NJ-SEN: Only 31% believe Menendez deserves reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:28:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NJ-SEN: Only 31% believe Menendez deserves reelection
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NJ-SEN: Only 31% believe Menendez deserves reelection  (Read 2060 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 01:03:08 PM »

Mendenez is a Cuban-American, he's needed with the Democratic leadership in the Senate to attrack Latino voters. He's probably not going anywhere, anytime soon. Just like Ige of Hawaii.

Attract how? It's not like he is some national figure which Hispanic voters across the country are beginning to put pictures of above their fireplaces. He's just another corrupt politician.
hopper
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »

Doesn't New Jersey have a long history of reelecting people they don't like?
Um no not really.
hopper
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »

As a New Jerseyite, just because people dont think he deserves re-election doesnt mean they wont vote for him.  Literally the only person I can see taking Menendez down in the primary is Richard Codey. A leftwinger from the Bernie wing needs to be able to win over working class minorities from Menendez, something I dont think will happen. Anybody thinking Menendez is as weak as Lautenberg would probably have a point if there was another Cory Booker, but theres not.
Yeah a primary challenger would really have to run up huge margins in Southern Jersey probably just to win against Menendez and I don't think it could be done.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2017, 12:07:35 AM »

I think any well-known Democrat who is brave enough to run against Menendez will win the primary and (obviously) the general. Personally I'd like Josh Gottheimer to run against him, but he's a freshman congressman in a Republican district, so I think he's trying to anchor himself for reelection.

If anyone but Trump was POTUS, and Tom Kean decided to run, I could see the state electing its first Republican Senator in decades. I don't see Kean running this year, though.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2017, 01:13:43 AM »

I wonder if progressives will try half as hard here as they will against Feinstein.

It's harder, NJ has more AA Dem primary voters & Bernie won 36% of the votes vs 46% in CA (& that after the race was over & voters were disillusioned). CA is much more pro-Bernie & supportive of progressive movements than NJ.

I think Dems can do better even from the Hillary wing, there has to be better center-left mildly progressive politicians than the corrupt Menendez !
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2017, 01:57:44 AM »

I still think Menendez will persevere against the haters but if not Gottheimer would be good.

kyc0705

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 08:08:31 AM »

Alex Law as a primary challenge, maybe?

So he can lose 2:1 again? I live in the district he ran in, and I barely remember him.
InheritTheWind

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

Doesn't New Jersey have a long history of reelecting people they don't like?

I know they kept on re-electing Frank Lautenberg to the Senate despite him never having great approval ratings, but besides that I'm not too sure.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2017, 02:37:11 PM »

I think any well-known Democrat who is brave enough to run against Menendez will win the primary and (obviously) the general. Personally I'd like Josh Gottheimer to run against him, but he's a freshman congressman in a Republican district, so I think he's trying to anchor himself for reelection.

If anyone but Trump was POTUS, and Tom Kean decided to run, I could see the state electing its first Republican Senator in decades. I don't see Kean running this year, though.

For what it's worth, Jeffrey Chiesa was a Republican senator from New Jersey in 2013. He was appointed by Chris Christie though.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2017, 07:35:53 PM »

Camille Andrews, Richard Codey, Lisa Jackson, or Steven Fulop would all be much better.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2017, 07:55:48 PM »

What is the current status of the criminal charges against him?
Cynthia
ueutyi
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -3.63

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »

What is the current status of the criminal charges against him?
Court of Appeals refuses to throw his charges out, but he's not convicted yet.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies