Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:52:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia  (Read 1106 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 12, 2017, 10:11:33 PM »

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 10:13:59 PM »

Russia, frankly, is not a country worthy of existing. They have, for the most part, been a huge anchor on the world and caused innumerable amounts of misery.

There is very little redeeming qualities of russia, and my life has not been made better by anything that has come out of that cold wasteland.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 10:16:19 PM »

Russia, frankly, is not a country worthy of existing. They have, for the most part, been a huge anchor on the world and caused innumerable amounts of misery.

There is very little redeeming qualities of russia, and my life has not been made better by anything that has come out of that cold wasteland.

Whoa man tell us how you really feel, stop sugar coating it!

Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:25:57 PM »

I am not a fan of ayn rand at all, but she is right on when she called russia the ugliest country to ever exist.

Why do you think that russians in america never think of even visiting their homeland again?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:27:42 PM »

both countries do it
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »

Disgraceful. Russia is the most heroic country in the history of the world, this is not how they deserve to be treated.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 09:27:20 AM »

Through a public law? Trump could veto it, though that would most likely be overriden.

LOL at Santander's answer.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 09:30:51 AM »

Trump should veto this. Sanctions targeting a nation's economy are not good policy.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »

I am not a fan of ayn rand at all, but she is right on when she called russia the ugliest country to ever exist.

Why do you think that russians in america never think of even visiting their homeland again?

As a friend from Russia who I went to college with said "most of the things in America you hear about foreign countries is wrong, but everything bad about Putin you hear is correct".
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »

I agree with you man just giving you a hard time haha Wink
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 01:54:54 PM »

It passed the Senate 97-2
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 02:31:36 PM »

Russia is an awful country in the sense that it has a malevolent government and is by most accounts deeply unpleasant to live in, sure, but to make vertiginous, all-implicating judgments about nothing good ever coming out of it is absurd, especially given its historical role in the fine arts.

And, yeah, sanctions are terrible policy and terrible geopolitics, with very few exceptions.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »

Wow. Overwhelming vote.
But yet the orange-clown believes everything Russia has done, is fake news.
How could 97 Senators see it, but everyone in the trump administration not ?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2017, 03:41:51 PM »

Great news. A country that cyberattacks and especially the integrity of American elections must be punished heavily enough to deter future attempts for all time, and to deter any other countries that could try the same. Glad to see Senate Republicans have at least some nationalism left in them.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2017, 03:46:48 PM by azcactus »

Not sure how to feel about this. Putin is an awful, meddling fascist, but punishing the Russian people for it is a poor show.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2017, 03:45:29 PM »

I suppose you would prefer all of Central Asia be illiterate.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »

Not sure how to feel about this. Putin is an awful, meddling fascist, but punishing the Russian people for it is a poor show.

I understand what you are saying, but when you (the USA and other European nations) already have dozens of sanctions directly aimed at Russian government officials for ills they have conducted, it's time to step-up the game.

Sometimes nation-wide sanctions will get the attention of the citizens of the effected country, and they in turn will demand changes of their government officials. I believe this was very effective in Iran, when the world placed many sanctions on that country. The people there stood-up and wanted better (economic) relations with the world. It usually takes many years for such sanctions to "take," but the longer you delay, the longer any positive outcome will be seen.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 03:57:47 PM »

In other words: "Those savages would be illiterate had the noble Russians not shouldered the burden of colonizing their land."

The Self
Rookie
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2017, 04:28:41 PM »

You don't seem the type to be fond of the Soviet Union.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »

In other words: "Those savages would be illiterate had the noble Russians not shouldered the burden of colonizing their land."

The literature I refer to is rather dated, but the implication is that capital transfers reversed in the Soviet period, meaning that Central Asia received more than it produced, at least up to the 60's/70's. Any idiot will tell you that the period also saw marked increases in literacy (and a lessening of the gender disparity regarding such) in the region. That this was not worth the sacrifice that it implied--or, the negative effects of the Soviet Union's overall existence--we both might agree on. That said, it would be beyond idiotic to claim that Russia has produced absolutely nothing of value.

I suppose you would rather we had no periodic table of elements.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »

Your point?
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2017, 04:34:50 PM »

Your point?

That the nation responsible for putting Central Asian literacy nearly on par with the modern West isn't the contemporary Russian Federation, but the Soviet Union.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »

Your point?

That the nation responsible for putting Central Asian literacy nearly on par with the modern West isn't the contemporary Russian Federation, but the Soviet Union.

I am aware of such. Nevertheless, the USSR, was created and then--particularly in its formative days--run primarily by Russians, so I feel considering them somewhat equivalent within the context of this conversation acceptable.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2017, 05:08:28 PM »

The literature I refer to is rather dated, but the implication is that capital transfers reversed in the Soviet period, meaning that Central Asia received more than it produced, at least up to the 60's/70's. Any idiot will tell you that the period also saw marked increases in literacy (and a lessening of the gender disparity regarding such) in the region. That this was not worth the sacrifice that it implied--or, the negative effects of the Soviet Union's overall existence--we both might agree on. That said, it would be beyond idiotic to claim that Russia has produced absolutely nothing of value.

I suppose you would rather we had no periodic table of elements.

I mean, this is the standard pro-imperialist argument. It ignores that capital tends to move to less-developed areas with natural resources even if they are independent. By your argument, Iran should be illiterate since it never had the honor of being under the boot-heel of Soviet overlords.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Indeed, the USSR for all its faults had an illustrious history and Russia would be a much better place if it embraced its progressive Soviet roots. Stop supporting far right politicians and support anti-racism instead. Stop suppressing gay rights and human rights. Support democratic elections instead of trying to hack them. Renounce imperialism in Ukraine and elsewhere.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2017, 05:13:39 PM »

Odds Trump vetoes?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies