More likely?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:01:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More likely?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: see below Smiley
Democrats nominate pro-life candidate

Republicans nominate pro-choice candidate

Unsure/ equally unlikely

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: More likely?  (Read 795 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2017, 05:18:59 AM »

What is more likely? Democrats nominate a pro-life candidate for president or vice president or Republicans do the same with a pro-choice politican? Well?
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »

I can see the GOP nominating someone who is cautiously pro-choice. That is, they oppose overturning Roe or making abortion illegal, but they sill support waiting periods, parental consent, ultrasound requirements, etc., and still express a general desire to limit abortions with particularly strong condemnation of sex-selection abortions (female infanticide). I can also see the GOP platform reflecting these views, which would be considered "pro-life" by pro-life Millennials (though not by staunch pro-lifers).

Such a Republican would also put in a good word for pro-life crisis pregnancy centers. The pro-choice (pro-abortion?) activists would probably not be satisfied, but at least a major issue of theirs-- that the GOP would force women to have dangerous, back-alley abortions-- would be neutralized.

As for pro-life Democrats: I believe it is a complete lost cause. Such a Democrat would have to repudiate nearly a half century of evolution in Democratic thought, going back to McGovern. While there are still some pro-life Dems out there, there are not enough to nominate a candidate in my opinion.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »

I can see the GOP nominating someone who is cautiously pro-choice. That is, they oppose overturning Roe or making abortion illegal, but they sill support waiting periods, parental consent, ultrasound requirements, etc., and still express a general desire to limit abortions with particularly strong condemnation of sex-selection abortions (female infanticide). I can also see the GOP platform reflecting these views, which would be considered "pro-life" by pro-life Millennials (though not by staunch pro-lifers).

Such a Republican would also put in a good word for pro-life crisis pregnancy centers. The pro-choice (pro-abortion?) activists would probably not be satisfied, but at least a major issue of theirs-- that the GOP would force women to have dangerous, back-alley abortions-- would be neutralized.

As for pro-life Democrats: I believe it is a complete lost cause. Such a Democrat would have to repudiate nearly a half century of evolution in Democratic thought, going back to McGovern. While there are still some pro-life Dems out there, there are not enough to nominate a candidate in my opinion.

A pro-life Democrat would look a lot like a Pro-choice Republican except for maybe Roe. Maybe the Democrat would sign a post-Roe personhood law if it had  a reasonable number of justifiable circumstances.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 10:44:37 AM »

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/08/on-abortion-persistent-divides-between-and-within-the-two-parties-2/

According to that link, this is how the views "roughly" break down between the parties (I paraphrased):

Republicans: 59% Pro-Life, 38% Pro-Choice
  - Conservative: 68% Pro-Life, 30% Pro-Choice
  - Moderate/Liberal: 54% Pro-Life, 41% Pro-Life

Democrats: 70% Pro-Choice, 28% Pro-Life
  - Liberal: 84% Pro-Choice, 14% Pro-Life
  - Moderate/Conservative: 60% Pro-Choice, 38% Pro-Life

Those numbers seem a bit high for "Pro-Choice," but it still would give the impression there are significantly more pro-choice Republicans than pro-life Democrats, so I'll go with that one.

EDIT: I'd also GUESS (no idea) that most pro-choice Republicans are younger and most pro-life Democrats are older, so that's another reason to believe the pro-choice Repub is more likely.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2017, 12:38:39 PM by mathstatman »

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/04/08/on-abortion-persistent-divides-between-and-within-the-two-parties-2/

According to that link, this is how the views "roughly" break down between the parties (I paraphrased):

Republicans: 59% Pro-Life, 38% Pro-Choice
  - Conservative: 68% Pro-Life, 30% Pro-Choice
  - Moderate/Liberal: 54% Pro-Life, 41% Pro-Life

Democrats: 70% Pro-Choice, 28% Pro-Life
  - Liberal: 84% Pro-Choice, 14% Pro-Life
  - Moderate/Conservative: 60% Pro-Choice, 38% Pro-Life

Those numbers seem a bit high for "Pro-Choice," but it still would give the impression there are significantly more pro-choice Republicans than pro-life Democrats, so I'll go with that one.

EDIT: I'd also GUESS (no idea) that most pro-choice Republicans are younger and most pro-life Democrats are older, so that's another reason to believe the pro-choice Repub is more likely.
Besides Joe Manchin, are any pro-life Dems prominent in public life?

Ted Kennedy, Jesse Jackson, Al Gore, and Dick Gephardt were all once pro-life, and changed. So the Dem momentum is clearly in the pro-choice direction.

For the Dems to nominate a pro-lifer is about as likely as them nominating one who opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (which 21 Democratic Senators voted against).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »

Isn't Bob Casey, Jr. pro-life?  Other than that, though, I'm not sure.  Even culturally conservative Democrats of the past 10-15 years tend to *avoid* abortion rather than be openly pro-life.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 01:15:02 PM »

John Bel Edwards is pro life, but he's Governor of Louisiana.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »

Isn't Bob Casey, Jr. pro-life?  Other than that, though, I'm not sure.  Even culturally conservative Democrats of the past 10-15 years tend to *avoid* abortion rather than be openly pro-life.

Casey definitely isn't, and even Manchin voted to fund Planned Parenthood recently (another reason why this "Manchin is just as conservative as Capito!" nonsense needs to stop).

Pro-life Democrats are not really a thing these days.

Casey is as pro-life as Kaine is. That is, officially they are, but in reality they aren't.

Pro-Life Democrats don't win anymore. All of whom they appeal to are Republicans.
Hoosier_Nick
Nicholas_Roberts
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -7.22

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 04:15:51 PM »

Donnelly opposes abortion besides for in cases of rape, incest or the life of the mother. Also, Indiana's gubernatorial candidate in '12 and '16, John Gregg, was pro-life with the same exceptions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies