AL-GOV: Former Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb announces candidacy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:02:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-GOV: Former Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb announces candidacy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: AL-GOV: Former Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb announces candidacy  (Read 3468 times)
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2017, 09:03:57 AM »

Might Moore run for Governor if he fails to make it to the Senate?
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:38 AM »

Might Moore run for Governor if he fails to make it to the Senate?
Possibly. Though I don't see how he makes it past a primary runoff in either the Senate of Governor primaries.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2017, 01:55:49 PM »

An excellent candidate, though still an uphill battle that will likely require a perfect storm to win.

Cobb will probably clear the field, to the chagrin of Walt Maddox who likely passed over the Senate special for this race.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »

Waiting for more inspiring ads
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2017, 03:40:33 AM »

Likely R, but this could become competitive if Ivey gets primaried by some loon like Moore, or if the ghost of Bentley's corruption haunts her into the GE should she win the primary.

It's Alabama. Safe R.

MD was safe D and LA was safe R until they weren't.

My thoughts exactly. Note that both of the seats you mentioned switched hands largely thanks to terrible Democratic and Republican candidates, respectively. I wouldn't put money on Cobb winning this, but there's a non-negligible chance of a walking disaster like Moore or Dawson winning the GOP primary.
Alabama is much less inelastic than MD and LA, even on the state level. Until I see otherwise, this looks like Safe R. Still, Cobb could win in a perfect storm, but the GOP candidate would have to be pretty bad.

More than LA? Not much.

An excellent candidate, though still an uphill battle that will likely require a perfect storm to win.

Cobb will probably clear the field, to the chagrin of Walt Maddox who likely passed over the Senate special for this race.

Has the filing deadline for the special passed?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2017, 11:52:52 AM »

That's an amazing ad, especially for Alabama. I'm a city kid now, but my parents are not and this reminds of their quaint churches, similar to those that fill the  Alabama countryside.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »

That's an amazing ad, especially for Alabama. I'm a city kid now, but my parents are not and this reminds of their quaint churches, similar to those that fill the  Alabama countryside.

Yeah. Being "soft on crime" is pretty damning in Alabama as well, so this ad makes Bell Cobb seem like both the law and order candidate and a good ol' girl.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »

I love Alabama ads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhqbT3OiPLs - Jim Folsom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8g7TNsWz8w - Troy King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBthR9JIZr8 - Tim James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk1DudmZgY0 - Roy Moore

And I'm sure you all know Dale P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7fhIO7DG0
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 12:16:38 PM »

It definitely reads as schmaltzy, but as I get older and travel the country more I'm swiftly realizing that my hatred of schmaltz is definitely an east-coast elite thing.

An updated version of this ad would probably be people from her church talking about how nice she is plus people who came before her talking about how fair she is plus like one or two Regular Alabamians talking about her policy.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »

Nothing beats the insane, colorful sleaziness of Louisiana, but man, Alabama politics is wild. That Tim James ad is a classic. I remember all the parody videos of it that popped up that summer
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »

Nothing beats the insane, colorful sleaziness of Louisiana, but man, Alabama politics is wild. That Tim James ad is a classic. I remember all the parody videos of it that popped up that summer

How can you forget this attack as against Bradley Byrne?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rlAjTQO11V0
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2017, 04:47:58 PM »

Walt Maddox is in. There is actually going to be a competitive Democratic gubernatorial primary in Alabama.
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2017, 05:44:52 PM »

Walt Maddox is in. There is actually going to be a competitive Democratic gubernatorial primary in Alabama.

Are they seeing a close race? I don't get why the few people on Alabama's dem bench are getting in.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »

Are they seeing a close race? I don't get why the few people on Alabama's dem bench are getting in.
Maybe they seriously think Roy Moore will get the R nomination. That + the AL GOP's recent scandals could be enough to make an opening for Democrats.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2017, 05:51:45 PM »

Gov is easier than Senate I'd think
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 06:26:59 PM »

Wow! I prefer Maddox to Cobb, but if Richard Lindsey runs, I would prefer him.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 06:40:55 PM »

With Dawson and potentially Moore running, they have an actual opening. I'm just glad they're finally making an actual effort.
JMT

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 08:13:19 PM »

Maybe they seriously think Roy Moore will get the R nomination. That + the AL GOP's recent scandals could be enough to make an opening for Democrats.

So are you saying you think Roy Moore may lose the Senate GOP primary in 2017, then run for Governor in 2018 and win the nomination for that office?
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:30 PM »

Richard Lindsey lives about 10 minutes from me and he's a family friend. Trust me, he's not running
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »

Richard Lindsey lives about 10 minutes from me and he's a family friend. Trust me, he's not running
I really, really wish he would. He and Arthur Orr are my two favorite people in the Alabama state legislature, and either one of them would make a fine Governor.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2017, 09:14:29 PM »

I really, really wish he would. He and Arthur Orr are my two favorite people in the Alabama state legislature, and either one of them would make a fine Governor.
I totally agree. Richard is a great guy and I would love to have him as governor.
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2017, 09:28:33 PM »

So are you saying you think Roy Moore may lose the Senate GOP primary in 2017, then run for Governor in 2018 and win the nomination for that office?
It's a possibility. He seems content to continue his career, even though he's politically toxic.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2017, 10:35:52 PM »

AL will not vote Democratic in any statewide race. Whites have gone from 70-75% Republican to 85-90% Republican since Obama.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2017, 12:12:47 AM »

AL will not vote Democratic in any statewide race. Whites have gone from 70-75% Republican to 85-90% Republican since Obama.

Louisiana is not too different from Alabama demograhpically and they voted for a Democrat for Governor while Obama was still in office. A little different circumstances, sure, but there's a non-zero chance of a Democrat winning the gubernatorial race there with all that's transpired down there. You wouldn't see so many Democrats eager to run if they didn't see polling indicating otherwise

A decent % of LA whites are Catholic, very different from the evangelical protestants of the other deep southern states. They are not as devoutly GOP.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2017, 02:46:41 AM »

Louisiana is not too different from Alabama demograhpically and they voted for a Democrat for Governor while Obama was still in office. A little different circumstances, sure, but there's a non-zero chance of a Democrat winning the gubernatorial race there with all that's transpired down there. You wouldn't see so many Democrats eager to run if they didn't see polling indicating otherwise

A decent % of LA whites are Catholic, very different from the evangelical protestants of the other deep southern states. They are not as devoutly GOP.

There's a 22-point difference between the LA-GOV statewide margin and the LA-GOV margin in counties that are less black and/or less Catholic than the state as a whole: Edwards won statewide by 12, but Vitter won these counties by 10.

Comparing the less black/Catholic part of the state to the more black/Catholic part, it's a 30-point difference (Edwards wins by 20 in the latter group).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies