GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:39:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 49
Author Topic: GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread  (Read 69769 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:15 PM »

The GA-6 result tonight shows that the reluctant trump voter is still willing to give him a shot, even though they are saying they disapprove of him in . It also shows that dems need to do some massive lesson learning if they are to win back the house in '18.

2018 house rating: Lean R ---> Strong Lean R
Utterly delusional. Double digit swings in every special election, a president with a <40 approval rating. Everything points to a Dem wave

The House is too gerrymandered and the Senate map is too unfriendly in 2018. Maybe in 2024 or after Trump and the R party completely tear the country to shreds.

Until then, they can run full steam ahead on dog whistles and disrespecting the cultures of all sorts of peoples (i.e. minorities), while doing nothing that benefits the common American in practice. It'll come back to haunt them eventually, whether by self-destructive behavior or by actually running this country to the ground.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #976 on: June 20, 2017, 09:58:18 PM »

Ossoff couldn't even match his percentage in the 1st round. Sad!

There was a poll where half of Republican Iowa caucus goers supported single payer. Why should Democrats take a position to the right of most Americans on healthcare?

Iowa is different from GA-06.

Iowa is alot more open to government subsidize. GA-06 is dominated by well-off white people. Talking about single payer isn't going to win these people over.
Well, Berniecrats aren't the ones who said to put all the resources into winning districts like GA-06.

Democrats didn't.

Alot of Ossoff's cash came from small donations.

Over $6 million came from the DCCC. It's obvious they want to double down on the Hillary strategy of running a bland campaign that avoids the issues and try to win rich people in the sunbelt, while ignoring the midwest.

The most vulnerable Republicans are in the sunbelt, not in the midwest. Why target areas, where Trump is still doing fine approval ratings wise?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #977 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »

There was a poll where half of Republican Iowa caucus goers supported single payer. Why should Democrats take a position to the right of most Americans on healthcare?

Iowa is alot more open to government subsidize. GA-06 is dominated by well-off white people. Talking about single payer isn't going to win these people over.
Well, Berniecrats aren't the ones who said to put all the resources into winning districts like GA-06.

Democrats didn't.

Over $6 million came from the DCCC. It's obvious they want to double down on the Hillary strategy of running a bland campaign that avoids the issues and try to win rich people in the sunbelt, while ignoring the midwest.

The most vulnerable Republicans are in the sunbelt, not in the midwest. Why target areas, where Trump is still doing fine approval ratings wise?

This cannot be stressed enough. You play where the odds are better.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #978 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »

With all due respect to the participants of this thread, the analysis here is making my head hurt.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #979 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:02 PM »

With all due respect to the participants of this thread, the analysis here is making my head hurt.
YOU WILL LIKE IT

JK
AtorBoltox

« Reply #980 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »

Why are dems so self loathing? You complain that you never win anything, but you know what winners don't do? Constantly feel sorry for themselves and bitch about how they're doomed and can never come back
AtorBoltox

« Reply #981 on: June 20, 2017, 10:00:49 PM »

Democrats didn't.

Because reasons
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #982 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:04 PM »

Why are dems so self loathing? You complain that you never win anything, but you know what winners don't do? Constantly feel sorry for themselves and bitch about how they're doomed and can never come back

Stop deluding yourself with false hope. Realize that change has to happen and that Obama was the last good thing this party had happen in a long time. You want to win? You don't do it by chanting the same mantra and doing the same things over and over. You do it by changing what you do and that starts with looking at what's currently being done.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #983 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:22 PM »

Democrats didn't.

Is Trump's favorables in MI, WI, or PA higher than AZ, FL, NC, or GA though? Last I checked he was negative across the board.
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #984 on: June 20, 2017, 10:02:34 PM »

Ugh, I am utterly lost right now.

Democrats are showing huge swings in these special elections, but I have my doubts they will hold or be increased in 2018.

Of course, I'll be a little annoyed by Trump's inevitable "YUGE VICTORY, YOU'RE WELCOME KAREN" tweet. But what's worse is the Democrats tearing themselves inside out because of these special special elections.

I honestly have stopped caring whether we get Berniecrats or centrists elected -  I just need Democrats. Democrats wouldn't vote for Obamacare repeal, they wouldn't vote for the AHCA, they wouldn't vote for any of the awful things on Ryan, McConnell, and Trump's agenda.

I am scared for future, something I haven't felt so intensely since that evening in November.  
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #985 on: June 20, 2017, 10:03:06 PM »

Democrats didn't.

There's really a point of diminishing returns when you put all your eggs in one basket to try to prove that your neoliberal sunbelt district strategy is working.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #986 on: June 20, 2017, 10:05:58 PM »

Democrats are showing huge swings in these special elections, but I have my doubts they will hold or be increased in 2018.

Of course, I'll be a little annoyed by Trump's inevitable "YUGE VICTORY, YOU'RE WELCOME KAREN" tweet. But what's worse is the Democrats tearing themselves inside out because of these special special elections.

I honestly have stopped caring whether we get Berniecrats or centrists elected -  I just need Democrats. Democrats wouldn't vote for Obamacare repeal, they wouldn't vote for the AHCA, they wouldn't vote for any of the awful things on Ryan, McConnell, and Trump's agenda.

I am scared for future, something I haven't felt so intensely since that evening in November.  
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #987 on: June 20, 2017, 10:06:43 PM »

Masshole.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #988 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »

Democrats didn't.

There's really a point of diminishing returns when you put all your eggs in one basket to try to prove that your neoliberal sunbelt district strategy is working.

It isn't about proving anything, it is just common sense.

You play with the best hand you have been dealt with.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #989 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:07 PM »

Honestly I'm just glad this is over. It's been exhausting. I'm disappointed by the loss, but it doesn't hurt too much knowing how little an impact it will have on the 2018 races.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #990 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »

Masshole.
I'm proud of it Smiley
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #991 on: June 20, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »

I find it funny that Trump and Republican are celebrating about winning in Kansas, Montana, South Carolina, and Georgia.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #992 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »

The Atlas takes are the worst part of these special elections.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #993 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »

I've said the exact opposite, as I believe have many other posters. I'm actually very optimistic about our long-term prospects as a party (though I remain dreadfully pessimistic about the overall future of the country). You're right, this attitude is annoying and totally unproductive. Self-reflection is one thing, but I have little patience for the miserable self-deprecation my fellow Dems so frequently indulge in.

If Senate GOP passes repeal bill that even slightly resembles version that passed the house, they're finished after that like Dems were in 2010. It truly is as simple as that. Spoiler alert: People don't tolerate others messing with their healthcare, especially when they make it considerably worse. To deny that basic point shows a basic failure and inability to learn from the past.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #994 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »

America is just polarized. Independent voters are sort of a silent majority. However, not everyone is partisan.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #995 on: June 20, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »

Nah, national pundit takes are the worst part about special elections.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #996 on: June 20, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »

How many times have we had this dumb sun belt talk? The sun-belt strategy will be in play when Texas will be a win for Democrats (with Georgia & Arizona). Otherwise the Democratic party can never win elections - End of discussion. There are too many Senators in the rust/mid-west belt - PA, MI, OH, WI, MN, Iowa, IN - That is 14 Senators there, If Democrats keep losing here, they will never win elections. Same goes at the Presidential level. You have literally hacks in here.

Ossoff ran a mediocre campaign trying to be sort of a semi-conservative, people are tired of centrists, they will elect Trumpcare supporting Handel or reporter assaulting Gianforte instead. They spend so much money & did worse, worse than the run-off, worse than what Hillary did. In Kansas, there was 23-25% off swing, in Montana there was a 15% odd swing, here negative swing.

And they kept pouring money in & in. It is stupid like what Hillary did with endless Wall Street paid attack ads vs Trump. This is basic economics - Law of marginal returns which gets smaller & smaller. Ossoff ran a mediocre campaign & everything was about I oppose Trump, a 1 dimensional campaign. Hopefully Democrats get a better candidate in 2018, and demographics are swinging for the Democrats !
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #997 on: June 20, 2017, 10:11:39 PM »

By the way, I am for single-payer government healthcare. GOP should concede on health care and move on jobs and crime.

Obama should have focused on jobs and growth in his first term, this healthcare would not have decimated Democrats in 2010 and 2014.

I don't know if single-payer would have helped in 2010 either, the GOP would have turned out then as well.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #998 on: June 20, 2017, 10:11:43 PM »

Although I'm disappointed by the results in Georgia, I thank God for a safe and free election, and reluctantly respect the will of the majority. I don't know where to even look for 2018. Hopefully the DNC and DCCC will get their crap together by then, but I doubt it.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #999 on: June 20, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »

Nah, national pundit takes are the worst part about special elections.

Don't talk about the profession of future semi-attractive atlas posters like that.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies