SCOTUS Strikes Down Law Favoring Unwed Mothers Over Unwed Fathers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:17:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS Strikes Down Law Favoring Unwed Mothers Over Unwed Fathers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCOTUS Strikes Down Law Favoring Unwed Mothers Over Unwed Fathers  (Read 489 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.npr.org/2017/06/13/532674073/high-court-strikes-down-law-favoring-unwed-mothers-over-unwed-fathers
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 05:13:01 AM »

Excellent news.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:23:13 AM »

Yes, good news indeed.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 06:27:56 AM »

I can't believe that was a law
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »

I can't believe it took SCOTUS this long to strike this absurdity down. Hoping it was 9-0
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 08:56:11 AM »

Interesting law, considering European nationality is generally understood to be transmitted patrilineally. Or perhaps that is why it was imbalanced in favor of children born to unwed mothers, to prevent statelessness and similar problems? In that case, it would make sense.

In a jus soli state, it is perfectly justified, and arguably necessary, to have restrictive laws regarding citizenship by descent.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 09:24:31 AM »

"But feminazis only care about women and girls, they hate men!!"
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »

Unfortunately it was done by making things harder for everyone.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »

There is, of course, no clause in the Constitution requiring the federal government to treat everyone equally. What the Supreme Court has been doing, since WWII, is "interpreting" the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment as if that clause requires equal treatment of the laws. That "interpretation" is, as Prof. John Hart Ely said in a famous 1980 book, "gibberish both  syntactically and historically." (See "Democracy and Distrust," by Ely, page 32.)
All of the Justices subscribe to this misinterpretation, probably because there aren't any lawyers brave enough to try to argue to the Court that it needs to re-examine this doctrine.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 06:33:00 PM »

There is, of course, no clause in the Constitution requiring the federal government to treat everyone equally. What the Supreme Court has been doing, since WWII, is "interpreting" the Due Process Clause of the Fifth Amendment as if that clause requires equal treatment of the laws. That "interpretation" is, as Prof. John Hart Ely said in a famous 1980 book, "gibberish both  syntactically and historically." (See "Democracy and Distrust," by Ely, page 32.)
All of the Justices subscribe to this misinterpretation, probably because there aren't any lawyers brave enough to try to argue to the Court that it needs to re-examine this doctrine.

People like you are why we need to pass the Equal Rights Amendment. Of course "pro-lifers who are only pro-life because we are so concerned with the fetus but support equal rights" won't support it.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 06:40:27 PM »

I can't believe it took SCOTUS this long to strike this absurdity down. Hoping it was 9-0
I hope so as well
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 08:21:32 PM »

People like you are why we need to pass the Equal Rights Amendment. Of course "pro-lifers who are only pro-life because we are so concerned with the fetus but support equal rights" won't support it.

Some "pro-lifers" might be afraid that ERA will mean that laws banning abortion will be unconstitutional -- those laws are discriminatory against women. Whether or not all "pro-lifers" feel that way, it's kind of ironic for you to mention a reason why we need to adopt an ERA, even more so as that you're accusing ME of being a reason why we need one. See my signature line? I want an amendment to be adopted that rewrites Section 1 of the 14th Amendment to make its meaning narrower and clearer. It just so happens that what I've drafted includes the principle of the ERA, and imposes the rule of sexual equality on the federal government too.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies