Can Muslims be white?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:33:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Can Muslims be white?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Can Muslims be white?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 144

Author Topic: Can Muslims be white?  (Read 5113 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2017, 01:57:16 PM »

There can be white anything.  Let's not forget history here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRMp4U1dCUM
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »

Arabs make up a minority of Muslims. And at least until the next census we are considered whites, after that we aren't and I know plenty of white Muslims.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2017, 05:21:32 PM »

Of course they can, just like they can be of any race. In fact, most American Muslims are African-American.

But when it comes to talking about discrimination, we usually use "Muslim" as a shorthand for "Middle Eastern," e.g. Arabs and Persians, since that's the mental image most Westerners have of Muslims. That's why non-Muslims who look "Middle Eastern," like Sikhs from India, are also targets for Islamophobia.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »

You guys are all making a moot point. Someone of English ancestry can convert to Islam.

Exactly.
I find it humorous that others are going on about Bosnia, Turkey, Indo-Europeans, little green people from Mars, etc, etc.
One's choice of faith has no boundaries (or borders).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2017, 06:34:39 PM »

Arabs are already considered "white" by the Census Bureau, so...
Semitic/Middle Eastern people are not white, so I have always found that strange.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 08:37:45 PM »

Semitic/Middle Eastern people are not white, so I have always found that strange.

They're not? It was my understanding it all generally flows from Phoenician/Mediterranean peoples in the Bronze Age ME
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
« Edited: June 12, 2017, 09:08:22 PM by The Gianforte Covfefe »

They're not? It was my understanding it all generally flows from Phoenician/Mediterranean peoples in the Bronze Age ME

Well, kinda...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y-chromosome_DNA_haplogroup

What's interesting is that Semites (J1), Persians/Caucasians(J2), and even paleo Balkan and German(I1/ I2a) people appear to be closer related to each other than other Europeans/Mediterranean (R1a,R1b, E3b1)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »

Well, kinda...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_Y-chromosome_DNA_haplogroup

What's interesting is that Semites, Persians, and even paleo Balkan and German people appear to be closer related to each other than other Europeans/Mediterraneans.

The Thracians/Scythians common in E. Europe back then probably explain that, along with various Hunnic peoples. It's my understanding the Goths were similar to the Gauls/Continental Celts
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2017, 04:18:52 AM »

What are you saying flows from there?  Whiteness?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »

What the  kind of a question is this?  LOL.  If a White person converts to Islam, he's obviously a White Muslim.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2017, 12:37:33 PM »

You guys are all making a moot point. Someone of English ancestry can convert to Islam.

Exactly.
I find it humorous that others are going on about Bosnia, Turkey, Indo-Europeans, little green people from Mars, etc, etc.

If little green people from Mars came here and demonstrated their superior abilities, I, for one, would join the faith of our new alien overlords.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »

Generally speaking, Middle Eastern people(those in the Levant) are essentially the place where Arabic, Egyptian/African, Greek/European, and Iranian/Asian peoples and cultures mixed. A good portion of European ancestry came from Northeast Asia and light skinned North Africans. Obviously, the skin color/ancestry came from the people who were north of the Caucasus Mountains and west of the Ural Mountains. The name Caucasian would be more accurately described as Upper/Northern Caucasian or Western Uralian.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »

With the US census category addition they will start the pandering for votes and claims of racism to further divide us will increase.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2017, 01:54:41 PM »

Exactly.

If little green people from Mars came here and demonstrated their superior abilities, I, for one, would join the faith of our new alien overlords.

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »

Weren't many of the Islamic rulers in Spain light-skinned?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »

These results make me wonder why so many sometimes use a very stupid "white\Muslim" dichotomy.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

Yes (normal, White person, lifelong Muslim)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2019, 01:59:37 AM »

Bumping because I learned this is the first ever Muslim woman to receive double digits in a major party Congressional primary, and the first Muslim to ever serve in the Iowa legislature:

Yeah, case closed.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2019, 02:14:21 AM »

That reminds me of a Crusader Kings 2 game I played where the main "villain" (at least from my perspective) was a very light skinned French Muslim ruler. Basically the Catholics in Iberia fell fast and France was easy for the Muslims to gobble up once it collapsed in a series of civil wars.

I did manage to defeat him and re-Catholicize a bunch of French territory but not accomplish my goal of converting to Orthodox and then Orthodoxizing the British Isles. Sad
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »

Apparently, according to at least one Hadith, Mohammed himself was white.

That reminds me of a Crusader Kings 2 game I played where the main "villain" (at least from my perspective) was a very light skinned French Muslim ruler. Basically the Catholics in Iberia fell fast and France was easy for the Muslims to gobble up once it collapsed in a series of civil wars.

I did manage to defeat him and re-Catholicize a bunch of French territory but not accomplish my goal of converting to Orthodox and then Orthodoxizing the British Isles. Sad

That sounds like a pretty interesting game, occasionally I think about buying a Paradox game but then they look too tedious so I stick to Total War.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2019, 10:40:14 AM »
« Edited: May 04, 2019, 11:46:42 AM by Edgar Suit Larry »

Not to split hairs or that I actually truly subscribe to this but could “white” be on several different parameters. I mean, there could be people who “look white”, “Are culturally white”, and are “ancestrally white”. Someone could be very white and one way and kind of brown, yellow, or even black in another.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2019, 10:48:42 AM »

"White" is a lot more modern of a term than other dividing lines between peoples.  Most people in the United States and even Europe lazily use "White" to mean European Indo Europeans and make exceptions to include some outlier groups like Finns, Hungarians and Basques (and completely ignore non-European Indo Europeans like Iranian and Indic peoples).  Someone being "White" has more to do with how they simply look to most people than it does their ethnic background.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2019, 11:34:57 AM »

No, because nobody is white.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2019, 11:47:03 AM »

What if I was white?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2019, 11:51:56 AM »

"White" is a lot more modern of a term than other dividing lines between peoples.  Most people in the United States and even Europe lazily use "White" to mean European Indo Europeans and make exceptions to include some outlier groups like Finns, Hungarians and Basques (and completely ignore non-European Indo Europeans like Iranian and Indic peoples).  Someone being "White" has more to do with how they simply look to most people than it does their ethnic background.

And even then... when does white, yellow, brown, and black begin? There are a lot of places, especially in Southern Europe and Central Asia where people who lived amongst  each other for hundreds, if not thousands, of years that look like they are not from Florence, Madrid, or Almaty but from Hamburg, Oslo, Riyadh, or even Veranasi.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies