Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:34:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate announces new bipartisan sanctions against Russia  (Read 1127 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 14, 2017, 03:45:29 PM »

Russia, frankly, is not a country worthy of existing. They have, for the most part, been a huge anchor on the world and caused innumerable amounts of misery.

There is very little redeeming qualities of russia, and my life has not been made better by anything that has come out of that cold wasteland.

I suppose you would prefer all of Central Asia be illiterate.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:32:02 PM »

Russia, frankly, is not a country worthy of existing. They have, for the most part, been a huge anchor on the world and caused innumerable amounts of misery.

There is very little redeeming qualities of russia, and my life has not been made better by anything that has come out of that cold wasteland.

In other words: "Those savages would be illiterate had the noble Russians not shouldered the burden of colonizing their land."

The literature I refer to is rather dated, but the implication is that capital transfers reversed in the Soviet period, meaning that Central Asia received more than it produced, at least up to the 60's/70's. Any idiot will tell you that the period also saw marked increases in literacy (and a lessening of the gender disparity regarding such) in the region. That this was not worth the sacrifice that it implied--or, the negative effects of the Soviet Union's overall existence--we both might agree on. That said, it would be beyond idiotic to claim that Russia has produced absolutely nothing of value.

I suppose you would rather we had no periodic table of elements.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »

You don't seem the type to be fond of the Soviet Union.

Your point?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 04:37:36 PM »

You don't seem the type to be fond of the Soviet Union.

Your point?

That the nation responsible for putting Central Asian literacy nearly on par with the modern West isn't the contemporary Russian Federation, but the Soviet Union.

I am aware of such. Nevertheless, the USSR, was created and then--particularly in its formative days--run primarily by Russians, so I feel considering them somewhat equivalent within the context of this conversation acceptable.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »

I assure you, I have little interest in making the case that Iran should have been an SSR. Moreover, my snide, trolling comment takes place in the context of a much larger system of capital distribution--one that saw Ukraine robbed during that same time of 20% of its GDP to fund development projects in Russia, and yes, Kazakhstan. I actually enjoy bringing up the Central Asia example specifically because it is a region that has at least some history of benefitting from the USSR, unlike the aforementioned Ukraine. On a related note, when you refer to resource heavy regions and bring up Iran as an example, I would state that (according to my knowledge) resources were rather famously hard to extract in Central Asia. Any story of their experience under pre-Soviet Russian domination will be one of mines and wells being sh**t down, or simply being seriously hampered by geography. Central Asia, as unique an experience as this may be compared to other Soviet "colonies", appears to have received disproportionate development. While some of this was useless from the standpoint of a rationalized system, it at least may have provided some alternative to the cotton monoculture that the region's previous imperial Russian rulers enforced.

I suppose you would prefer the world do without Alexander Solzhenitsyn.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »

Most Americans would, if they were honest with themselves, and I'm not talking about his post-Soviet years.

I'm unsure if most Americans have ever heard of him, but I still don't entirely follow.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »

Most Americans would, if they were honest with themselves, and I'm not talking about his post-Soviet years.

I'm unsure if most Americans have ever heard of him, but I still don't entirely follow.

His Harvard Address should make it clear enough.

Seems rather poignant.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies