538: Georgia 6 Is All About The Voters Who Reluctantly Backed Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:00:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  538: Georgia 6 Is All About The Voters Who Reluctantly Backed Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 538: Georgia 6 Is All About The Voters Who Reluctantly Backed Trump  (Read 889 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:55:39 PM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/georgia-6-is-all-about-the-voters-who-reluctantly-backed-trump/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

3 attributes to reluctant Trump supporters:

So these would be the "soft" Trump supporters. Regarding GA-6, what I wonder is exactly how many of those people have already defected from Trump? Trump barely won the district in 2016, and Ossoff barely lost the district in the primary. Now, the electorates surely were not replicated voter-for-voter, but overall it seems like at least as of April, most of those soft supporters were still in the Republican camp. If they had since moved, wouldn't Ossoff be unambiguously leading in the polls by now? If he does win narrowly, then it might suggest only a marginal amount flipped, which means Democrats still have work to do.

I have to admit though, it is pretty amazing they he has still retained a lot of their support even through 2 months of massive scandal.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:01:16 PM »

All good points, but I think turnout/enthusiasm also play an important role. Those two are related, since reluctant Trump voters might feel less motivated to turn out.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »

What about the college experience makes someone less supportive of protectionism, immigration restrictions, nationalism, etc?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:20:13 PM »

What about the college experience makes someone less supportive of protectionism, immigration restrictions, nationalism, etc?

Anyone who has been exposed to economic courses - many of them VERY conservative - have a distaste for protectionism, as it's simply a bandaid for the inevitable.  We shouldn't be doing things we're not the best at, or at least better than those countries who we could trade with.  I wouldn't say immigration restrictions or nationalism are necessarily "driven out of you" at college, but I would say it's more likely that if you DIDN'T go to college, you'd find them more appealing?  Not sure, really.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:27:30 PM »

What does nationalism even mean, anymore? When I grew up it was a synonym for patriotism. Trump is the least nationalist/patriotic president since WW2, by far.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies