Gun Rights
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:54:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Gun Rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gun Rights  (Read 854 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2005, 11:57:41 AM »

I request the introduction of the following legislation:

Protection of the Right to Bear Arms Bill

Section One: Ownership of Firearms and Low-Potency Explosives
1. Any federal law prohibiting a category of persons from owning  firearms or low-potency explosives is hereby repealed, except as provided by clause 2 of this section.

2. A court of law may punish an individual convicted of a felony under federal law by suspending his right to bear firearms and low-potency explosives for a period of years, or for life.

Section Two: Liability
1. The manufacturer or seller of firearms or low-potency explosives shall not be held liable for death, physical injury, or property damage resulting from the use of said firearms or low-potency explosives.

2. Clause 1 of this section shall not apply where:

(a) Death, physical injury, or property damage is the direct result of a defect in the design or manufacture of the product;
(b) The seller negligently supplies the product to a person whom he knows, or reasonably should know, is likely to use said product in an unlawful manner involving unreasonable risk to others;
(c) The manufacturer or seller is an accessory to, or is otherwise unlawfully involved in, the relevant crime.

Section Three: Concealed Carry
1. This section shall only apply in the District of Columbia and in federal territories that do not form part of any Region.

2. Any citizen of Atlasia who has completed a safety course on gun use approved by the Department of Justice may apply for a license to conceal and carry a handgun on his person in public areas. The license shall be inoperative unless renewed every five years.

3. A license to conceal and carry a handgun issued by a Region to one of its citizens shall be valid in the District of Columbia and in federal territories, if the Region requires the licensee to complete a course on gun safety approved by the Department of Justice.

4. A license to conceal and carry a handgun issued to a person convicted of a felony under federal or regional law during the past five years, or to any person whose right to bear firearms and low-potency explosives has been suspended under section 1 of this act, shall be invalid.

5. The fee for the issuance or renewal of a license to conceal and carry a handgun shall be $50.

6. The concealed carry of handguns may be disallowed in government-owned buildings, including but not limited to prisons and court houses.

7. An individual may disallow the concealed carry of firearms on his own property.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 12:15:23 PM »

I did it for you.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 12:21:17 PM »

Thanks.

I feel that this bill affords necessary protections to gun rights, as secured by the Constitution. I urge all Senators to support this legislation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 01:20:32 PM »

I support this measure.

As a question, unlike in the real US, the Mideast Region did pass a concealed carry law that I would think would apply in DC, since DC is part of the Mideast Region.

For that reason, I am unsure if Section 3 is necessary.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 01:23:11 PM »

As a question, unlike in the real US, the Mideast Region did pass a concealed carry law that I would think would apply in DC, since DC is part of the Mideast Region.

I thought about that, but the Constitution grants the Senate the power to exercise "exclusive legislation, in all cases whatsoever, over ... the District of Columbia," so I would assume that this section is okay.

In any event, this bill also applies to federal territories.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 01:37:35 PM »

I thought about that, but the Constitution grants the Senate the power to exercise "exclusive legislation, in all cases whatsoever, over ... the District of Columbia," so I would assume that this section is okay.

In any event, this bill also applies to federal territories.

ok...

You know, that's an interesting conundrum.  Technically, the Mideast regulates laws concerning DC, but in reality they have no control over that part of the Region, as technically the federal government can overrule their laws on pretty much anything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies