Atlantic: How the AHCA Could Cause an Economic Downturn
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:22:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Atlantic: How the AHCA Could Cause an Economic Downturn
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you agree or disagree with the report's theory?
Agree

Disagree

Unsure

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Atlantic: How the AHCA Could Cause an Economic Downturn  (Read 379 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/the-ahca-recession-report/530322/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Seems like the law is structured just well enough to dump a recession and healthcare disaster on whoever takes over as president in 2020 - 2028.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 05:01:31 PM »

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Republicans make a mess, and Democrats have to clean it up while also taking blame for the mess.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:39:37 PM »

I'm at least as worried (though it's not a competition) about the Financial CHOICE* Act because unlike AHCA it doesn't seem to be generating as much controversy. A deeply unfortunate side effect from this administration's daily outrages and scandals - which have made this country even number to political horrors than we had already been, ever since Vietnam and Watergate (and exponentially, at that).

*I'm convinced that the contemporary Republican Party thought 1984 was an instruction manual.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »

If the consequence of this legislation is simply an economic downturn - not to mention the millions who'll lose healthcare, pay higher premiums, and lose quality care - then what is the point of it? I understand that accompanying it are large tax cuts for the wealthy, but surely they must realize that those gains are merely temporary. That demonstrates absolutely zero long-term thinking...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

Republicans make a mess, and Democrats have to clean it up while also taking blame for the mess.

...Starting?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 10:55:24 PM »

That demonstrates absolutely zero long-term thinking...

I could list a number of reasons, and I'm sure most of them factor into the decision making at least somewhat:

1. From an ideological perspective, they don't want the govt providing any help. They are willing to toss these people off their plans because they do not believe the govt should be propping them up. Therefor, it has nothing to do with what is efficient or economically beneficial.

2. Special interests, donors and some of the Congressmen themselves, surely, want tax cuts and their interests don't really factor in the well-being of the country beyond what is applicable to them. I'm sure how different each entity is to this is up for debate, but knowing how the GOP operates, it would be absurd to say they aren't doing this in large part to free up revenue for redistribution to the wealthy.

3. They need to deliver a 'win' to the elements of their party that actually want ObamaCare repealed. These people/organizations can't simply be ignored. The activists and various supporting organizations must be fed.

and more of an underlying theme: humans in general aren't really long-term thinkers. We can, and we do think long-term, but it's not the foundation of how things work in our heads. American culture really hasn't helped in this respect, either. Political polarization has also eroded some of the mechanisms which kept Congress from acting so terribly the past decade or more.

If I had to rate these 3 in order of importance, I'd say probably 2 -> 3 -> 1. I wonder if I'm forgetting a factor here, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies