Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia  (Read 1117 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »

I assure you, I have little interest in making the case that Iran should have been an SSR. Moreover, my snide, trolling comment takes place in the context of a much larger system of capital distribution--one that saw Ukraine robbed during that same time of 20% of its GDP to fund development projects in Russia, and yes, Kazakhstan. I actually enjoy bringing up the Central Asia example specifically because it is a region that has at least some history of benefitting from the USSR, unlike the aforementioned Ukraine. On a related note, when you refer to resource heavy regions and bring up Iran as an example, I would state that (according to my knowledge) resources were rather famously hard to extract in Central Asia. Any story of their experience under pre-Soviet Russian domination will be one of mines and wells being sh**t down, or simply being seriously hampered by geography. Central Asia, as unique an experience as this may be compared to other Soviet "colonies", appears to have received disproportionate development. While some of this was useless from the standpoint of a rationalized system, it at least may have provided some alternative to the cotton monoculture that the region's previous imperial Russian rulers enforced.

I suppose you would prefer the world do without Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »

Suggesting that Russia is inherently evil and oppressive is a little whoa, but it has to be made clear that there are consequences both for violating the international order as they have and (in an ideal world) for actual fascism, so I would get behind these. Certainly sanctions are an imperfect method but there's not much you can do against a nation with 5000 nuclear weapons.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »

Most Americans would, if they were honest with themselves, and I'm not talking about his post-Soviet years.

I'm unsure if most Americans have ever heard of him, but I still don't entirely follow.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 11:12:32 AM »

Not to put too fine a point on it, but those improvements in literacy came along with massive famines and deportations that killed a substantial number of people in Central Asia. You can't just look at the first out of context.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »

Most Americans would, if they were honest with themselves, and I'm not talking about his post-Soviet years.

I'm unsure if most Americans have ever heard of him, but I still don't entirely follow.

His Harvard Address should make it clear enough.

Seems rather poignant.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies