Uni Degrees
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Uni Degrees
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Uni Degrees  (Read 688 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »

Since I might go to uni again- how useful is an economics or political science degree in getting a good paying job.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »

I've no idea about the degrees themselves, but I can say a huge chink of it will be the experience you build up alongside those degrees.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »

economics > poli sci. I started off in poli sci, realized it was largely worthless, and my 4th and 5th years went to the U of C graduate school of business. I found economics fascinating and highly useful in my legal career, and now in thinking about public policy issues in my locality.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2017, 12:29:23 PM by DavidB. »

Do economics, but don't go to a substandard university where you pay too much and end up with a massive debt. Look for options outside the U.S.; it may be cheaper, at a better level.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »

Ideally, shoot for an engineering degree of some sort if you are able and interested, but of those options, Econ > Poly-sci for sure.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:33 PM »

Since I might go to uni again- how useful is an economics or political science degree in getting a good paying job.

Do economics over political science and go to an instate university as those are much cheaper.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »

They're... um... rather different subjects, be aware.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 01:47:52 PM »

Just don't study anything involving Modern Standard Arabic grammar. I'm serious.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 02:07:42 PM »

Happiness > money.  Whatever you do, don't do something you think you'll end up hating.

FWIW my dad got a degree in economics at Bates.  Not only did he hate the subject, but it was useless to him as a software engineer at the company he worked for.  And his job paid very well.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 05:57:00 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2017, 05:59:04 PM by Solitude Without a Window »

They're... um... rather different subjects, be aware.

This.

Do poli sci if you like doing research for research's sake (or possibly teaching). Economics probably opens up more career opportunities, but the downside is that, well, it's economics. Considering your political perspective, I think you'd hate it as much as I do.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »

Look up a construction job on Craigslist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »

or HVAC classes at the local community college.
Foucaulf
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »

How long has this thread gone on without recognizing the OP is from Australia?

Even though Australian tuition seems like they're on par, if not above, the Commonwealth average (thousands of local currency per year), it is possible that going to school is not the best idea. Much comes down to why exactly you're "going to uni again."

Though I think going to university is a good idea, I am weary of a trend where someone chooses a "marketable"/"rigorous" major while doing only "fluffy" extracurriculars on the side. Since changing courses in Commonwealth/public systems is harder than in US private systems, certain posters on Atlas are even more blindsided by the disadvantages. God forbid if the Australian "Tankies" get to OP while he's on campus, too.

It is smarter to choose a major that you are genuinely interested in, even if it's "fluffy," and focus on hard extracurricular activities: learning a programming language, regularly writing or composing, building a professional portfolio, etc.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 01:03:19 AM »

A friend of mine did International Relations at the University of Sydney, and is now perfectly gainfully employed.

My understanding of the Australian university system as that it is like the UK where, unless you want to go into a specific career (engineering or the like), then it is pretty much irrelevant what subject you do - what is important is demonstrating that you have learned key "employable" skills; like problem solving, team work, communication, being able to manage yourself more than being able to go into an entry level job with a specific technical skillset.

So the choice between economics and PoliSci doesn't matter at the end of the day, as a good PoliSci course will include a fair bit of data analyisis and an ability to show a basic level of numeracy.

Do what you find most interesting, and to echo Foucaulf, make sure that you have a good number of side projects that you can talk about on your CV and you'll be fine.

That said, going to a "good" university probably counts for a bit - think Uni of Sydney rather than Kuring-gai technical college or whatever.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »

Not very, unless you have connections. I don't know anyone with a degree in either field who is working in that field except professors, and there is a 9:1 ratio of applicants to jobs for professors.

Don't do something you hate because of the employability or money, but don't take on student loans for something when you're probably not getting a job, either.

This is coming from someone who once tried to go into engineering and hated it and ended up with an F in every class and like $15K wasted... again, do not major in something you don't like!

I'm American, and you're likely in Australia, so take this with a little bit of a grain of salt, but since is sounds like changing majors there is even harder than it is here, engineering is even less of an attractive option.

Also, as someone who has been both poor and rich, happiness is more important than money, but also understand that you'll be a lot less happy if you're barely paying the bills each month and your utilities get intermittently shut off. So happiness and money are a balancing act but are also intertwined to a degree.

So I don't know what you should do, but those are things to consider.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2017, 06:47:56 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2017, 06:56:41 AM by mvd10 »

Do economics, but don't go to a substandard university where you pay too much and end up with a massive debt. Look for options outside the U.S.; it may be cheaper, at a better level.

Tilburg Cheesy

I guess the job prospects are better with economics, but don't choose solely on basis of job prospects, you really don't want to end up in a field you just don't like (but if you like economics, by all means go and study it). That doesn't mean you should study Arab intersectional feminist studies though. But I'm really not familiar with job prospects for people with a political science degree.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »

History is a better discipline than either Tongue.

But seriously, if you're going for a 'squishy' degree, they all have equal applications to your job prospects. They show employers that you can think and work. What will matter is what you do over your extended breaks re: internships, research experience, &c &c.

@Torie - no way! I'm a current UofC undergrad.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »

Any UNI degree will be largely worthless.

LOL, just kidding, great school!  We just like giving our friends shlt.

As for your question, I'd go with economics, but I'm pretty biased.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 02:33:13 PM »

I was originally doing Public Administration, but when I realized that A. I want to work in human services and B. that degree was going to take waaaaay too long, I changed to a double major in Sociology and Criminal Justice.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »

Making fun of Iowa is basically a requirement for living in Illinois.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2017, 08:47:26 PM »

Making fun of Iowa is basically a requirement for living in Illinois.

We did in Wisconsin, but now we are becoming Iowa Sad
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 08:52:13 PM »

Depends on what part of the state.  Downstate we made fun of Missouri (specifically their horrible drivers) more than we made fun of Chicago and Iowa wasn't even thought about.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:20 PM »

Depends on what part of the state.  Downstate we made fun of Missouri (specifically their horrible drivers) more than we made fun of Chicago and Iowa wasn't even thought about.
Rich for FIBs to make fun of other states' drivers!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »

Depends on what part of the state.  Downstate we made fun of Missouri (specifically their horrible drivers) more than we made fun of Chicago and Iowa wasn't even thought about.
Rich for FIBs to make fun of other states' drivers!

Yeah, the fast driving extends WAY beyond Chicagoland.  You just have to drive through Peoria or Champaign during the work day or spend some time on I-74 to know that people are going about 20 over statewide.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 08:18:07 PM »

Depends on what part of the state.  Downstate we made fun of Missouri (specifically their horrible drivers) more than we made fun of Chicago and Iowa wasn't even thought about.
True... the Show Me How to Drive State
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies