What is the most liberal major city in the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What is the most liberal major city in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What is the most liberal major city in the U.S.?
Boston

New York

Philadelphia

Washington DC

Detroit

Chicago

St. Louis

San Francisco

Seattle

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 46

Author Topic: What is the most liberal major city in the U.S.?  (Read 4897 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2005, 12:45:49 PM »

San Fran is the most liberal, but not necessarily the most Democratic.

LA is a liberal city, but honestly its no more liberal than any other major city.  The Democrat heavy voting is mostly ethnic, Jew, Latino, and Black constituencies.  The actual liberalism is very shallow, unlike SF where its deeply felt.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2005, 12:51:48 PM »

Sounds ghastly
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix
E: 8.50, S: -0.62

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2005, 12:52:19 PM »

San Fran is the most liberal, but not necessarily the most Democratic.

LA is a liberal city, but honestly its no more liberal than any other major city.  The Democrat heavy voting is mostly ethnic, Jew, Latino, and Black constituencies.  The actual liberalism is very shallow, unlike SF where its deeply felt.

LA votes heavily Democrat (like you said, for mostly racial reasons), and it is "liberal" compared to pretty much anywhere in the U.S. outside of the big cities, but I'd say it's similar to Denver or Dallas in its liberalism.  LA seems out of place on the "Left Coast".
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2005, 03:28:59 PM »

And even in the single-family really rich white neighborhoods, they're just filled with "IMPEACH BUSH" type signs.

Sounds ghastly

Surprise, the home of Starbucks has a bunch of latte liberals...

Latte liberals? haha, you don't know what you're talking about.
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2005, 03:46:45 PM »

And even in the single-family really rich white neighborhoods, they're just filled with "IMPEACH BUSH" type signs.

Sounds ghastly

I was talking about rich, white liberals claim to care so much about the poor and minorities, but don't do anything to help other than vote Democrat (who, not coincidentally, have a vested interest in keeping poor minorities exactly where they are now).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2005, 03:48:26 PM »

I was talking about rich, white liberals claim to care so much about the poor and minorities, but don't do anything to help other than vote Democrat (who, not coincidentally, have a vested interest in keeping poor minorities exactly where they are now).

Are you going to tell me that Democrats like John Conyers are pourposefully keeping the black man down?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2005, 03:56:47 PM »

Are you going to tell me that Democrats like John Conyers are pourposefully keeping the black man down?

He has a vested interest in it, yes.  Rich blacks are far more friendly to Republicans than poor blacks are.  If all Conyer's constituents became rich, do you really think they would keep him around?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2005, 04:00:53 PM »

I bet rich blacks are still Democratic (though I agree they're probably less so). Any stats on this?
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2005, 04:04:57 PM »

I bet rich blacks are still Democratic (though I agree they're probably less so). Any stats on this?

You're probably right.  Most blacks from affluent families identify with black cultural awareness and care more about social issues than economics.  Though there are some rich blacks who do the opposite.  I have a black friend whose mother helped launch USA Today.  They should be voting Republican economically, but they're proud of their  black heritage and vote Democratic.  They seem to be more collectivist in general.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2005, 06:05:57 PM »

Sounds ghastly

What's that have to do with coffee? And how do you know for a fact that Seattle is full of these people?
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2005, 06:10:23 PM »

Sounds ghastly

What's that have to do with coffee? And how do you know for a fact that Seattle is full of these people?

It was a joke:  Latte->Coffee

You are the one that commented on rich, white liberals.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2005, 06:15:35 PM »

Sounds ghastly

It was a joke:  Latte->Coffee

You are the one that commented on rich, white liberals.

Did I? I thought that was Alcon.

And I just never got the term "latte liberal." Plenty of Republicans drink lattes and coffee, too...
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2005, 06:22:17 PM »

Economically: detroit, with many blacks and unionists
Socially: SF, with the 25%+ gay population
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2005, 08:25:44 PM »

San Francisco.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2005, 10:36:02 PM »

San Francisco, with Boston second.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »

It sure as Hell is not Boston.  "Civil Rights" like Busing have found their toughest opponents in Bostonians.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2005, 02:43:57 AM »

BRTD, for what it's worth, the Seattle strip club regulations have nothing to do with social views.  It's all about economics, and Seattle's program of trying to foster family neighbourhoods for the purposes of gentrification, which is really only a social issue to you.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2005, 10:48:54 AM »

BRTD, for what it's worth, the Seattle strip club regulations have nothing to do with social views.  It's all about economics, and Seattle's program of trying to foster family neighbourhoods for the purposes of gentrification, which is really only a social issue to you.

1-what does what goes on INSIDE the strip club have to do with that? How does a strip club affect the neighborhood any less if there's a 4 foot rule or not.
2-Gentrification = more like the suburbs = NOT LIBERAL. More argument that Minneapolis is moreso, as most Twin Citians HATE suburbs. Despite the constant claim from Republicans that inner cities are awful places to live, I have never met anyone from Minneapolis who wants to move to the suburbs.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2005, 12:15:17 PM »

Why isn't Portland, Oregon mentioned in this line-up?
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2005, 12:40:57 PM »

2-Gentrification = more like the suburbs = NOT LIBERAL. More argument that Minneapolis is moreso, as most Twin Citians HATE suburbs. Despite the constant claim from Republicans that inner cities are awful places to live, I have never met anyone from Minneapolis who wants to move to the suburbs.

What is your deal with suburbs?  Funny the gentrified areas of Philly provide lots of Democratic votes and not to mention much needed money.  They are also close to the Philly nightlife and if I had the money, I would not mind living in a gentrified area of Philly such as Olde City or Northern Libs.  Say, would you like Northeast Philly?  Mind you you'd be fine economically minus the Communism, but socially you'd have some difficulty as do I.  There is a large element of racism and homophobia here and cops are almost ALWAYS sided with here.  I would gladly take Montgomery County or parts of Philly over where I live now.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2005, 12:46:42 PM »

Why isn't Portland, Oregon mentioned in this line-up?

Good one! Strip club capital of the US!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2005, 12:48:10 PM »

What is your deal with suburbs?  Funny the gentrified areas of Philly provide lots of Democratic votes and not to mention much needed money.  They are also close to the Philly nightlife and if I had the money, I would not mind living in a gentrified area of Philly such as Olde City or Northern Libs.  Say, would you like Northeast Philly?  Mind you you'd be fine economically minus the Communism, but socially you'd have some difficulty as do I.  There is a large element of racism and homophobia here and cops are almost ALWAYS sided with here.  I would gladly take Montgomery County or parts of Philly over where I live now.

No, I'd rather have Center City. Some place like that that isn't full of identical looking white houses and picket fences like gentrified suburbs.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2005, 01:27:13 PM »

No matter what their political views are, Seattle and Portland are beautiful cities.  The Northwest is a very picturesque area of the country.

Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2005, 07:08:06 PM »

1:San Francisco
2:Detroit
3:Seatlle
Blue Rectangle

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2005, 08:23:10 PM »

By coincidence, there was a story on this subject today in the paper.

This just in: Colorado Springs is a conservative city.

I don't agree much with the rankings, but I thought I'd post it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies