WaPo: Mueller now investigating whether Trump obstructed justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:07:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Mueller now investigating whether Trump obstructed justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: WaPo: Mueller now investigating whether Trump obstructed justice  (Read 6824 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2017, 12:23:25 PM »

Political witch hunts never end with the witch hunters saying "well we have to admit it, we've got nothing". They would just drag it out and have it continue and continue until they got something. They've been forced to admit that they had nothing on Trump so their next line is "We've been forced to admit we had nothing on Trump. However the process by which we were forced to admit that is 'obstruction' so Catch - 22 we've now got something on him again"

This investigation is going to take a long time, which is not uncommon for a federal case as complex and far-reaching as the Russia scandal. You guys can bang on your drums all you want crying about how "it's been so long and there is no evidence!" but it means little except that you're impatient in wanting to discredit any and all negative accusations against your savior.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2017, 12:26:54 PM »

Political witch hunts never end with the witch hunters saying "well we have to admit it, we've got nothing". They would just drag it out and have it continue and continue until they got something. They've been forced to admit that they had nothing on Trump so their next line is "We've been forced to admit we had nothing on Trump. However the process by which we were forced to admit that is 'obstruction' so Catch - 22 we've now got something on him again"

This investigation is going to take a long time, which is not uncommon for a federal case as complex and far-reaching as the Russia scandal. You guys can bang on your drums all you want crying about how "it's been so long and there is no evidence!" but it means little except that you're impatient in wanting to discredit any and all negative accusations against your savior.

And the reverse is true.  The hang em high crowd is no better.

[edit] Hey, I did a "both sides do it" line.....unknowingly!  Smiley
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2017, 12:34:35 PM »

[edit] Hey, I did a "both sides do it" line.....unknowingly!  Smiley

Actually I suppose that is true - we are all impatient. However my point still stands about the lengthiness of federal investigations spanning multiple countries and involving a foreign power like Russia, let alone our own executive administration. It's a little bit ridiculous for people to expect this investigation to be wrapped up in the same span of time as an two-bit local drug dealing case.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »

[edit] Hey, I did a "both sides do it" line.....unknowingly!  Smiley

Dude you're the one claiming Trumpy is innocent. Let's not pretend you're not making your own judgments. I've also said this investigation will go into 2019 and the preponderance of what we know at this point points towards some guilt.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2017, 01:46:51 PM »

Actually I suppose that is true - we are all impatient. However my point still stands about the lengthiness of federal investigations spanning multiple countries and involving a foreign power like Russia, let alone our own executive administration. It's a little bit ridiculous for people to expect this investigation to be wrapped up in the same span of time as an two-bit local drug dealing case.

Of course!  I'm in no hurry, I'm busy washing my linens.
EnglishPete

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

#LockHimUp! #LockHimUp! #LockHimUp! #LockHimUp! *times infinity*

Orange really is the new black, in more ways than one now. The Fear Leader is already tweeting about it. Sad!

How many more days until Mueller is fired?
No point is firing Mueller is there? he'll just get replaced by some other witchfinder general

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  8h8 hours ago
 They made up a phony collusion with the Russians story, found zero proof, so now they go for obstruction of justice on the phony story. Nice

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump  7h7 hours ago
 You are witnessing the single greatest WITCH HUNT in American political history - led by some very bad and conflicted people!  #MAGA

Mueller responds to the charge that he is involved in a witch hunt

GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »

Very true.  Watergate took over a year, and that was exceptionally fast for this kind of investigation.

Although it amuses that a pro-Trump friend of mine kept telling me last year that if I voted for Clinton, the President would be under investigation almost from the beginning.  He was right!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2017, 03:23:51 PM »

Mueller responds to the charge that he is involved in a witch hunt

There is no need for Mueller to respond to "witch hunt" malarkey accusations.
He is a professional mature adult who has an important task assigned to him. Very busy man.

On the other hand, we can leave the "witch hunt" childish games to say ..... a narcissistic orange-haired clown, for example. Someone who hides out at a golf course every weekend, who has no serious matters to contend with on a daily basis.
Each task assigned, as described above, to each person fits perfectly ..... doesn't it ?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2017, 03:38:20 PM »

Good reference EnglishPete!
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2017, 04:05:38 PM »

The use of the rhetoric of the 'witch hunt' by the Party of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell is very strange indeed, not the least given that a not-insignificant number of Republican voters believe that Harry Potter is an actual grimoire.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »

LOL @ "witch hunt." Trumpy brought this all on himself. He could have won the original and disciplined way but he couldn't keep it together, so of course he invited all this on himself. A disciplined campaign for the White House would have minded their p's and q's and had a disciplined operation from day 1. Let's not pretend his enemies did this. Most of this is Trump's own doing

I don't know why you insist on following a man who is his own greatest enemy and perpetrates his own failings, over and over again.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2017, 05:20:18 PM »

http://www.start.umd.edu/gtd/search/Results.aspx?chart=attack&casualties_type=&casualties_max=&country=217

Pence lawyering up.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2017, 05:26:22 PM »

Clearly the act of an innocent man
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »

The thing is this - Trump scored a massive own goal on himself. It's unlikely there's a smoking gun of Russian collusion, but obstruction is a tough rap to beat.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »

The thing is this - Trump scored a massive own goal on himself. It's unlikely there's a smoking gun of Russian collusion, but obstruction is a tough rap to beat.

So it could just be he just couldn't handle it...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 06:56:06 PM »

I think this is likely true.  I doubt that Trump personally colluded with the Russians (let's be honest -- he doesn't even collude with his own staff), although it's conceivable that some of his associates did.  But the obstruction part seems likely based on what we've seen so far.

This is yet another parallel with Watergate.  It's never been established whether Nixon ordered or even knew about the burglary ahead of time.  It was the coverup that got him.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 07:11:51 PM »

Looking into Jared's business deals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/special-counsel-is-investigating-jared-kushners-business-dealings/2017/06/15/5d9a32c6-51f2-11e7-91eb-9611861a988f_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.a6cd58a4d103

lol, everyone in this administration is ****ed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »

I'm just wondering how long it will take for people to start rolling over on each other. It may not even take a grand conspiracy involving everyone, but rather Mueller stumbling upon unrelated crimes, which push the individual(s) to help Mueller piece together the Russia angle.

Mueller's mandate involves investigating anything that may arise during the course of the investigation, so what if Trump ends up getting in trouble for things in his recent past? Maybe Kushner? Does anyone believe these people are model citizens?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 07:49:16 PM »

... so what if Trump ends up getting in trouble for things in his recent past? Maybe Kushner? Does anyone believe these people are model citizens?

Believe it or not .... some people actually do.
Ugggg.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2017, 08:00:35 PM »

So if Trump get's indicted and then convicted, would he be forced to resign because he would have a criminal record and go to jail?

Can he get removed from office without actually being impeached by congress?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2017, 08:12:37 PM »

So if Trump get's indicted and then convicted, would he be forced to resign because he would have a criminal record and go to jail?

Can he get removed from office without actually being impeached by congress?

2nd one first: there is one other unlikely path besides impeachment.  The 25th Amendment provides a mechanism for the VP and Cabinet to declare the President incapable of carrying out his duties.  This would be complicated and messy.  Otherwise, the only method is impeachment (by a majority of the House) and then conviction (by 2/3 of the Senate). 

1st one: it's generally accepted that a sitting President can't be indicted or prosecuted until after he leaves office (although this isn't completely established; it would take the Supreme Court to definitely settle it).
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »

I think this is likely true.  I doubt that Trump personally colluded with the Russians (let's be honest -- he doesn't even collude with his own staff), although it's conceivable that some of his associates did.  But the obstruction part seems likely based on what we've seen so far.

I doubt that Trump & Co actually sat down and  plotted out how to win the election with the active support of Russian intelligence. But I find it perfectly believable that Trump would, unprompted, say what he thought they wanted to hear, without considering any ramifications. I also would totally fail to be surprised if some of his older financial dealings with Russian interests were of very questionable legality.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »

Trump refusing to run for a second term as the GOP implodes is highly probable.

I've been saying this for months. It's in everyone's best interests, and a necessity for Trumpism to survive as the replacement of Reaganism.

IF Trump implodes, the GOP will spend the next couple of decades in the wilderness searching for an identity...it won't become the party of Trumpism

The "party of trumpism" was a fad and is already dead.
It didn't even last 1 full year.
Many who barely supported pulling the lever for him in November are already deeply regretting their decision.
Men wearing high heel shoes in the 70's lasted much longer than trump.
PS: Ask KingSweden to show you those disco-era pictures he has of him in such shoes.

The what that I have of who?

LMAO.
I was attempting to tease you. Didn't even know if you would catch/see my comment. LOL.
I don't know your age, but I was trying to be funny by characterizing you as a young dude in the 70's who wore high-heeled shoes to the disco dancing floor in the nightclubs of the past.
(Which was very common for males to do back then. It "was in." It was the style of that age. Like those huge bell-bottom pants.)
And was hoping you would share photos of such a thing, with us.
8-)

Ah haha ok

Unfortunately for your joke I'm 26
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2017, 08:45:44 AM »

"The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion."

Also, "Pence’s lawyer is the godfather of Comey’s daughter. That’s ‘the swamp’ for you."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/06/16/pences-lawyer-is-the-godfather-of-comeys-daughter-thats-the-swamp-for-you/
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2017, 09:02:13 AM »

What if Mueller determines Trump did obstruct justice? It all still has to go through the Republican congress right?

If they chose not to act on Mueller's conclusion, how do yo guys think the country would react?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies