The Atlantic: How Democrats Lost Their Way on Immigration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Atlantic: How Democrats Lost Their Way on Immigration (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlantic: How Democrats Lost Their Way on Immigration  (Read 6741 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: June 21, 2017, 02:18:49 AM »

Immigrants are people too, throwing them under the bus because muh americans is disgusting and unforgivable.

Oh please, spare me the "throwing them under the bus" garbage. Their own countries can take care of them, it's not our responsibility. We have to take care of our own citizens first, then if there is anything left over we can give aid to foreign countries. Why is it that you guys always seem to care more about the welfare of foreigners than your own countrymen? It's that perception of your priorities that cost you an easily winnable election, and gives greater credence to the idea that you only care about importing future voters.

I will believe someone talking about "taking care of our own citizens first" when they're willing to stop the predatory financial sector, the destructive corporations, the abusive billionaires and the captive government. If you ignore these while complaining about immigration, you're focusing on hangnails while you bleed to death internally. (And I truly don't know where you stand on any of this.)

I am left leaning on the economy. I wanted Obama to break up the banks when we had the chance back in 2009. I wanted tougher regulations on CDS and other financial instruments that brought us to the brink of ruin back then. I want higher taxes on the wealthy and universal healthcare by expanding Medicare and Medicaid, not the piece of crap Obamacare that was a giveaway to private insurers. I want the debt ceiling to be eliminated so it can't be used as a hostage to cut spending programs that were already authorized by previous Congresses. I want tougher rules on campaign donations, and a constitutional amendment to limit wealthy people and corporations from flooding the airwaves with campaign commercials for their crony candidates.

But before you do any of that you need to gain control over your borders to determine what goods and people get to cross. Democrats had complete control over the government, and they could have nuked the filibuster to pass more progressive legislation, but they didn't do it. They are corporate whores that want to import the 3rd world so their masters get cheap labor, and they can use identity politics to get those new arrivals to become reliable Democratic voters, all while continuing a neoliberal agenda. It's the same playbook the Republicans ran for decades, only theirs was to use religious wedge issues to dupe their base. Trump was just the only chance I saw to shake up that system. Now he's looking more and more like another establishment Republican, so my only hope is the Democrats come around to my side on the issues of immigration and trade, otherwise I'll have no party.

The Democrats will never come around on that issue because their base is now high end and technocratic.

Trump is not going to be the Calvin Coolidge of Republican Populism, he is morel ike the McKinley. McKinley was known for protectionism primarily, but his nomination pushed the party in a direction of being for business and against gov't leading to Presidencies like Coolidge. The first nomination pushing in that direction is going to look at lot more like the traditional nominee then the nominee to come a decade or two later as the that transformation continues.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 06:03:58 PM »

Was Obama racist when he ran on cracking down on employers who hire illegals in 2008, and espousing at least lip service to the lie that is comprehensive immigration reform's inherent promise of enforcing immigration laws on all future illegals, not just criminals?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 06:55:57 PM »

Immigrants are people too, throwing them under the bus because muh americans is disgusting and unforgivable.

Oh please, spare me the "throwing them under the bus" garbage. Their own countries can take care of them, it's not our responsibility. We have to take care of our own citizens first, then if there is anything left over we can give aid to foreign countries. Why is it that you guys always seem to care more about the welfare of foreigners than your own countrymen? It's that perception of your priorities that cost you an easily winnable election, and gives greater credence to the idea that you only care about importing future voters.

I will believe someone talking about "taking care of our own citizens first" when they're willing to stop the predatory financial sector, the destructive corporations, the abusive billionaires and the captive government. If you ignore these while complaining about immigration, you're focusing on hangnails while you bleed to death internally. (And I truly don't know where you stand on any of this.)

I am left leaning on the economy. I wanted Obama to break up the banks when we had the chance back in 2009. I wanted tougher regulations on CDS and other financial instruments that brought us to the brink of ruin back then. I want higher taxes on the wealthy and universal healthcare by expanding Medicare and Medicaid, not the piece of crap Obamacare that was a giveaway to private insurers. I want the debt ceiling to be eliminated so it can't be used as a hostage to cut spending programs that were already authorized by previous Congresses. I want tougher rules on campaign donations, and a constitutional amendment to limit wealthy people and corporations from flooding the airwaves with campaign commercials for their crony candidates.

But before you do any of that you need to gain control over your borders to determine what goods and people get to cross. Democrats had complete control over the government, and they could have nuked the filibuster to pass more progressive legislation, but they didn't do it. They are corporate whores that want to import the 3rd world so their masters get cheap labor, and they can use identity politics to get those new arrivals to become reliable Democratic voters, all while continuing a neoliberal agenda. It's the same playbook the Republicans ran for decades, only theirs was to use religious wedge issues to dupe their base. Trump was just the only chance I saw to shake up that system. Now he's looking more and more like another establishment Republican, so my only hope is the Democrats come around to my side on the issues of immigration and trade, otherwise I'll have no party.

The Democrats will never come around on that issue because their base is now high end and technocratic.

Trump is not going to be the Calvin Coolidge of Republican Populism, he is morel ike the McKinley. McKinley was known for protectionism primarily, but his nomination pushed the party in a direction of being for business and against gov't leading to Presidencies like Coolidge. The first nomination pushing in that direction is going to look at lot more like the traditional nominee then the nominee to come a decade or two later as the that transformation continues.

Hahaha.

Source?

Perhaps he might mean the base of the donor class or cadre class.

Yes of course.

Money talks after all.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:14 PM »

Hahaha.

Source?

Perhaps he might mean the base of the donor class or cadre class.

Yes of course.

Money talks after all.

Then the "Republican base" is just as unlikely to do what that guy desires.

If Money still talked on the GOP side, Jeb Bush would be the nominee. The GOP base is so angry at their own party, that money doesn't over power that anger.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies