More likely? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:48:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  More likely? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: see below Smiley
Democrats nominate pro-life candidate

Republicans nominate pro-choice candidate

Unsure/ equally unlikely

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: More likely?  (Read 808 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 15, 2017, 10:25:30 AM »

I can see the GOP nominating someone who is cautiously pro-choice. That is, they oppose overturning Roe or making abortion illegal, but they sill support waiting periods, parental consent, ultrasound requirements, etc., and still express a general desire to limit abortions with particularly strong condemnation of sex-selection abortions (female infanticide). I can also see the GOP platform reflecting these views, which would be considered "pro-life" by pro-life Millennials (though not by staunch pro-lifers).

Such a Republican would also put in a good word for pro-life crisis pregnancy centers. The pro-choice (pro-abortion?) activists would probably not be satisfied, but at least a major issue of theirs-- that the GOP would force women to have dangerous, back-alley abortions-- would be neutralized.

As for pro-life Democrats: I believe it is a complete lost cause. Such a Democrat would have to repudiate nearly a half century of evolution in Democratic thought, going back to McGovern. While there are still some pro-life Dems out there, there are not enough to nominate a candidate in my opinion.

A pro-life Democrat would look a lot like a Pro-choice Republican except for maybe Roe. Maybe the Democrat would sign a post-Roe personhood law if it had  a reasonable number of justifiable circumstances.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 02:49:24 PM »

Isn't Bob Casey, Jr. pro-life?  Other than that, though, I'm not sure.  Even culturally conservative Democrats of the past 10-15 years tend to *avoid* abortion rather than be openly pro-life.

Casey definitely isn't, and even Manchin voted to fund Planned Parenthood recently (another reason why this "Manchin is just as conservative as Capito!" nonsense needs to stop).

Pro-life Democrats are not really a thing these days.

Casey is as pro-life as Kaine is. That is, officially they are, but in reality they aren't.

Pro-Life Democrats don't win anymore. All of whom they appeal to are Republicans.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies