Culture Gap Could Keep Democrats From Gaining Seats in 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:06:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Culture Gap Could Keep Democrats From Gaining Seats in 2006
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Author Topic: Culture Gap Could Keep Democrats From Gaining Seats in 2006  (Read 24397 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2005, 11:57:45 AM »
« edited: August 10, 2005, 12:12:56 PM by Frodo »

For Democrats, a Troubling Culture Gap

By Dan Balz
Wednesday, August 10, 2005; Page A08

Dissatisfaction over the war in Iraq, the economy and rising health care costs might spell trouble for Republicans, but a study by Democratic strategists warns that their party's failure to connect with voters on cultural issues could prevent Democratic candidates from reaping gains in upcoming national elections.

Democrats have expressed bewilderment over Republican gains among lower-income, less-educated voters, saying they are voting against their economic self-interest by supporting Republican candidates. But the new Democracy Corps study concludes that cultural issues trump economic issues by a wide margin for many of these voters -- giving the GOP a significant electoral advantage.

The study is based on focus groups of rural voters in Wisconsin and Arkansas and disaffected supporters of President Bush in Colorado and Kentucky. The good news for Democrats: All the groups expressed dissatisfaction with the direction of the country and with the leadership of the president and the GOP-controlled Congress.

Then came the bad news: "As powerful as the concern over these issues is, the introduction of cultural themes -- specifically gay marriage, abortion, the importance of the traditional family unit and the role of religion in public life -- quickly renders them almost irrelevant in terms of electoral politics at the national level," the study said.

Many of these voters still favor Democrats on economic issues. But they see the Democrats as weak on national security, and on cultural and moral issues, they view Democrats as both inconsistent and hostile to traditional values. "Most referred to Democrats as 'liberal' on issues of morality, but some even go so far as to label them 'immoral,' 'morally bankrupt,' or even 'anti-religious,' " according to the Democracy Corps analysis.

Democrats Karl Agne and Stan Greenberg, who conducted the focus group, said Democrats need a reform-oriented, anti-Washington agenda to overcome the culture gap. At this point, Democrats are in no position to capitalize if there is a clear backlash against Republicans. "No matter how disaffected they are over Republican failures in Iraq and here at home," they said, "a large chunk of white, non-college voters, particularly in rural areas, will remain unreachable for Democrats at the national level."

source

And here's the study itself, in PDF format:

THE CULTURAL DIVIDE &
THE CHALLENGE OF WINNING BACK RURAL & RED STATE VOTERS

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 12:07:23 PM »

Interesting article

I think at some point the Democratic leadership needs to tell the loony left to shut up. Publically.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 12:10:17 PM »

define "loony left". I don't think it's loony to oppose fiddling with the Constitution over crap like gay marriage or the agenda of people like Robertson and Falwell.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 12:12:09 PM »

Interesting article

I think at some point the Democratic leadership needs to tell the loony left to shut up. Publically.

They have. That's why we're in this mess.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 12:20:27 PM »

Interesting article

No, NO NO NO!!  Please don't encourage the DLC to do that.  I completely and utterly agree with DailyKOS that the DNC needs to tell the DLC to go to hell.  Publically.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 12:21:24 PM »

When exactly? I don't recall (say) Boxer being told to shut up recently... and I don't see any strong criticisms of far left lobby groups...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Please put down you're crackpipe
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 12:25:33 PM »

When exactly? I don't recall (say) Boxer being told to shut up recently... and I don't see any strong criticisms of far left lobby groups...

Please put down you're crackpipe

The DLC is always criticizing some Democrat. You're an idiot if you think that massively condemning anyone you call loony left, and moving to the right is going to help the Democratic party. Since when has the Republican party condemned their many extremists or moved to the left? You probably just want pro-war anti-abortionists to take over the Democratic party, even though the majority of Americans are anti-war and pro-choice.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 12:27:15 PM »

What is your problem with Boxer? How is she loony?

The only DLC democrat I would consider supporting in 2008 is Mark Warner. The DLC has few true principles, they usually just try to chase the ever right-moving center. They are the corporate wing of the Democratic party, and that doesn't cut it.

We need to become a more populist party, not a corporate party that is Republican-lite.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 12:29:07 PM »

What is your problem with Boxer? How is she loony?

The only DLC democrat I would consider supporting in 2008 is Mark Warner. The DLC has few true principles, they usually just try to chase the ever right-moving center. They are the corporate wing of the Democratic party, and that doesn't cut it.

No kidding. The last thing we need to do is run some pro-war, pro-bankruptcy bill, anti-choice "Democrat" who speaks and acts like a Republican. If the voters want a Republican, they'll just vote Republican, instead of Republican-lite.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 12:29:26 PM »

Well part of the problem is that many on the far left, i.e. jfern, are totally in dreamland when it comes to surveying the political landscape.

So obviously the course of action they recommend is going to be wrong-- even a rational decision-maker needs accurate information to make that decision.

Most basically, they believe voters are much more liberal than they really are. Until they enter the real world, the bad decisions will continue.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:31:34 PM »

Well part of the problem is that many on the far left, i.e. jfern, are totally in dreamland when it comes to surveying the political landscape.

So obviously the course of action they recommend is going to be wrong-- even a rational decision-maker needs accurate information to make that decision.

Most basically, they believe voters are much more liberal than they really are. Until they enter the real world, the bad decisions will continue.

The polls agree with me. Bush has a 61% disapproval rating on the Iraq war.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:32:35 PM »

Americans are center-left on economic issues. I like Warner more than other DLC Democrats because he does a better job addressing the economic concerns of the typical voter.

We can be in the center on social issues, but we need to be more populist on economic issues. That is a winning combination.

Other DLC democrats are much too anti-worker in my opinion.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 12:32:52 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself.  The DLC is pragmatic, and we're trying to help.  If you don't want to listen to us, you can keep losing elections in the South and the Heartland.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 12:36:15 PM »

I couldn't have put it better myself.  The DLC is pragmatic, and we're trying to help.  If you don't want to listen to us, you can keep losing elections in the South and the Heartland.

When does the DLC help to win elections? Hackett wasn't DLC and almost won an ultra-conservative district. The DLC tried to claim Newsome as a member. They are a joke.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 12:36:20 PM »

Good article, thanks for posting it.  It's something that both of the two parties need to pay close attention to if they want to grow their bases.

As far as the Democrats themselves go, I stated before the election that the DNC was facing a major split within their own party.  You have the hard-core left faction and the moderate/populist faction at odds with each other.  Why the DNC chose to turn away from the progress Clinton made with moving the party to the middle, I don't know, but that is where a large segment of their base is still currently residing, and the Republicans are taking advantage of that on the local levels.  

The Republicans, on the other hand, need to ensure they don't get too full of themselves (like the Democrats did in the past) and take their supporters for granted.  That doesn't mean they have to give them every perk in the book, but they do need to listen to what their more fiscally conservative supporters are saying.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 12:38:19 PM »

Good article, thanks for posting it.  It's something that both of the two parties need to pay close attention to if they want to grow their bases.

As far as the Democrats themselves go, I stated before the election that the DNC was facing a major split within their own party.  You have the hard-core left faction and the moderate/populist faction at odds with each other.  Why the DNC chose to turn away from the progress Clinton made with moving the party to the middle, I don't know, but that is where a large segment of their base is still currently residing, and the Republicans are taking advantage of that on the local levels. 

The Republicans, on the other hand, need to ensure they don't get too full of themselves (like the Democrats did in the past) and take their supporters for granted.  That doesn't mean they have to give them every perk in the book, but they do need to listen to what their more fiscally conservative supporters are saying.

1. Fiscal conservatives don't vote Republican today
2. Are you somehow arguing that the far-right Republican party should spend more time listening to their far-right base, while the moderate Democratic party should ignore their base?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 12:39:47 PM »

JFern is just fine how he is.

Tim Ryan is a great congressman. He is pro-gun and  pro-life and I would support him in a heartbeat. Why? Because he supports the average American worker and votes for policies that will help our economic future. He also doesn't sell out to corporate interests. That is a true Democrat.

Many on this board come from upper middle class or rich families, and have never had to experience economic worries. Many ignore economic issues and think social wedge issues are what matters. The media has helped brainwash many young people to devalue economic concerns.

The Republican party has pushed their divisive social agenda on our country to distract voters while they reach into their pockets and steal away their economic future. Republicans are not right, they are destroying this country. Eventually we will look back at this period and see how much damage they have done. Right now many Americans (and many on this board) are still in a daze.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 12:41:42 PM »

Once again I ask, what do people propose, that the Democrats embrace Falwell and Robertson or what?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 12:42:04 PM »

[I couldn't have put it better myself.  The DLC is pragmatic, and we're trying to help.

The DLC needs more action, and less talk. Right now they're doing nothing besides blowing hot air and criticizing other Democrats.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2005, 12:42:13 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2005, 12:44:53 PM by TakeOurCountryBack »

How the hell are we ever going to make progress if our two major political factions both cater to uneducated, rural voters.  The Dems should just continue to take hold of the once-republican, more libertarian suburbs and play a waiting game with the West.  In the not to distant future, states like CO, AZ, and NV are going to hold a lot more weight and they will all be solidly Democratic. 
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2005, 12:44:39 PM »

How the hell are we ever going to make progress if our two major political factions both cater to uneducated, rural voters.  

Recent polls show that Democrats are making good headway with rural voters who are becoming  more concerned with the war and economic issues.

Running pro-gun candidates also helps a lot in rural areas. Paul Hackett kicked ass in the rural counties of Ohio's District 2. I would really like to see the Democratic party reach out to rural voters. We can win them over.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2005, 12:45:47 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2005, 12:47:28 PM by jfern »

[I couldn't have put it better myself.  The DLC is pragmatic, and we're trying to help.

The DLC needs more action, and less talk. Right now they're doing nothing besides blowing hot air and criticizing other Democrats.

Yep. The New Democratic Network is a much better organization. Democrats have to stand for something. The DLC doesn't seem to do that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2005, 12:51:02 PM »

The DLC is always criticizing some Democrat.

Some examples would be nice. But I don't recall them telling Boxer to shut up. I don't recall the various ultra-liberal lobby groups being told where to **** off either.

Generally speaking condemning extremists and moving into the mainstream is a good idea electorally

They haven't had any need to. You need to have a good hard look at yourself and ask why.

Roll Eyes

Most Americans are not "pro-choice"; an overwhelming majority are moderates and favour restrictions of some kind but not an outright ban. Most Americans are apalled by groups like NARAL. Most Americans are not happy with the way things have been going in Iraq. But they don't share the position of the Anti War Left on Iraq either. To assume that they do is to make exactly the same mistake the Left made over Vietnam.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2005, 12:52:48 PM »

The DLC is always criticizing some Democrat.

Some examples would be nice. But I don't recall them telling Boxer to shut up. I don't recall the various ultra-liberal lobby groups being told where to **** off either.

Generally speaking condemning extremists and moving into the mainstream is a good idea electorally

They haven't had any need to. You need to have a good hard look at yourself and ask why.

Roll Eyes

Most Americans are not "pro-choice"; an overwhelming majority are moderates and favour restrictions of some kind but not an outright ban. Most Americans are apalled by groups like NARAL. Most Americans are not happy with the way things have been going in Iraq. But they don't share the position of the Anti War Left on Iraq either. To assume that they do is to make exactly the same mistake the Left made over Vietnam.

You seem to not understand how far right the Republicans are. 86% of Americans favor raising the minimum wage.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2005, 12:54:49 PM »

Al, I am disappointed in how brainwashed you are in some areas.

You still can't tell me how Barbara Boxer is "loony". Seems like you want a Democratic party that will sell themselves out to the corporations and religious right.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies