Bernie says the current Democratic strategy is an "absolute failure".
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bernie says the current Democratic strategy is an "absolute failure".
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Bernie says the current Democratic strategy is an "absolute failure".  (Read 1827 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:18:22 PM »

"“The current model and the current strategy of the Democratic party is an absolute failure,” Sanders said.

“The Democratic party needs fundamental change. What it needs is to open up its doors to working people, and young people, and older people who are prepared to fight for social and economic justice.

“The Democratic party must understand what side it is on. And that cannot be the side of Wall Street, or the fossil fuel industry, or the drug companies.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/bernie-sanders-lambasts-absolute-failure-of-democratic-partys-strategy?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:25:24 PM »

Oy.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 09:28:24 PM »

He's not exactly wrong.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 09:31:06 PM »

So instead of looking to compromise, let's move the party in the farthest leftward position we possibly can.  I mean, look at how President McGovern did!
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »

So instead of looking to compromise, let's move the party in the farthest leftward position we possibly can.  I mean, look at how President McGovern did!

Why don't I ever hear about the right wing "looking to compromise"?  Why should compromise always come from the left?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 09:37:14 PM »

Why don't I ever hear about the right wing "looking to compromise"?  Why should compromise always come from the left?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 09:37:38 PM »

It shouldn't. I didn't say that. I think Republicans should be more willing to compromise, too.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 09:41:06 PM »

So instead of looking to compromise, let's move the party in the farthest leftward position we possibly can.  I mean, look at how President McGovern did!

That was a fundamentally different time. Not all time periods have electorates primed with the same opinions about how things should be run. I can see why conservatives would mock the idea of moving left, but that is to be expected. To say anything else would essentially be admitting that America wants more liberal policy.

Millennials and most likely gen z will be perfectly fine with, and arguably want a leftwards shift away from the more moderate/conservative politics of boomers/silent generation voters.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 09:43:06 PM »

So instead of looking to compromise, let's move the party in the farthest leftward position we possibly can.  I mean, look at how President McGovern did!

That was a fundamentally different time. Not all time periods have electorates primed with the same opinions about how things should be run. I can see why conservatives would mock the idea of moving left, but that is to be expected. To say anything else would essentially be admitting that America wants more liberal policy.

Millennials and most likely gen z will be perfectly fine with, and arguably want a leftwards shift away from the more moderate/conservative politics of boomers/silent generation voters.
I know that different elections in different times don't translate, but the same message is that extreme partisanship one way or the other is bad. 

By the way, gen z, according to some studies, are more libertarian as a whole.  It will take some time to truly find out, but they are probably not as liberal as millennials.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »

Oh bs I get Bernie and jfern are mad over Quist but the dems have been letting grassroots spearhead the SE an are working with Bernie to change the primary rules. What else can they do different?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »

Worked fine for the GOP to go rightwards after Romney lost, or more importantly, when Gerald Ford lost.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 10:00:03 PM »

He lost a primary by double digits, so his way of doing things doesn't lead to winning.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2017, 10:37:31 PM »

By the way, gen z, according to some studies, are more libertarian as a whole.

Gen Z is gonna be so Republican that they'll turn off their GPS when it tells them to turn left.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 10:40:47 PM »

He lost a primary by double digits, so his way of doing things doesn't lead to winning.

Is that why Reaganism died out after 1976?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 10:47:56 PM »

That was before Trump won. Also he was slated to do as well as Bill Bradley and got one big name endorsement. The only other primaries where a secondary candidate did this well were: 1980 and...1976, aka the other election where Wisconsin flipped out of nowhere, a YUGE slate of establishment candidates took each other out, the rigid ideologue of the in-party made a showing, and the dark horse outsider beat the mocked incumbent. So yeah, 12-shmelve.

His kind of candidates made single-digit races out of previously double digit losses in turf where Trump's popular and the winners were of mediocre quality rather.

Whereas Ossoff is struggling to make it to the finish line even with all the money thrown his way and a terrible quality candidate.

Try again.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2017, 10:49:33 PM »

Is that why Reaganism died out after 1976?

Reaganites knew how to organize.

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2017, 10:56:36 PM »

That was before Trump won. Also he was slated to do as well as Bill Bradley and got one big name endorsement. The only other primaries where a secondary candidate did this well were: 1980 and...1976, aka the other election where Wisconsin flipped out of nowhere, a YUGE slate of establishment candidates took each other out, the rigid ideologue of the in-party made a showing, and the dark horse outsider beat the mocked incumbent. So yeah, 12-shmelve.

His kind of candidates made single-digit races out of previously double digit losses in turf where Trump's popular and the winners were of mediocre quality rather.

Whereas Ossoff is struggling to make it to the finish line even with all the money thrown his way and a terrible quality candidate.

Try again.

His preferred candidates all ran behind Clinton in 2016 election. And nice spin on Ossoff, who unlike Quist has a good shot of winning his race.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:53 PM »

He is right, but they will recover under the Bernie/progressive wing. The pressures are too great.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 11:04:09 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2017, 11:08:58 PM by hueylong »

Yeah, there are just about no indications of this whatsoever. His average lead in the polls has consistently risen since the first round was held, he's capturing not just most of the independent vote but also a good percentage of Republicans (with virtually no observable crossover, i.e. no Dems are going to Handel), and he's turning out thousands of people in that district who have never voted before. So I'm not quite sure what you're basing this off of. If you're referencing how close the race is, then well... duh. That's to be expected in Newt Gingrich's former district. It's historically Republican, and despite Hillary's improvement there it still leans R. That's why Ossoff hasn't gone all gung-ho progressive 'we need single payer and free college and we need it now!' That doesn't make him an unprincipled person or a coward. It makes him smart and pragmatic.

Definitely too much money in the election, though, you're right about that. On both sides. It's obscene.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 11:08:49 PM »

He is right, but they will recover under the Bernie/progressive wing. The pressures are too great.

I mean, the progressive wing of the party is kinda already winning the battle here, at least for the long term.  Wait until the 2020 primaries start.  We're not going to see any Mark Warners or Evan Bayhs thrown into consideration like in 2007.*  The closest prospective candidate in their mold is Booker, and he's well to the left of both those guys.**

*And no, the Jim Justice fanclub here doesn't count. Wink Tongue

**And Cuomo as well, but he's got far too much baggage and little appeal beyond rich suburbanites.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 11:13:43 PM »

Yeah the fact that the most "moderate challengers" in 2020 will be Booker and Cuomo (look at the policies he's implemented in New York recently) really goes to show how much the progressives are winning out in the Party.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »

Yeah the fact that the most "moderate challengers" in 2020 will be Booker and Cuomo (look at the policies he's implemented in New York recently) really goes to show how much the progressives are winning out in the Party.

The party has been steadily moving left since 2008. It is one reason why I get annoyed when some liberals bitch about the nonexistent DLC. I mean go and compare the Democratic platform in 2004 to what they had in 2012 and 2016, it is night and day.

Even Hillary is alot closer to Sanders then say her husband in 1996.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »

The party has been steadily moving left since 2008. It is one reason why I get annoyed when some liberals bitch about the nonexistent DLC. I mean go and compare the Democratic platform in 2004 to what they had in 2012 and 2016, it is night and day.

Hillary was a DLC member. I'm so sick of hearing how she was supposedly progressive.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »

Hillary was a DLC member. I'm so sick of hearing how she was supposedly progressive.

Actually go look at Hillary's senate record and 2008 and 2016 platforms. She has never been a technocrat. She is a bad politician, but a true liberal.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »

Hillary was more hawkish than Obama, but I do think that her overall senate record was more liberal than Obama's.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies