Why are the boomers considered a more liberal generation then the WW2 gen (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:35:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why are the boomers considered a more liberal generation then the WW2 gen (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why are the boomers considered a more liberal generation then the WW2 gen  (Read 946 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: June 14, 2017, 01:25:14 PM »

LIke I have heard that from so many people, and that is just un-true cause when the GI generation controlled politics from the late 1930s- early 1980s the Democrats dominated american politics at nearly every level , and as soon as the Boomers started to have a large influence the GOP and economic conservatism made a comeback.

I get that the 1960s were way more liberal then the 1950s , but the people who controlled American politics in the 1960s was the GI generation and not the boomers.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 04:58:04 PM »

Indeed, the primary reason that the 1960s were 'more liberal' than the 1950s is simply that the GI Generation was coming into power and displacing the 'Lost Generation' of Truman and Eisenhower, which was always fairly reactive collectively, if you put much stock in such things.

Voting power wise the GI generation was already dominant by the late 40s, and Truman was a pretty liberal president as well . The 1950s were conservative (except on economic issues ) because of Red Scare , other then that the 1950s weren't that conservative .

In fact the 1950s were more liberal then the 1980s ,2000s and in many ways the 1990s as well.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »

It's just a perception issue. I frequently see the 60s and all the protests/movements mentioned, but overall I think way too much importance is placed on that. If that is how even half the Boomer generation thought, I do not think we would have had the drug war, no?

The reality is, a majority of the Boomer generation has always leaned towards Republicans (overall)

And the boomer generation revived conservativism after it had been dead since the early 1930s.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies