Can Muslims be white? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:04:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Can Muslims be white? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Can Muslims be white?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 144

Author Topic: Can Muslims be white?  (Read 5172 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:47:12 AM »

Yes and this is why people need to quit being f[inks]ing idiots and acting like there's a "white/Muslim" dichotomy and saying things like "oh it was a white guy who did this terrorism, not a Muslim", implying the two are mutually exclusive. They are not. This is what one of the Vox writers who is a Muslim and writes all the articles explaining aspects of Islam looks like:

I mean if I converted to Islam in early 2020, does that mean I shouldn't put down "white" on the 2020 Census? And if so, what should I put down?

For that matter there have also been white guys who have also been Islamist terrorists to boot. Being a Muslim does preclude one from being white, or vice-versa.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »

Yes, you can be white AND a Muslim whether you were raised as a Muslim or converted.

Some people say that being a Muslim makes you culturally non-white.

How on Earth is Jennifer Williams (pictured in the OP), culturally non-white? Aside from converting to Islam she's one of the most stereotypical SWPL types ever based on her writings, not to mention that she writes for Vox of all things.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:45:57 AM »

"Race" is a social construct, so people are whatever they are labelled. For the purpose of how they are treated in Western society though, no, Muslims, particularly Arab Muslims are not white.

So that person pictured in the OP is not white?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »

Well, what, exactly, is "White?" Historically, the Irish, Italians, Slavs, and so on were not technically "White" in America.

No. That was debunked earlier in this thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:13:45 PM »

These results make me wonder why so many sometimes use a very stupid "white\Muslim" dichotomy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 01:59:37 AM »

Bumping because I learned this is the first ever Muslim woman to receive double digits in a major party Congressional primary, and the first Muslim to ever serve in the Iowa legislature:

Yeah, case closed.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 02:14:21 AM »

Weren't many of the Islamic rulers in Spain light-skinned?
That reminds me of a Crusader Kings 2 game I played where the main "villain" (at least from my perspective) was a very light skinned French Muslim ruler. Basically the Catholics in Iberia fell fast and France was easy for the Muslims to gobble up once it collapsed in a series of civil wars.

I did manage to defeat him and re-Catholicize a bunch of French territory but not accomplish my goal of converting to Orthodox and then Orthodoxizing the British Isles. Sad
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 01:41:05 PM »

I only asked it because of the stupidity of people who sort of try to draw a "white/Muslim" dichotomy, talking about how "a white guy did this terrorist act, not a Muslim, etc."

Funnily I heard this sort of thing hunting for the Boston Marathon bombers...and it turned out they were both white and Muslim!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 11:15:48 AM »

If a Muslim is white, but no one is around to tell him/her that they are white, are they in fact white?

What is white?
Irish, Slavic was "not white" in America 200 years ago. It's an ever-evolving, out-dated term that is sadly still relevant to us.
That's not really true. Those ethnic groups might've been seen as distrusted and discriminated, but they were still considered white. They had high voter turnout when all non-whites were basically banned from voting. They could marry WASPs even with laws against interracial marriage on the books. They weren't banned from "Whites only" spaces under segregation. Etc.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies