GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:24:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 49
Author Topic: GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread  (Read 69679 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2017, 02:57:19 PM »

Purely anecdotal and probably stupid dribble on my end, but:

1. Earlier this AM many of the Pro-Handel/GOP/Trump people on Twitter were writing about how funny it will be when he "loses his Ossoff," "Lossoff loses," etc.

2. A lot of people on Twitter now posting about Ossoff busing in "illegal voters," the seat and victory was bought by Soros, etc.

So I guess I'm wondering whether there were Tweets/news reports about favorable ground for Ossoff during the day?

Anyone who understands Atlanta traffic, especially in bad weather, knows this is clearly infeasible. Wink

Hahaha. I've heard it's bad though I insist NYC can give it a run for its money..
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2017, 03:05:50 PM »

16,500 votes in Fulton County by 12:30. They are expecting 36,000 today.
https://mobile.twitter.com/TopAtlantaNow/status/877243954001047556
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2017, 03:09:37 PM »

36K in Fulton, which has over half the district's voters, doesn't seem like that much.  Wasn't overall Election Day turnout expected to be in the 100K neighborhood?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2017, 03:09:47 PM »

Is that a good Handel or Ossoff county? anyone have benchmarks for them to win county by county?
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2017, 03:11:51 PM »

Is that a good Handel or Ossoff county? anyone have benchmarks for them to win county by county?

It's a mix, with good areas for both.  Generally the more northern areas are R, the southern ones D (although this isn't absolute).  Regarding benchmarks, Gass3268 posted this upthread:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2017, 03:14:33 PM »

Thanks for the county breakdown. Now just to be clear, if Ossoff were to over perform in Fulton County let's say he wins 50.6% instead of the baseline 49.6% needed to win, that gives him some room to underperform elsewhere right?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2017, 03:15:43 PM »

36K in Fulton, which has over half the district's voters, doesn't seem like that much.  Wasn't overall Election Day turnout expected to be in the 100K neighborhood?

I could be totally wrong, but this seems like bad news for Handel. She needs a robust Election Day turnout.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »

Thanks for the county breakdown. Now just to be clear, if Ossoff were to over perform in Fulton County let's say he wins 50.6% instead of the baseline 49.6% needed to win, that gives him some room to underperform elsewhere right?

Yes, assuming the vote is distributed among the counties the way the original source expects it to be.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »

I could be totally wrong, but this seems like bad news for Handel. She needs a robust Election Day turnout.

Let me correct myself here...actually Fulton doesn't have quite half of the registered voters in the district.  It's Fulton 48%, Cobb 29%, DeKalb 23%.  And in the first round, the distribution of votes was Fulton 45%, Cobb 32%, DeKalb 23%.  However, in the early vote Fulton was 53%, Cobb 26%, Dekalb 21%.  So the trend then was for Fulton to have less of an Election Day turnout (relative to early vote) than the other two counties.  If that trend continues, then maybe today's turnout will be something close to 100K after all.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »

Let me correct myself here...actually Fulton doesn't have quite half of the registered voters in the district.  It's Fulton 48%, Cobb 29%, DeKalb 23%.  And in the first round, the distribution of votes was Fulton 45%, Cobb 32%, DeKalb 23%.  However, in the early vote Fulton was 53%, Cobb 26%, Dekalb 21%.  So the trend then was for Fulton to have less of an Election Day turnout (relative to early vote) than the other two counties.  If that trend continues, then maybe today's turnout will be something close to 100K after all.

And that would benefit whom and how much?
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »

Imagine how hilarious it would be if the Democrats lost GA-06 but won SC-05, lol.

Anyway, links to the NYTimes and AP results plz?

NYTimes results:
https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/georgia-congressional-runoff-ossoff-handel

For South Carolina:
https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/south-carolina-house-special-election
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2017, 03:30:58 PM »

Purely anecdotal and probably stupid dribble on my end, but:

1. Earlier this AM many of the Pro-Handel/GOP/Trump people on Twitter were writing about how funny it will be when he "loses his Ossoff," "Lossoff loses," etc.

2. A lot of people on Twitter now posting about Ossoff busing in "illegal voters," the seat and victory was bought by Soros, etc.

So I guess I'm wondering whether there were Tweets/news reports about favorable ground for Ossoff during the day?

Anyone who understands Atlanta traffic, especially in bad weather, knows this is clearly infeasible. Wink

Exclusive look at dastardly voter fraud operation:

GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2017, 03:32:14 PM »

It's expected that Ossoff will lead in the EV and Handel will lead in today's voting.  So in theory, a lower turnout today should benefit Ossoff.  How much?  Good question.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2017, 03:35:38 PM by Benedicamus Domino »

13,787 votes in DeKalb as of 3:00, about 1,000 more than R1
https://mobile.twitter.com/DecisionDeskHQ/status/877262286053941250
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »

DDHQ says it's about 1,000 more than R1, not less.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2017, 03:35:19 PM »

But with nearly three hours left. They will most likely exceed that especially in the last couple of hours when people leave work.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2017, 03:36:13 PM »

Yes sorry; in R1 32,000 people voted in DeKalb.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »

It's expected that Ossoff will lead in the EV and Handel will lead in today's voting.  So in theory, a lower turnout today should benefit Ossoff.  How much?  Good question.
Where also matter if Cobb voter share is lower than last time that not good for Handel Fulton is a wild card right now.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2017, 03:36:47 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2017, 04:14:26 PM by Virginia »

But with nearly three hours left. They will most likely exceed that especially in the last couple of hours when people leave work.

dekalb county democrats work long and hard hours and may or may not be able to get off of work to vote.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2017, 03:37:04 PM »

No, it's about 1K more than were cast at the same time of day in R1.  The total E-day vote for DeKalb in R1 was about 32K.
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2017, 03:38:01 PM »

Among early vote, signs that Ossoff campaign has succeeded in turning out more Asian and Hispanic voters. Black vote is up by more than 7000, though black voters account for a smaller overall percentage of the early vote than they did in April (about 1.1% less).
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »

dekalb county democrats, for the most part, either don't work or work at jobs like wendy's and raising cane's where they can't get off from work to vote

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »

Well, Romney isn't president now. Trump is, and he only won the district by 1. But you are right, this seat is more about the narrative anyway. My point was that I seriously doubt that many Democrats will be happy if Ossoff loses only by 1 or 2 instead of 10. They have set their expectations so high that anything other than a win would be a disappointment IMO.

However, isn't it significant if Ossoff finishes with 49% of the vote or something, and implies a sea shift in the college educated electorate?

Then it just means we are holding steady at '16 levels in terms of the demographic change of college-educated whites; but we don't need that special election to confirm that; we already see this pattern in cross tabs for public opinion polls.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2017, 03:52:26 PM »

Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2017, 03:53:28 PM »

dekalb county democrats, for the most part, either don't work or work at jobs like wendy's and raising cane's where they can't get off from work to vote
Sorry no the GA-400 Corridor is our version of the Collar/WOW counties. You can't buy a new home in this district less than 500k. Brookhaven and Dunwoody are not poor or working class by any means.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies