muslims in America are a disadvantaged minority whereas Christians are a majority.

Well of course, but we're not talking about the crusades anymore, we're talking about the violence in the world today, so much of which is perpetrated by muslim extremists.

You ignorant, biased, ...Trumper.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

What it boils down to (on top of outright bigotry) is deflection: the Christian right wants to impose religion as the law of the land, so of course they accuse Muslims of wanting to do this instead to distract people.

Be fair. The vocal religious right aren't actually Christian, they just  claim to be when they're on TV (or the internet). Just like with 'radical Islamic terrorism' (where most of the terrorists aren't actually practicing Muslims, or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing). I think that's an important distinction to make.
Their idea of "Christian" is to be white. They protest shariah, to protest Islam. They protest Islam to protest brown people.

because conflict based on religion isn't a thing
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2017, 12:46:03 PM »

What it boils down to (on top of outright bigotry) is deflection: the Christian right wants to impose religion as the law of the land, so of course they accuse Muslims of wanting to do this instead to distract people.

Be fair. The vocal religious right aren't actually Christian, they just  claim to be when they're on TV (or the internet). Just like with 'radical Islamic terrorism' (where most of the terrorists aren't actually practicing Muslims, or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing). I think that's an important distinction to make.
Their idea of "Christian" is to be white. They protest shariah, to protest Islam. They protest Islam to protest brown people.

Largely not. Religion is almost always a proxy for other considerations.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2017, 01:12:36 PM »

I oppose the idea of American law being replaced by shariah law or any other kind of religious law for that matter. However, these guys are just bigots.

Question.

Okay.

So how come if something Christian, (bakers and gay weddings) comes up, you liberals get your panties in a bunch and get mad at the religious institution...but when it comes to something even less common, (islam) you defend it tooth and nail?

I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I'm only liberal on some issues, but the difference is that Christianity has had a nasty history with the world. Plus, Muslims in America are a disadvantaged minority whereas Christians are a majority.

Well of course, but we're not talking about the crusades anymore, we're talking about the violence in the world today, so much of which is perpetrated by muslim extremists.

See, I've figured out the problem with the Democratic Party today. People say it's "identity politics" and they're right. However, liberals make an effort to sympathize with anyone who is "oppressed". Okay, fair enough. However, they refuse to sympathize with any majority that feels oppressed. Why? Perhaps they think the reason some feel oppressed is because others are no longer oppressed? But even still don't you then contradict yourselves?

Let's not forget that poor white people are oppressed, too.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »

"We must take to the streets to protest the anarcho-primitivist threat!"
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »

Can someone tell me what cities, counties or states are in danger of falling under Sharia Law in the US?

The Saracen hordes have taken Edessa and Antioch and are marching towards Constantinople. This is an imminent threat!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »

Can someone tell me what cities, counties or states are in danger of falling under Sharia Law in the US?

Well, Arizona, Arkansas, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, and Wyoming all seem to be in imminent danger of coming under religious law, but somehow I don't think that's what these fine specimens of Trumpism are protesting.

Side note, Utah does have heavy, heavy influence from Mormon doctrine, but not on all issues, on a fairly limited amount of issues like alcohol, marijuana, gambling, and so forth.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »

This may come as a shock, but religion is really important to some people.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2017, 06:03:33 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 06:07:34 PM by The Self »

Be fair. The vocal religious right aren't actually Christian, they just  claim to be when they're on TV (or the internet). Just like with 'radical Islamic terrorism' (where most of the terrorists aren't actually practicing Muslims, or they wouldn't be doing what they're doing). I think that's an important distinction to make.

This may come as a shock, but religion is really important to some people.

Especially those who use it as a veil to hide their own interests behind (even from themselves).

As for myself, I don't see that either Christian or Islamic fundamentalists are much worth keeping around.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

Funny how the Left now defends religious fundamentalism when it's not Christians.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2017, 06:51:57 PM »

Funny how the Left now defends religious fundamentalism when it's not Christians.

I'm fine with fundamentalists of any stripe as long as they don't try to impose their views on the state like the Christian Right in this country.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2017, 07:02:19 PM »

I'm fine with fundamentalists of any stripe as long as they don't try to impose their views on the state like the Christian Right in this country.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2017, 07:05:03 PM »

Fundamentalist Muslims would never try to impose their views on anyone else, you're right.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »

Question.

Okay.

Lies. A Muslim American can be a wealthy businessman or model faster than a black or a Hispanic American. Look at the Hadids.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/family/hadids-became-first-family-fashion/
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2017, 08:19:20 PM »

Question.

Okay.

See, I've figured out the problem with the Democratic Party today. People say it's "identity politics" and they're right. However, liberals make an effort to sympathize with anyone who is "oppressed". Okay, fair enough. However, they refuse to sympathize with any majority that feels oppressed. Why? Perhaps they think the reason some feel oppressed is because others are no longer oppressed? But even still don't you then contradict yourselves?

Nassau, you ignoramous. You realize that your post is in every single syllable the definition of identity politics? If you are siding with a bunch of c*********** waving flags glorifying throwing dissidents out of a flying helicopter. What the f*** do you not understand about your tire craze being identity politics, except you recognize only white people identity. You are the most politically correct poster on this website. You just Spanish distinguish that there is such a thing as conservative political correctness.

Grow the f*** up.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2017, 08:21:45 PM »

This is absolutely f*** all to do with protesting so-called religious fundamentalism. This is a protest by religious Fundamentalist. This is a protest against Muslims. Calling it approaches eye cancer Allah is a politically correct way of saying a protest against Islam, fundamentalist or otherwise. Is it really that difficult to understand?
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:52 PM »

Question.

Okay.

While we're airing grievances, I do find it funny how many folks on the right really couldn't care less about how LGBT Americans are treated but suddenly become super passionate about gay rights whenever they're trying to advance an argument about the evils of Islam.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2017, 08:49:42 PM »

I'm worried about my own safety under sharia law in the United States.  It's something that will affect millions of Americans and it really shows your privilege to dismiss me.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »

I'm worried about my own safety under sharia law in the United States.  It's something that will affect millions of Americans and it really shows your privilege to dismiss me.

i am worried about my safety under Moon Law
please don't laugh at me
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »

please don't laugh at me

Evergreen just put it better then I ever could. Anyone who worries about Sharia law in this country is a genuine, unadulterated, undebatable moron. Not a difference of opinion. And uneducated ill-informed moron and or bigoted alarmist.

Where is worrying about right fascism and islamophobia is a very justifiable thing. Especially when it is presented in the guise of supposedly fighting Islamic fundamentalism
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2017, 09:04:07 PM »

please don't laugh at me

Evergreen just put it better then I ever could. Anyone who worries about Sharia law in this country is a genuine, unadulterated, undebatable moron. Not a difference of opinion. And uneducated ill-informed moron and or bigoted alarmist.

Where is worrying about right fascism and islamophobia is a very justifiable thing. Especially when it is presented in the guise of supposedly fighting Islamic fundamentalism

It's time for you to go to bed!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2017, 09:12:51 PM »

please don't laugh at me

It's time for you to go to bed!

It's time for you to get a clue
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 10:24:43 PM by Compassion Fills the Void »

Please point to examples of how instituting Sharia law anywhere in the US is even a remote possibility or how it'll affect millions.

And I've called Islam a garbage religion and said that all adherents of it should renounce it and accept Jesus Christ, so please explain how I'm "politically correct".
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2017, 09:13:55 AM »

You're wrong about that too.  The left fought for the rights of the oppressed black majority in South Africa, while people like Reagan supported the apartheid government.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2017, 09:48:19 AM »

While I'm generally strongly opposed to Sharia law, we should protest against things that are a bigger problem in this country. Let's start at the top with our great leader.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies