Feinstein and Grassley introduce anti-drug bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:30:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Feinstein and Grassley introduce anti-drug bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Feinstein and Grassley introduce anti-drug bill  (Read 1245 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »

Feinstein has finally gotten to the point where her formerly mainstream Democratic views now render her as an oldschool Democrat from the byegone days. Happens to many when we live in a world of it's [current year] thinking.

It's funny you should mention the bygone days.  Cannabis (which I know you hate) was introduced to Western medicine in the 1800s and used as a medical plant for thousands of years before.  During the late 1800s and early 1900s, cannabis was so widely used in North America that there were over a hundred papers published in Western medical literature recommending it for various ailments.  Doctors would prescribe it to their parents for a multitude of things ranging from anxiety and stress to epilepsy and rabies.  Eventually it was sold over the counter at your local pharmacy.  Those were the "bygone days," before prohibition, when it became a DANGEROUS PLANT with zero medicinal value.  But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the thousands of people (disproportionately people of color) who've been locked up these last several decades.  Over a plant.

Instead of whining about your reactionary narc friends having to get real jobs, or about how terrible the world is because it doesn't quite reflect your worldview anymore (which I've done and still do often - not a great way to enjoy life, I might add), try actually learning about the things you protest against.  You're a molecular biologist or something, right?  You're a smart guy.  Learn something today.

I am not arguing that canabis was never, ever throughout history used prior to the 1960s when society collapsed and began allowing it.

lmao. How melodramatic. It's impossible to take you seriously.

Self, that was sarcasm. Learn to read context before you dish out insults. Or heck, the very sentence you quoted.
The Self
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2017, 11:25:03 AM »

Feinstein has finally gotten to the point where her formerly mainstream Democratic views now render her as an oldschool Democrat from the byegone days. Happens to many when we live in a world of it's [current year] thinking.

It's funny you should mention the bygone days.  Cannabis (which I know you hate) was introduced to Western medicine in the 1800s and used as a medical plant for thousands of years before.  During the late 1800s and early 1900s, cannabis was so widely used in North America that there were over a hundred papers published in Western medical literature recommending it for various ailments.  Doctors would prescribe it to their parents for a multitude of things ranging from anxiety and stress to epilepsy and rabies.  Eventually it was sold over the counter at your local pharmacy.  Those were the "bygone days," before prohibition, when it became a DANGEROUS PLANT with zero medicinal value.  But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the thousands of people (disproportionately people of color) who've been locked up these last several decades.  Over a plant.

Instead of whining about your reactionary narc friends having to get real jobs, or about how terrible the world is because it doesn't quite reflect your worldview anymore (which I've done and still do often - not a great way to enjoy life, I might add), try actually learning about the things you protest against.  You're a molecular biologist or something, right?  You're a smart guy.  Learn something today.

I am not arguing that canabis was never, ever throughout history used prior to the 1960s when society collapsed and began allowing it.

Self, that was sarcasm. Learn to read context before you dish out insults. Or heck, the very sentence you quoted.

I just don't care anymore. I'm tired of having to kowtow to you to avoid insulting you people and your delicate sensibilities.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »

I just don't care anymore. I'm tired of having to kowtow to you to avoid insulting you people and your delicate sensibilities.

You don't have to. But when you jump into a conversation, it's generally helpful to determine what was actually being said. That's kind of how communication works.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »

Yep the knives are out for Feinstein, and well deserved. Take her down.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2017, 12:15:27 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2017, 12:23:04 PM by Senator Scott »

It's funny you should mention the bygone days.  Cannabis (which I know you hate) was introduced to Western medicine in the 1800s and used as a medical plant for thousands of years before.  During the late 1800s and early 1900s, cannabis was so widely used in North America that there were over a hundred papers published in Western medical literature recommending it for various ailments.  Doctors would prescribe it to their parents for a multitude of things ranging from anxiety and stress to epilepsy and rabies.  Eventually it was sold over the counter at your local pharmacy.  Those were the "bygone days," before prohibition, when it became a DANGEROUS PLANT with zero medicinal value.  But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the thousands of people (disproportionately people of color) who've been locked up these last several decades.  Over a plant.

Instead of whining about your reactionary narc friends having to get real jobs, or about how terrible the world is because it doesn't quite reflect your worldview anymore (which I've done and still do often - not a great way to enjoy life, I might add), try actually learning about the things you protest against.  You're a molecular biologist or something, right?  You're a smart guy.  Learn something today.

I am not arguing that canabis was never, ever throughout history used prior to the 1960s when society collapsed and began allowing it. Of course it was, as were all sorts of drugs. Such a view would be incredibly sophomoric. However, it is clear that there is something of a social change going on today with regards to the legality of its use, and Senator Feinstein is one of the people whose views have suddenly become less popular. That was my point.

Well, there was obviously a social change that occurred around the time it became illegal.  That's why it became illegal.  When marijuana was banned, it became taboo.  The "pot culture" you see these days is a response to the Reefer Madness hysteria culture of the early 20th century.  Case in point: when something becomes taboo, people will eventually question it, and the backlash will be ten times worse to the people who wanted the issue stigmatized in the first place.  Would the folks who outlawed marijuana prefer modern day "pot culture" to the pre-prohibition period, when it wasn't viewed as such a big deal?  I don't think so.  So of course Feinstein's views would be unpopular.  In the 1990s and early 2000s, saying you were a liberal was political suicide, and that's why it was not a friendly period to supporters of liberalism.  (I know, two very different examples, but I hope you see my point here.)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can probably agree with you that most of those saying that marijuana is a "cure-all" are not arguing in good faith, but the fact that it's historically been used for a multitude of different ailments is why it has its "miracle drug" reputation.  I haven't read all the scientific literature on the matter.  Is a lot of it bunk?  Maybe, maybe not.  That's why investing in research and allowing the states to regulate the drug is so important.  The "abuse" you've mentioned from what I've read hasn't amounted to a hell of a lot, though.  Sure, we don't want children ingesting cannabis-laced gummies, especially without knowing what they are, but how often does that happen?  (I assume this is the type of abuse you were referring to?)  Alcohol abuse is a daily occurrence.  So perhaps if marijuana "abuse" is becoming such an epidemic (and I don't think it is), then our attitudes toward alcohol should be reexamined as well.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'll take back that last quip I made.  I apologize.  Sometimes I vent anger and frustration on here in ways that aren't necessarily appropriate.

But I share a lot of your frustrations, I think, with what the world has become.  I suspect this is for radically different reasons (though maybe not as radical they appear on the onset), but I'm under no delusion that the world is where it should be as far as morals are concerned.  On the other hand, the world has improved drastically in all sorts of ways, especially in areas of medicine and technology.  So the answer isn't to cling to the past, but to assess how we square our morals with this rapidly changing technological and social change.  Look ahead and build something completely different (which we might end up doing anyway if SHTF).  But that's for a completely different discussion, and I shouldn't have steered my last post that way.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2017, 07:40:21 PM »

what?  you have 54 posts.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2017, 10:52:57 AM »

From what I read legal prescription drugs (opiates) are far more harmful to American society than illegal substances. Legislation should be cracking down on pill mills and corporations pushing painkillers for profit.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »

Feinstein is terrific.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length