German legislative election, 2017 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:07:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  German legislative election, 2017 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
CDU/CSU

SPD

Die Linke (The Left)

AfD

FDP

Greens

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: German legislative election, 2017  (Read 5556 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« on: June 21, 2017, 01:37:15 PM »

Let's do a comparison with the last three polls we did on the very same subject here on Atlas.

"German Federal Election 2017". Started by Intell on March 7, 2017. 132 voters.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=260313.0

"2017 German Federal Election". Started by Kingpoleon on November 21, 2016. 72 voters.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=253075.0

"Next German Election". Started by Crabcake on March 6, 2016. 56 voters.
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=231418.0

SPD
March 2016: 14.3%
November 2016: 15.3%
March 2017: 29.8% (the Schulz effect!)
June 2017: 30.6%

AfD
March 2016: 21.4%
November 2016: 25.0%
March 2017: 21.4%
June 2017: 16.1%

Left
March 2016: 19.6%
November 2016: 22.2%
March 2017: 13.0%
June 2017: 24.2%

CDU/CSU
March 2016: 25.0%
November 2016: 20.8%
March 2017: 12.2%
June 2017: 6.5%

FDP
March 2016: 7.1%
November 2016: 12.5%
March 2017: 7.6%
June 2017: 16.1%

Greens
March 2016: 3.6%
November 2016: 4.2%
March 2017: 7.6%
June 2017: 6.5%

Others
March 2016: 8.9%
November 2016: 0.0%
March 2017: 8.4%
June 2017: N/A

What remains a bit of a constant is that the voting behavior on Atlas emulates that of a rural state in East Germany, considering that weak performance of the CDU probably Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 01:45:15 PM »

I also found an Atlas poll from December 2013:
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=183988.0

The results back then:

CDU/CSU 31.9%
FDP 18.8%
Left 17.4%
Greens 15.9%
SPD 10.1%
AfD 5.8%
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2017, 02:32:52 PM by Insert clever user name here »

Fortunately, I have more options on my ballot than these listed in the poll. If you don't know it already, I'm going to vote for the Free Voters (Freie Wähler).

Some things I find appalling about the major German parties:
CDU/CSU: unwilling to undertake major reforms
SPD: hypocritical and uninspiring
Die Linke: have some real nutjob politicians, but the more moderate reformist types are okayish
B90/Die Grünen: out of touch with the common people, no culture of open debate within the party
FDP: big-business lobbying organization
AfD: isolation won't get us anywhere

LOL, "too much" culture of open debate often constitutes one of the Greens' main problems compared to the other parties.

(Well, while I don't have a problem with it personally, it's a problem that the media tends to scandalize lack of conformity.)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2017, 04:03:32 PM by Insert clever user name here »

Boris Palmer, mayor of Tübingen and Green party member, spoke out in favour of limiting the number of refugees in Germany; putting up fences on the external borders of the EU; and deporting violent refugees back to their home countries, even if they're from Syria. A fellow Green party member mentioned Palmer's views in a speech at a party conference and literally told him to "just shut up". Is that a culture of open debate? That's not what I imagine.

Telling Boris Palmer to "shut up" is excersing free speech. Just like Boris Palmer is excersing free speech when he expresses those views you mentioned above.

As a matter of fact, Canan Bayram - the one who told Boris Palmer to "shut up" - also heavily criticized her own party's lead candidates in the very same speech. She compared Cem Özdemir and Katrin Göring-Eckardt to "CDU local-level chairman". And this was the inaugural adress of the whole convention, held right before party chairman Özdemir held his speech. Now, explain to me how this constitutes "a lack of open debate"? Do you know any other political party where it is even conceivable that the federal chairman of the party is critized in this manner in the inaugural adress of the whole convention? Is it even conceivable that Angela Merkel is called a "Green party local-level chairwoman" in the inaugural adress of a CDU national convention? Do you really think this is "a lack of open debate"?? Wouldn't it be in fact a lack of open debate had Canan Bayram not held her speech at the convention?

Has anyone within the party ever actively attempted to prevent Boris Palmer to speak at a Green convention? Has anyone within the party ever attempted to expel Boris Palmer from the party? Has anyone ever attempted to oust Boris Palmer as mayor of Tübingen? The answer is no on all three accounts. He's free to say anything he wants. He just shouldn't accept that everybody praises him over it. There's a right to free speech, not a right to be praised for your opinions.

As a side note... Canan Bayram was of course pandering to her own base in a pretty shameless manner. Bayram currently tries to succeed Hans-Christian Ströbele in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg as the only directly elected Green member of parliament. Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg is arguably one of the most left-wing electoral districts in the whole of Germany. And the Green voters in that district certainly constitute THE most left-wing Green voter base in any district anywhere. Harshly criticizing Boris Palmer scores points there. Harshly criticizing the lead candidates and chairmen of the national Green party also scores points there.

Canan Bayram was pandering to her base because in Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg it's either the Green Party or the Left Party who wins the district. Just like Boris Palmer is probably pandering to his base down in Baden-Württemberg with some of the remarks he usually makes. It's just politics. It's for that reason that I didn't really like Bayram's speech myself because it just came across like a opportunistic stunt to me. It was so obvious and transparent. Ah, well, and I didn't like it because I see no reason to unneccessarily trigger Boris Palmer. He just becomes totally insufferable for the next three months if you troll him like that. Of, course Bayram doesn't care about that either because she doesn't have to deal with Palmer directly up there in Kreuzberg.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies