Culture Gap Could Keep Democrats From Gaining Seats in 2006
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:46:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Culture Gap Could Keep Democrats From Gaining Seats in 2006
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]
Author Topic: Culture Gap Could Keep Democrats From Gaining Seats in 2006  (Read 24389 times)
AuH2O
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2005, 02:59:11 PM »

Maybe you were thinking of another Mike Huckabee. I was thinking of the one that wants in-state tuition for illegals, raised taxes, and is all about government spending increases in every possible area (education, infastructure-- roads, technology, etc.).

The * indicates he is socially conservative. Maybe you can't read...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2005, 03:01:02 PM »

Maybe you were thinking of another Mike Huckabee. I was thinking of the one that wants in-state tuition for illegals, raised taxes, and is all about government spending increases in every possible area (education, infastructure-- roads, technology, etc.).

The * indicates he is socially conservative. Maybe you can't read...

He's an extremist. Here he compares Democrats winning a couple of seats to the killing of 6 million jews and 6 million non jews.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/9/26/0759/34056
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #377 on: September 27, 2005, 03:06:15 PM »

"Well Ladies and Gentlemen, the reason you need to work hard in Polk County next year, the reason that it is important that you sign up to help candidates get elected who believe like you believe...is because you're the somebodys and you gotta do the something, because if you don't and I don't, who will? And if we don't do it now, when will it get done?"

That's the offending portion.

And for a Democrat to whine about the "Nazi" card is... well... like Ted Kennedy talking about drunk driving.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #378 on: September 27, 2005, 03:07:48 PM »

"Well Ladies and Gentlemen, the reason you need to work hard in Polk County next year, the reason that it is important that you sign up to help candidates get elected who believe like you believe...is because you're the somebodys and you gotta do the something, because if you don't and I don't, who will? And if we don't do it now, when will it get done?"

That's the offending portion.

And for a Democrat to whine about the "Nazi" card is... well... like Ted Kennedy talking about drunk driving.

The fact that he'd been talking about the Holocaust for the previous 5 minutes, is rather important.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #379 on: September 27, 2005, 03:17:09 PM »

Only if you're a hyper-sensitive, rabid drooling Democrat hack.

Any rational person can see he was talking emotionally about his trip and his daughter's simple question, which then segued into his wrap-up pep talk. If you want to be technical about it, the reference he makes in that paragraph is to his daughter, not the Holocaust, though her question was inspired by the memorial.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #380 on: September 27, 2005, 04:48:02 PM »

The GOP manages to keep its fundamentalist and libertarian wings together (I don't know how)

then you're as clueless as the Democrats are.  Red's a good color for you.

still, it's a nice rant.  I like to read such visceral posts.  Like to make 'em too.  Wink

It was a rather tongue-in-cheek Wink comment on my part that one. Still, something of political conundrum on social issues anyway

Dave

seriously, dave, I think many in the mainstream press are overblowing this.  you only read what posters here write.  but if you lived here (maybe you've visited the USA recently?) you'd see that all our major news outlets run about one, maybe two, story at a time.  Three max.  Day in, day out.  Now, at the moment, the weather seems to trump everything, which, all things considered, is at least useful information.  But on slow news days, we get talking head after talking head endlessly prattling on about this "hot button social issue" or another.  Morning, noon, and night.  And if you say something enough times, it's true.  Lot's of these guys that post here are like 20, 19, or even younger.  they can't imagine, or conceive of what it must be like looking for a job, paying rent, choosing stocks and bonds, deciding whether an ache really merits a medical appointment, or worrying about one's child's education.  and, given that they hear constantly about things like "gay marriage" on the TV all day every day, it becomes front and center for them.  Anyway, I am absolutely convinced that in order for the Democrats to be competitive they cannot attempt to steal the GOP thunder on GOP-dominant issues (terrorism, military, nationalism), nor can they hope to win on "social" issues.  Mostly because those issues are hardly as relevant as their party leaders are having them believe, but also because for that fraction of voters for whom the are important, democrats are on the "wrong side" of those issues.  Democrats do have a million ways to win though.  A million legitimate chances to attack the republicans (hardly "conservative" anymore, don't you think?  a billion here, a billion there, pretty soon our great-great grandchildren are sold as slaves to china just to keep us solvent).  I'm just so amazed that they don't take issues, real issues, important issues, and play them correctly.  Instead, they're doing this whole "social issue" and geopolotical strategy thing.  What works for the GOP may not work for the Democrats.  There's no a priori reason to think it should, given the fact that nationalists are by nature won over by different means than the less nationalistic types.  I'm less a loyalist than one who really enjoys the game.  And a fairly matched set of teams always makes for a more exciting game than, say, the jamaican bobsled team versus the norweigans.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #381 on: June 20, 2007, 08:12:56 PM »

LOL
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #382 on: June 20, 2007, 08:29:43 PM »

Are you actually, or are you a filthy liar?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #383 on: June 20, 2007, 08:30:34 PM »

I literally did laugh at AuH2O's nonsense.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #384 on: June 20, 2007, 09:53:49 PM »

Funny thread.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #385 on: June 21, 2007, 10:54:49 AM »

Remember all the Republicans talking about how this thread made them happy and proof the "loony left" had taken over the Democrats and how they could never regain power?

Oh well.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies