NV-SEN: Rosen in
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:53:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NV-SEN: Rosen in
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: NV-SEN: Rosen in  (Read 22113 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 19, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »

Breaking, and extremely strange to me. If Team Reid wanted a frosh, why not Kihuen?
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »

The Senate's balance of Jewish women was upset last year when Boxer retired. It must be corrected.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 05:07:55 PM »

Powerful opponent since she is an active representative.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »

Very interesting. Has Titus decided? What about Kate Marshall, and others? I wonder how this affects the House seat, and how crowded the primary gets.
We don't know much about what kind of Rep/Sen she'll turn out to be, and she's trying to jump to the upper chamber just months after entering the House, sounds nakedly ambitious. And keep in mind, she won narrowly against a flawed opponent (awful perennial candidate Danny Tarkanian).
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 05:18:45 PM »

Very interesting. Has Titus decided? What about Kate Marshall, and others? I wonder how this affects the House seat, and how crowded the primary gets.
We don't know much about what kind of Rep/Sen she'll turn out to be, and she's trying to jump to the upper chamber just months after entering the House, sounds nakedly ambitious. And keep in mind, she won narrowly against a flawed opponent (awful perennial candidate Danny Tarkanian).

You're right about that. Many unknowns. I just think that she has somewhat of a good shot since she is more high-profile than a state sen for example. Also if it is an anti GOP Year she could win but she needs to be watched down the road. I still think Heller will pull it out but I'm gonna watch her
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 05:22:56 PM »

Ralston says DSCC picked her, told Marshall no. His February piece makes it sound like up-or-out for her, IDK why DSCC wanted her. She'll announce next month.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »

Makes sense. Moderate record who proved her mettle in a district Trump won.

Against a horrendous perennial Republican.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »

She must have seen some very promising polling to give up a House seat she could easily defend in 2018. Certainly what's been released publicly is encouraging for a Dem to challenge Heller.

Does having an announced challenger make Heller go wobbly on repealing ACA? 
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »

Let's put it this way: she's no Shelley Berkley.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2017, 06:11:56 PM »

Senator-elect Rosen
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 06:14:18 PM »

Also, @Brittain: she probably figured it might be better to go for a light blue Senate seat rather than defend a light red House seat every two years.

Yes, I agree. Doing the math on that it's not certain when the next voter turnout slump hits her district but surely she faces an election sometime when her base forgets to show up.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »

That's...unusual, to say the least. I can't really say I see the logic behind this one. I mean, she's a better candidate than Titus in the sense that she's younger and a newer name, but Rick Berg has already demonstrated that running freshman representatives for high-stakes Senate seats is a risky business.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 06:20:30 PM »

That's...unusual, to say the least. I can't really say I see the logic behind this one. I mean, she's a better candidate than Titus in the sense that she's younger and a newer name, but Rick Berg has already demonstrated that running freshman representatives for high-stakes Senate seats is a risky business.

Tom Cotton provides a counterexample, though. National environment matters.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 06:32:38 PM »

Some dumbies never learn do they...
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 06:39:53 PM »

Heller trails Generic Democrat candidate by alot and Hillary won by 6 pts this state
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 06:44:56 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2017, 06:48:24 PM by Bagel23 »

Heller trails Generic Democrat candidate by alot and Hillary won by 6 pts this state

That's one poll a gazzilion political years out from the election. Things change. Also stop spreading false bs, Clinton did not even win Nevada by 2.5 points, let alone 6:

http://silverstateelection.com/

Edit 1: This guy barely even speaks english, and spreads bs without backing it up. Don't believe it folks.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 06:47:16 PM »

Tom Cotton provides a counterexample, though. National environment matters.
I didn't even follow politics that much back in 2013, but I remember when Tom Cotton announced really soon that he'd run for Senate, I already saw the writing on the wall and he really just screamed "naked ambition" so, so obviously.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »

If Reid brings out the machine for another round, this seat is hers. And it certainly sounds like he is working hard behind the scenes.

Kihuen and Marshall should not be ruled out, regardless of who the DSCC is behind.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 10:20:19 PM »

If Reid brings out the machine for another round, this seat is hers. And it certainly sounds like he is working hard behind the scenes.

Kihuen and Marshall should not be ruled out, regardless of who the DSCC is behind.

I was personally banking on Aaron Ford. He's young, he's an established legislator, and he'd have minority appeal in a state where that's absolutely crucial.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 10:21:38 PM »

If Reid goes out, and Rosen is elected, will Rosen and Masto co-manage?
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »

Sounds kinda like a passing of the torch, really. Particularly if Democrats win the gubernatorial race too, Reid may feel at ease enough to hand off the machine for good. Governors usually have a greater impact on the state party's strength that senators. Reid was the exception to the rule

There may be something to that. I think Nevada is past being a swing state, so Reid's dominance of state politics may not be necessary any more.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 10:46:59 PM »

Remember guys, Jacky Rosen still has to defeat Jessee Sbaih and whoever else is running for the Democratic nomination.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »

Sounds kinda like a passing of the torch, really. Particularly if Democrats win the gubernatorial race too, Reid may feel at ease enough to hand off the machine for good. Governors usually have a greater impact on the state party's strength that senators. Reid was the exception to the rule

There may be something to that. I think Nevada is past being a swing state, so Reid's dominance of state politics may not be necessary any more.

I was thinking this myself, but plenty of Safe D constituencies are still run by machines.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2017, 01:47:49 AM »

Also, @Brittain: she probably figured it might be better to go for a light blue Senate seat rather than defend a light red House seat every two years.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Correct answer!

And when Harry Reid is in your corner, you've got the nomination half won. And if you ever want to run for Senate again yo'llu need to wait AT LEAST 6 years IF Heller is re-elected, and a better than even chance you'll be waiting much longer for the Democrat who takes the shot this year and wins to retire.
Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 04:38:54 AM »

I think out of Kihuen, Marshall and Titus she's probably the weakest candidate. Seems kinda weird the Nevada D's are already in her corner.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies