Feinstein and Grassley introduce anti-drug bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Feinstein and Grassley introduce anti-drug bill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Feinstein and Grassley introduce anti-drug bill  (Read 1235 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:29:05 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The Cannabist

Critics say this bill could allow the Attorney General to unilaterally reschedule drugs, including non-lethal drugs like pot and kratom.  Would Feinstein really be this dumb to sign off on allowing the feds to come in and arrest people in her own state?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »

uggggg

Is there anybody left that likes Feinstein?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 05:34:33 PM »

I looooove DiFi.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »

Many are saying that this is a direct attack on kratom. However, some are saying that this is isn't necessarily the case due to kratom not being a "[synthetic] analogue", as it is a natural plant. As always with things like this, the ultimate definitions will decide whether it applies.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 05:37:02 PM »

This kind of action seemingly flies in the face of the kinds of reforms California has pursued at the state level. She represents CA as their Senator, and yet she is completely out of touch. She seriously needs to go. Either resign or get primaried. She represents an electorate that doesn't really exist anymore, and refuses to change.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 05:37:21 PM »

Only good thing I see here is excluding simple possession, which should be a case for all drug charges IMO
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:45:54 PM »

This kind of action seemingly flies in the face of the kinds of reforms California has pursued at the state level. She represents CA as their Senator, and yet she is completely out of touch. She seriously needs to go. Either resign or get primaried. She represents an electorate that doesn't really exist anymore, and refuses to change.

She's very pro prison complex. She even opposed Prop. 47, which reduced some sentences and passed with 60% of the vote despite Newt Gingrich being in favor.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_47,_Reduced_Penalties_for_Some_Crimes_Initiative_(2014)

But it would be very hard to defeat her because of top two.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 10:59:16 PM »

It begins... the knives are out for Dianne Feinstein. That's what this is really about, not drug policy.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:07:48 PM »

DiFi is the real Slay Queen! She's the real symbolic power girl we actually need.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 11:15:42 PM »

It begins... the knives are out for Dianne Feinstein. That's what this is really about, not drug policy.

oh boo hoo. The knives wouldn't be out for her if the bills she signed on to weren't crap.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 11:18:30 PM »

oh boo hoo. The knives wouldn't be out for her if the bills she signed on to weren't crap.

And you can make this generalization from one cherry picked bill?

https://twitter.com/SenFeinstein

What a conservative.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 11:20:17 PM »

These two mummies need to retire soon.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 11:56:33 PM »

If I liked Democrats 10 times more than I do, I'd still refuse to ever vote for her again.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2017, 12:02:09 AM »

What a conservative.
Beet people can be sh**t no matter their ideology.  I mean some could say that you are a prime example of that.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 01:23:26 AM »

Grassley?  whoa man, far out.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 02:41:05 AM »

She'll win re-election, there's really no other visble option running against her for the seat. I can't see her lasting one more term after that though.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 03:21:10 AM »

Do you have any real defense for this proposed bill?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 10:12:04 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2017, 10:19:43 AM by Maxwell »

What a conservative.

how about her voting record? She has a progressive punch lifetime score that is about the same as Bill Nelson - a pretty conservative Democrat from Florida, not CALIFORNIA. California can certainly do better.

Also how about this? https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 10:19:32 AM »

First Feinstein wants to re-investigate Clinton and now she's doubling down on the failed war on drugs...no wonder Democrats have a turnout problem
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2017, 10:25:57 AM »

What a conservative.

how about her voting record? She has a progressive punch lifetime score that is about the same as Bill Nelson - a pretty conservative Democrat from Florida, not CALIFORNIA. California can certainly do better.

Tom Carper's progressive punch score is even more conservative. Why shouldn't he be challenged?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »

What a conservative.

Tom Carper's progressive punch score is even more conservative. Why shouldn't he be challenged?

Who said he shouldn't be?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »

Feinstein has finally gotten to the point where her formerly mainstream Democratic views now render her as an oldschool Democrat from the byegone days. Happens to many when we live in a world of it's [current year] thinking.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2017, 10:57:41 AM »

Feinstein has finally gotten to the point where her formerly mainstream Democratic views now render her as an oldschool Democrat from the byegone days. Happens to many when we live in a world of it's [current year] thinking.

It's funny you should mention the bygone days.  Cannabis (which I know you hate) was introduced to Western medicine in the 1800s and used as a medical plant for thousands of years before.  During the late 1800s and early 1900s, cannabis was so widely used in North America that there were over a hundred papers published in Western medical literature recommending it for various ailments.  Doctors would prescribe it to their parents for a multitude of things ranging from anxiety and stress to epilepsy and rabies.  Eventually it was sold over the counter at your local pharmacy.  Those were the "bygone days," before prohibition, when it became a DANGEROUS PLANT with zero medicinal value.  But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the thousands of people (disproportionately people of color) who've been locked up these last several decades.  Over a plant.

Instead of whining about your reactionary narc friends having to get real jobs, or about how terrible the world is because it doesn't quite reflect your worldview anymore (which I've done and still do often - not a great way to enjoy life, I might add), try actually learning about the things you protest against.  You're a molecular biologist or something, right?  You're a smart guy.  Learn something today.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2017, 11:20:55 AM »

It's funny you should mention the bygone days.  Cannabis (which I know you hate) was introduced to Western medicine in the 1800s and used as a medical plant for thousands of years before.  During the late 1800s and early 1900s, cannabis was so widely used in North America that there were over a hundred papers published in Western medical literature recommending it for various ailments.  Doctors would prescribe it to their parents for a multitude of things ranging from anxiety and stress to epilepsy and rabies.  Eventually it was sold over the counter at your local pharmacy.  Those were the "bygone days," before prohibition, when it became a DANGEROUS PLANT with zero medicinal value.  But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the thousands of people (disproportionately people of color) who've been locked up these last several decades.  Over a plant.

Instead of whining about your reactionary narc friends having to get real jobs, or about how terrible the world is because it doesn't quite reflect your worldview anymore (which I've done and still do often - not a great way to enjoy life, I might add), try actually learning about the things you protest against.  You're a molecular biologist or something, right?  You're a smart guy.  Learn something today.

I am not arguing that canabis was never, ever throughout history used prior to the 1960s when society collapsed and began allowing it. Of course it was, as were all sorts of drugs. Such a view would be incredibly sophomoric. However, it is clear that there is something of a social change going on today with regards to the legality of its use, and Senator Feinstein is one of the people whose views have suddenly become less popular. That was my point.

Now, as to the merits of medical usage of canabis, I would agree it ought to be rescheduled as a substance with which medical testing can be done. However, the way medical marijuana is treated is simply not the way our modern medical system treats every other type of potential medicine. Due to its allure as a recreational substance there is a whole cottage industry of claims that pot cures every incurable disease imaginable, which is crackpot science. If, however, marijuana derivatives are normalized as part of medical treatment, my only expectation is the essential components would be isolated, purified, and regulated in the same fashion we expect of every other pharmaceutical product rather than sold in special pot shop. It is no secret that the way many states have gone about introducing medical marijuana has not exactly been designed to limit abuse, no?

As for your psychoanalysis, you're projecting a lot on to my thinking that simply isn't there. I will fully admit that I am displeased at much of the social change that has occurred over the last ten years (how's it working right now?), but that's about the extent of it. I recognize that sitting around moping about it does no one any good, including myself, so I've been spending more time in real life than on the internet. And real life is an undoubtedly better place than the internet in almost every imaginable way. That being, said, your post seems to psychoanalyze me as some sort of caricature of a college libertarian: "whining about your reactionary narc friends having to get real jobs". Really? Or some stupid bumbling hick. There's no need to posture like you're writing for some leftwing rag in which the world will line up applauding every strawmanned zinger.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »

I am not arguing that canabis was never, ever throughout history used prior to the 1960s when society collapsed and began allowing it.

lmao. How melodramatic. It's impossible to take you seriously.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies