WaPo: Mueller now investigating whether Trump obstructed justice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:05:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  WaPo: Mueller now investigating whether Trump obstructed justice
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: WaPo: Mueller now investigating whether Trump obstructed justice  (Read 6759 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2017, 03:17:08 AM »

Hope for his sake EnglishPete is better at analysing US politics than he is UK

My best guess

Conservatives 400 (inc Speaker)
Labour 175
SNP 47
Lib Dem 6
Plaid 4
Green 0
UKIP 0

NI Parties 18
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2017, 08:37:11 AM »

From Twitter:
"Happy birthday - James Comey

LOL.
OMG .... I forgot, today (June 14th) is trump's birthday.

I should have put the flag up at half-mast in recognition of the great tragedy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2017, 08:37:59 AM »

Trump decided to fire Comey. However before going ahead and telling people his decision he decided it would be sensible to get a second opinion.

Yes, that sounds like how Trump makes decisions. He takes the time to reason things through, let his anger cool, and seek out alternative perspectives before committing to a course of action.
EnglishPete

« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »

Notice Peter cares more about Trump "winning" on this then the truth

The truth is that this is a partisan witch hunt. That much should be obvious and yet for many millions of people it isn't obvious because for many millions of people they still have a certain level of unearned faith in the institutions of Washington DC and the establishment media. That's why Trump and his supporters and surrogates have to keep explaining this and repeating it, to get the message across. Its not enough to have truth on your side, you have to communicate that truth effectively.

How can you seriously believe the talking point that this is just a silly witch hunt?

Because all the evidence points in the direction of it being a partisan which hunt. I came to that conclusion a long time ago, long before Trump or anyone else ever suggested the term 'witch hunt'.

Its an observable fact that both the Washington establishment and the liberal media have been ultra hostile to Trump since the Primaries. When there was the hack/leak of the emails form the DNC at the time of the convention and the Dems came out with the story that it was the Russians who hacked them I found the story a little suspect. Later when I learned that their 'evidence' for this conclusion had been a report from a company called 'Crowdstrike' whose methods were suspect and whose evidence for their conclusions had been completely discredited and when I also learned that the FBI had made no effort to examine the DNC servers themselves it becomes pretty obvious that this 'the Russians interfered in the election' is a cooked up story.

Then during the election people started asking Trump about the alleged 'Russian interference' and making suggestions that Trump might be linked with it or that there might be a 'quid pro quo' despite there being no evidence of any collusion well its obvious at that point that that you've got not only a cooked up excuse but a cooked up partisan smear.

Then when, as soon as Trump won the election, the very next day, people started demanding an investigation of Trump and saying he should be impeached. Well from that day onwards its been completely obvious to me (and it should be obvious to everyone else if they took their blinkers off) that this is and has been a partisan witch hunt. Everything that's happened since then has provided more and more evidence that its a partisan witch hunt and I find it very difficult to see how people can come to any other conclusion without wearing some pretty heavy political blinkers.

In giving some credit to EnglishPete...he may very well be right that the whole Russia thing is a farce. Democrats really ought to have a plan if it turns out that they completely wasted their entire time investigating nothing. I mean...imagine in if Dems win the house in 2018 and get Trump's tax returns and they reveal nothing. The Dems will look like dopes.

Oh they're not wasting their time investigating nothing. They've already investigated and found nothing and jumped up and down washing "we got something, impeachment". You seem to imagine a world where the investigation will end and there will either be an overwhelming consensus that Trump is guilty based on the evidence or there will be an overwhelming consensus that it is a witch hunt. There is no evidence that either will happen.

I quoted to you the recent poll above that said that 47% of the US public thought this investigation is a witch hunt and 48% disagreed. Your statement I'm replying to here assumes that at the end of the process some unambiguous, clear and irrefutable evidence will emerge which will cause public opinion to come down overwhelmingly on one side or the others. But everything that's happened so far shows that people interpret the evidence through the light of their prior ideological and epistemological glasses and that no such unambiguous evidence can therefore exist.

When the investigation process ends public opinion will be as divided on the matter of Trump's guilt as it is now. Impeachment will then come down to a vote along party lines in the House and Senate. Now you might say 'well that wasn't the case with Nixon, plenty of Republicans saw the light and turned against Nixon'. The difference is that back then the liberal media had a near monopoly and were able to build national consensuses on various issues in a way that is no longer possible. Now we have a fragmented media market. Now Republican read Republican news and Dems read Dem news. Its a different world
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2017, 03:57:01 PM »

Petition to force Proud Moderate and English Pete to put each other on ignore.

× Crumpets
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »

Get back on topic or I will lock the thread.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »

Fair enough, but let's please all just agree to drop the arguing. It's not like anyone involved the argument is going to be convinced or "shut down." It's just going to get this thread locked, which would be a shame, because that's happened to a number of Trump-Russia scandal-related threads already.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2017, 05:47:09 PM »

That is probably what I would do but it's not my board. On top of that, deleting said posts might be worth it if that meant the thread would continue without another multi-page argument, which is far from guaranteed. In these particular threads, arguing is like gravity. You can fight it for a while, but eventually it always wins out.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies