GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:34:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49
Author Topic: GA-06 and SC-05 election day & results thread  (Read 67980 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: June 20, 2017, 09:45:32 PM »

Surprised about how close SC was (considering Archie Parnell was basically ignored compared to Ossoff). If Dems had put in just a bit more effort there and Kansas it would have been a winnable race. The two where they did put in effort, well it didn't turn out well.

No.  Paradoxically, nationalizing the South Carolina race would have ultimately mobilized Republicans, not Democrats, to vote tonight.  Democrats turned out in SC-05.  Republicans largely stayed home.  As I said a few times in the Montana thread, national Democrats are probably better off staying out of the race (or at least remain deep behind the scenes) in Republican-favorable districts like MT-AL and SC-05.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #926 on: June 20, 2017, 09:45:35 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And?

Look what district he is in.

You are just the DC establishment personified aren't you.

lol, this isn't about being establishment.

This is common sense. This is a right-leaning district, so why would going all out to the left on healthcare be a smart move?

There was a poll where half of Republican Iowa caucus goers supported single payer. Why should Democrats take a position to the right of most Americans on healthcare?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #927 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »

Wow, my GA predictions were almost spot on. My SC was off, but yeah.

I never made a SC prediction (I rarely follow individual house races to start with) but I think we were the only two that were close--my prediction was Handel 54-46.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #928 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:19 PM »

So are these the "final unofficial" results or....?

Handel--- 128,231     (52.7%)
Ossoff---   115,126    (47.3%)

Total 2 Party Votes--- 243,357

Can anyone confirm?

Last I heard, the mail-in absentee vote was still out in Cobb and Fulton counties.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #929 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »

I'm so glad we still have Dem posters here brow-beating the left about how "unrealistic" their chances are. Hey, you guys just spent over $20 million and lost to another Republican ghoul. Maybe give us a chance at the reins of power in the Dem party  and we'll do a better job than you at actually WINNING.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #930 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:55 PM »

The Handel crowd goes crazy when she mentions Trump. They start chanting his name and everything.

That's just downright creepy brainwashed behavior there.

That is the Trump cult for you.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #931 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »

Jfern, if every democrat who lost has lost because they're not left wing enough, why did Quist lose by 6 points?

At least Quist ran ahead of Hillary's margin in MT by double digits. On the other hand, despite having 20 million dollars wasted on him, Ossoff still managed to underperform Clinton's loss to Trump in a "Romney Democrat" district.
It wasn't a "Romney Democrat" district. Trump and Price won it in 2016
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #932 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »

I'm so glad we still have Dem posters here brow-beating the left about how "unrealistic" their chances are. Hey, you guys just spent over $20 million and lost to another Republican ghoul. Maybe give us a chance at the reins of power in the Dem party  and we'll do a better job than you at actually WINNING.

They'd rather lose with a neoliberal than win with a progressive. The Democratic establishment isn't going to give up power willingly.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #933 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:43 PM »

"This is the umpteenth time our centrist sellout has lost to a lunatic, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it."
hueylong
Rookie
United States

« Reply #934 on: June 20, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »

Trump's approval ratings continue to decline, there are multiple crises which are going unaddressed because of this administration's incompetence, the Republicans are inexplicably messing with healthcare and are intent on passing a bill with <20% support nationwide and virtually no support whatsoever from any major medical organizations, important positions related to national security and emergency preparedness/responsiveness are still unfilled, Trump is already facing pressure from a gleeful Putin who's fully aware of our president's incompetence, he's facing the biggest political scandal since Watergate and is now personally under investigation, and all of that is just scratching the surface.

Yeah...

MAGA, am I right?

None of that will matter when Democrats can't win because less and less people vote.

I don't know what you mean by this. Democrats are excited and turning out, and they won't be the only ones motivated to vote if and when the Republicans decide to go all the way with their monstrosity of a bill.

Side note: Ossoff isn't going anywhere. There's a mass tendency among political commentators/observers to discount first-time candidates who lose in this fashion, but he's talented and this isn't the end for him by any stretch of the imagination. Handel herself is surely enjoying her victory tonight, but to be blunt she was a loser before this. I think if he plays his cards right he has a bright future.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #935 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:07 PM »

Just leaving this here...
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #936 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:36 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And?

Look what district he is in.

You are just the DC establishment personified aren't you.

lol, this isn't about being establishment.

This is common sense. This is a right-leaning district, so why would going all out to the left on healthcare be a smart move?

There was a poll where half of Republican Iowa caucus goers supported single payer. Why should Democrats take a position to the right of most Americans on healthcare?

Iowa is different from GA-06.

Iowa is alot more open to government subsidize. GA-06 is dominated by well-off white people. Talking about single payer isn't going to win these people over.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:47 PM »

The Dems just lost a sh*t-ton of money, lmao.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #938 on: June 20, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

Trump's approval ratings continue to decline, there are multiple crises which are going unaddressed because of this administration's incompetence, the Republicans are inexplicably messing with healthcare and are intent on passing a bill with <20% support nationwide and virtually no support whatsoever from any major medical organizations, important positions related to national security and emergency preparedness/responsiveness are still unfilled, Trump is already facing pressure from a gleeful Putin who's fully aware of our president's incompetence, he's facing the biggest political scandal since Watergate and is now personally under investigation, and all of that is just scratching the surface.

Yeah...

MAGA, am I right?

None of that will matter when Democrats can't win because less and less people vote.

Tell it Jeremy Corbyn

The Dems have been running centrist trash all my life. It dosen't work and it never will. The GOP keeps pushing further and further right and they only win more. It's time for Dems to get a ing clue and chuck Pelosi, Hoyer, Perez, Schumer, et all to the side

It has always been the left that needs to sacrifice control and "be realistic" while the center has lost everything.

But no doubt they will double down on this terrible strategy of targeting the mythical moderate Republicans. "We only lost by a few points", they'll say, and we'll see a bunch of Jon Ossoff clones running in vulnerable Republican districts in 2018.
I see you changed your avatar

I'm done being a "member" of the Democrats. I'll vote for whomever runs against Erik Paulsen in MN-03 next year, but I can't keep calling myself a "Democrat".

Glad we came to this point around the same time!

Tell it Jeremy Corbyn

The Dems have been running centrist trash all my life. It dosen't work and it never will. The GOP keeps pushing further and further right and they only win more. It's time for Dems to get a ing clue and chuck Pelosi, Hoyer, Perez, Schumer, et all to the side

It has always been the left that needs to sacrifice control and "be realistic" while the center has lost everything.

But no doubt they will double down on this terrible strategy of targeting the mythical moderate Republicans. "We only lost by a few points", they'll say, and we'll see a bunch of Jon Ossoff clones running in vulnerable Republican districts in 2018.

They exist. GA is more conservative than VA and NC.

The Democratic Party is already left-wing. You have tax-raisers and anti-military folks. C'mon.

When your standards for being left wing are "wants to raise taxes" and "Thinks the US military could stand to tone it down a notch", you are DEFINITELY a centrist.

I want the U.S. military to tone it down too, but if anyone attacks America, what do you do? Sit there and take it? A stronger military is a good military. Do you want us to be a laughing stock?

Yes, taxes should be raised on the rich in some degree, but don't make people feel like they can't achieve and do well in life. You can't abolish wealth. Taxes should be raised, but don't tax people like crazy.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #939 on: June 20, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »

They'd rather lose with a neoliberal than win with a progressive. The Democratic establishment isn't going to give up power willingly.

That's it. That's the entire Democratic Party.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #940 on: June 20, 2017, 09:49:35 PM »

I want the U.S. military to tone it down too, but if anyone attacks America, what do you do? Sit there and take it?

Yes, taxes should be raised on the rich in some degree, but don't make people feel like they can't achieve and do well in life. You can't abolish wealth. Taxes should be raised, but don't tax people like crazy.
I always thought a flat tax was reasonable
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #941 on: June 20, 2017, 09:49:37 PM »

Just wait until we come close to taking the House in 2018, and they spin it as another moral victory.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #942 on: June 20, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »

Ossoff couldn't even match his percentage in the 1st round. Sad!

Iowa is different from GA-06.

Iowa is alot more open to government subsidize. GA-06 is dominated by well-off white people. Talking about single payer isn't going to win these people over.

Well, Berniecrats aren't the ones who said to put all the resources into winning districts like GA-06.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #943 on: June 20, 2017, 09:49:48 PM »

Scott, you're smart enough to realize that Quist and Thompson getting the boatloads of money Ossoff got would've been negatives for their campaigns.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #944 on: June 20, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »

The GA-6 result tonight shows that the reluctant trump voter is still willing to give him a shot, even though they are saying they disapprove of him in polling. It also shows that dems need to do some massive lesson learning if they are to win back the house in '18.

2018 house rating: Lean R ---> Strong Lean R
AtorBoltox

« Reply #945 on: June 20, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »

Jfern, why do you constantly use Trumpian language?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #946 on: June 20, 2017, 09:51:33 PM »

Scott, you're smart enough to realize that Quist and Thompson getting the boatloads of money Ossoff got would've been negatives for their campaigns.

So the best campaign doesn't raise any money?

Jfern, why do you constantly use Trumpian language?

Sad!"  is a common expression on this forum.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #947 on: June 20, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »

Does anyone think that a Sanders clone would have won either of these races? Be honest.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #948 on: June 20, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »

Not sure what that has to do with the graphic, but um, okay.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #949 on: June 20, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »

I hope this 2017 is to 2018 as 2009 was to 2010. But I doubt it.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies